Author Topic: Tweaking put PC in perpetual safe mode  (Read 5298 times)

Offline kcwizard

• View Profile
Tweaking put PC in perpetual safe mode
« on: October 15, 2018, 11:20:08 am »
Running Windows 10 Enterprise, Version 1809 (OS Build 18247.1001), Windows Repair 2018 (v4.3 Pro).  After running the repair program, following suggested procedure, everything seemed to be reset as expected.  BUT THEN, following the restart, the system wanted to start in safe mode expecting a safe mode password (Password would not work).  Ran Hiren's BootCDPE (v1.0.0) to reset password, rebooted back into safe mode (because that was the only available option).  Once into the system, my profile was gone, system wanted to be activated, few programs or apps would run (only those NOT dependent upon a valid profile).  Could get to the internet, but no standard Windows Services were started... just bare bones ala safe mode with networking.  Reboot to troubleshooting, command prompt, BCDEDIT /enum did not show safeboot as an indicated status.  Untimely to get back to "normal", got back to troubleshooting and rolled back system updates to previous version of Windows, which is as indicated above.

Don't know what happened, but I was ready to rebuild and not really in the mood.  Any thought would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Tweaking put PC in perpetual safe mode
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 01:12:41 pm »
So have you got the machine back to normal now ?

I'll pass this onto Shane.

Offline kcwizard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 03:17:18 pm »
Back to normal, as normal can be.  It was a matter of reversing alleged updates to previous Windows version.  Although, The supposed old Windows is indeed the most current, updates and all.  Very strange.  Thanks for following up.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 03:28:35 pm »
I've had a reply back from Shane but he is unable to replicate it so he's going to run the repair program on another Win 10.

Not sure when I'll get a reply to that but I'm off to roost shortly as it's about 11.30pm here in the UK.

Offline kcwizard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 06:34:17 pm »
Thanks again.  IT could be that my computer is actually "jacked" in some fashion as well.  Although I can easily reproduce the problem (unfortunately I actually had the problem twice.  Sometimes you never learn.  After the first time I did save a restore point but could never retrieve it.)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 12:44:11 am »
It's been found that the program doesn't actually create a restore point even though it says it does if you use that option - so it's best not to rely on that one, but it does auto back up the registry.

However, before I test run it, I always create a Macrium system image first as my fall back.

Offline jpm

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 02:29:57 pm »
I wonder if your were to run msconfig is the boot in selective startup  button was locked in.

Offline prettyclaire82

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2018, 03:48:50 pm »
I also got hit with this bug, and had to do a windows install over the top, also using Windows 10 1809 build.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2018, 12:31:09 am »
I once used msconfig in an earlier version of Win 10 to boot into Safe Mode with Networking but was unable to access msconfig in that mode to revert to a normal boot.

Instead, I had to run the cmd bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot

current is the Windows Boot Loader identifier for me but it can also be default and to find which is applicable, you first enter the cmd bcdedit but there seems to more going on than this when password problems become involved.

I don't use passwords on my machines.