Author Topic: Just Repairs or Maintenance  (Read 3681 times)

Offline Homer712

• View Profile
Just Repairs or Maintenance
« on: September 30, 2018, 03:19:10 pm »
Been looking at the Windows Repair Pro for a while now but have what may seem like a basic question. My Dell laptop seems to be running fine. Windows 10, latest updates and I keep up with Windows Defender, Malwarebytes Pro and daily differential backups with Macrium Reflect. But there's always that lurking suspicion that there may be errors that I'm not seeing. Is Windows Repair Pro intended to only "fix" things when you're in trouble, or is it something you may want to run occasionally just to keep things under the hood in tune? Thank you. 

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Just Repairs or Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 12:26:07 am »
I look upon the windows repair program as something to run when a sfc /scannow is unable to repair something and I would advise creating a system image before running it.

However, with Win 10 it must be the easiest version of Windows in which to run a repair install as no product key is required and install media is easily available to create.

As you probably know, a repair install doesn't affect personal stuff or installed programs as the Win 10 Reset does.

Install media can be created after reading the instructions at https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Windows Repair isn't a tune up program so unless there's something wrong, there's no need to run it.

I bought the Pro version to support Shane in the work he has done and continues to do to maintain the program.

Offline Homer712

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 05:44:55 am »
Thank you for the clear explanation. Ran sfc /scannow and it found no issues. But, I agree that supporting Shane for the work put into Windows Repair is a good thing for the community. I will download/purchase the Pro version just to have it in my back pocket in case of one of those bump in the night moments.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 07:53:32 am »
He will appreciate that :)

Offline Astara

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 05:22:43 pm »
BTW, have you tested restoring a file with your backup solution.

You said 'incremental, is that from the previous day or from the baseline?

How often does it create a baseline?

How many restore images would you have to go through for a complete restore?

Just curious....since I've not really found any solution I'm happy with for windows.

Vs., BTW, my linux's XFS drives that come with a 1980's era dump/restore using
incremental from levels.

Idea is to rotate the levels (0-9), in like a "tower of hanoi" order so to restore disk at any point is at most 3-4  restores (from dumps).  Unfortunately its all cmd-line, and unfortunately, there's no Windows version (xfs file system isn't on Windows .. sigh).