Author Topic: Pro Licence 1 PC - Bad Sectors - New PC  (Read 4041 times)

Offline Bravo723

• View Profile
Pro Licence 1 PC - Bad Sectors - New PC
« on: August 03, 2018, 10:40:49 am »
I would really like to know before I purchase a Pro Licence for 1 PC if it is transferable to a new PC (I am assuming a licence is only active for 1 year, though only because I see that the tech licence is only for 1 year so if Pro is for life of the PC then this may not be as valid a question in needing an affirmative) as I have known that I have had the same bad sector of 4kb for over a year now (been spooked that I may restart & not have a working PC each time I do a restart) & along with new problems arising I fear this Laptop PC may be on its last legs no matter what I do. Or if I just install a new hard drive though as I do not have the original windows installation disk as it was purchased from a refurbish store in 2013-14 (with win 8 x64 upgraded to win 10 x64) I am not sure if I have or can even find the Key that was used so I can reactivate my windows on a new installed HD. I do have an unopened Windows 8.1 x64 disk that I purchased with a lot of components to build a better desktop PC (purchased at the end of 2014 into 2015 so really out of date being 1 of the last Asus DDR3 MB's, think it is a Crossfire V & only a Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB OC V2) & have just let them sit since then unbuilt (being 100% disabled I have forgotten to much about exactly how I used to put my old PC's together as well as I am bedridden so I can not sit at a table top bending & stretching to instal & connect what needs to be done even if I could or can actually remember once I took at look at what went where.
  So is the Pro licence transferable or is it for the life of the PC or Windows Key used?

Also if I do need to install a new HD or just reinstall Windows on my Laptop, can you post the link to a site where windows can still be freely upgraded to 10 from 8 as I had have heard (maybe from you or Jays5cents) that it was a time limit thing but whichever of you 2 I heard it from also said it could still be done free online without having to purchase a new win 10 licence?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Pro Licence 1 PC - Bad Sectors - New PC
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 02:55:56 pm »
The licence is for life on one machine.

However, if you bought the Pro version and put it onto that machine and the HDD did fail, you would be able to put everything onto the new HDD by means of a system image you had created onto external media of the failed HDD - you wouldn't need to reinstall Windows or anything else.

You would need a Win 10 install disk or USB to boot with to select the image restore option and you can do that after reading the instructions at https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Because of your disability, should the HDD fail then perhaps it would be best to get someone to do it for you.