Author Topic: slow boot and startup  (Read 3433 times)

Offline skram1985

• View Profile
slow boot and startup
« on: September 19, 2018, 11:03:48 am »
My windows 10 takes around  3 minutes to boot and startup. I have reset my PC and it doesn't help. Will this repair tool help in solving boot problems?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: slow boot and startup
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 03:27:20 pm »
Probably not.

Fast startup can actually cause boot problems and it may be that you have quite a lot of items in your Start-up menu.

To turn off fast startup, go Start - type control panel and press enter when it comes up - you may need to expand Control Panel to All Control Panel Items to click on Power Options.

If you are using a desktop PC then select Choose what the power buttons do but if using a laptop, select Choose what closing the lid does then click on Change settings that are currently unavailable which will activate the check boxes below.

Uncheck the one for Turn on fast start-up and Save Changes then reboot to see if it has any effect on your boot time.

For your start up items you will need to right click on the taskbar and select Task Manager.

If you've never been into Task Manager before, you will be presented with a blank window - simply click on More details bottom left.

Click on the Start-up tab then disable all items by clicking on them and then on Disable.

While some will be listed as low, they all mount up.

If they haven't been assessed yet, then close up Task Manager and restart then go back into Task Manager/Start-up

The only item I have enabled in there is for Realtek HD Audio Manager - there's generally no need for any programs and such like to be enabled.

Again, restart to see if there's any improvement.

If using a HDD then check to see if it requires defragging.

You may also want to run an antimalware scan and check that all of your drivers are up to date.

My boot time has increased slightly following subsequent updates, but so far, a minute and a quarter is about as long as it takes.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 03:38:08 pm by Boggin »