Author Topic: Safe mode on laptop  (Read 4165 times)

Offline colion

• View Profile
Safe mode on laptop
« on: August 03, 2018, 05:18:25 am »
I am trying to use the Windows repair program and running in safe mode is strongly recommended.  When I ask the program to run in safe mode it stays in regular mode.  The computer is connected to a wi-fi network.  Then as instructed by the program I tried to enter safe mode manually by using F8 during start up and chose Safe Mode with Networking, opened logon screen, entered password but password was not accepted.  I'm stumped.  Would appreciate any suggestions that can get me going.  I'm using Windows 10 Pro that is up to date.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 05:36:30 am by colion »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Safe mode on laptop
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 07:23:48 am »
I wasn't aware that F8 still worked in Win 10 to get into the advanced boot options.

Normally you would press and hold SHIFT throughout a Restart until they came up to click on Troubleshoot.

Click on the button in the repair program to boot into Safe Mode with Networking.

Win 10 disables wifi in Safe Mode so you would normally Ethernet connect, but you can still manually reconnect to wireless.

When you get into Safe Mode with Networking, press CTRL+ALT+DEL then click on the wireless icon in the taskbar then on Connect for your SSID.

Left click away to close that window then click on Cancel where you should then see a full wireless icon.

Why do you need to run the repair program and are you using the latest version of 4.0.24 ?

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 08:10:07 am »
Also, I'd only just noticed that there is an option to boot into Safe Mode in the Right-Click Menu of the Windows Repair Tray Icon.
Iain

ThinkPad T450s W10 Pro x64
Windows Defender, Malwarebytes Premium
Macrium Reflect 7 Home, Tweaking WRAIO Pro

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 08:24:34 am »
Also, I'd only just noticed that there is an option to boot into Safe Mode in the Right-Click Menu of the Windows Repair Tray Icon.

You don't even have to right click it - it comes up with a normal left click, but I had forgotten about it.

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 08:35:39 am »

You don't even have to right click it - it comes up with a normal left click, but I had forgotten about it.

So it does - I'm a compulsive right-clicker by default, generally easier than trundling through drop-down menus in infrequently used programs most of the time
Iain

ThinkPad T450s W10 Pro x64
Windows Defender, Malwarebytes Premium
Macrium Reflect 7 Home, Tweaking WRAIO Pro