Author Topic: Serious problem with Windows Repair 4.3.0  (Read 7161 times)

Offline WAWood8

• View Profile
Serious problem with Windows Repair 4.3.0
« on: November 05, 2018, 08:29:28 am »
I've been using Windows Repair PAID version for years, nearly on a monthly basis, and never had a problem until now.

I'm running Win10 Pro 64-bit version 1809 Build 17763.55.

I ran Windows Repair 4.2.0 a few weeks back and had no issues with it -- just like the previous versions.

Then, a few days ago, I got a notice that an upgrade was available (4.3.0) so I downloaded it and ran it.

When I rebooted back into the normal desktop, I noticed two problems:
1) One of my displays was black. In checking the driver in Device Manager, it indicated an issue, so I removed and reinstalled the driver -- no change
2) The Search Box down on the taskbar no longer accepted typed input.  I did some Googling and found a way to fix this.

I suspected it might have been one or more of the repairs, so I restored from image backup and ran WR again.  This time, I selected only the first repair.  Same results, same problems.

So, restored from backup again, ran WR again -- but this time, selected no repairs.  Just booted into safe mode and came back.  Same results, same problems.

So, restored from backup again, booted into safe mode using MSConfig, expecting the same problems.  But this time, there were no issues.  When I came back from safe mode, the display worked fine, as did the Search box.

So, I tried to use WR v4.2.0 -- but when I ran it, it refused to start, telling me that I needed to download and run the updated version. I suspect that 4.2.0 is incompatible with Win10 v1809 -- since it worked without issues with Win10 v1803.

At this point, I'm stuck.  I can't run 4.2.0, nor can I run 4.3.0 without serious issues.

Offline tabqwerty

• View Profile
Re: Serious problem with Windows Repair 4.3.0
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 08:38:29 am »
When did you update to 1809? I don't think it's stable yet, I still use 1803 and didn't have a problem with 4.3.0.

Offline tabqwerty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 08:47:39 am »
If you can, try rolling back to 1803.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 08:55:35 am »
I've passed this on.

Offline WAWood8

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 09:02:48 am »
Update: After posting this, I thought of one more test I could try ...

I booted into Safe mode using MS Congif, launched WR 4.3.0, ran the first four repairs, and restarted into normal mode.

That seemed to work OK!  Display is back, Search box is working OK.

So, it's not WR 4.3.0 per-se that is the issue, it's YOUR CODE for invoking Safe mode that is the issue.

When I run MR after booting into Safe mode using MSConfig, there are no problems.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 09:06:12 am »
This will be noted when jpm picks up your thread.

Offline WAWood8

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 09:07:31 am »
If you can, try rolling back to 1803.

I understand what you're saying -- but that won't address the issue, as WR under 1803 worked without issue -- and 4.2.0 will not run under 1809.

Besides, I'm hold off reverting back to 1803 until MS finally comes out with a new ISO for 1809 -- which is probably going to be delayed again because new problems have just come to light.

BTW, I have not experienced ANY of the published problems with 1809 on any of my PCs.

Offline tabqwerty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 10:38:01 am »
Well, if it's a fresh install of 1803 (you can still keep all your files), I think it'll be fine.

Offline tabqwerty

• View Profile

Offline jpm

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 02:06:52 pm »
Looking into it. 

We've had issues with developers editions locking into safe mode - but frankly calling safe mode is calling is the same.  Our program will undo that command.

I 'm not doubting, I'm just saying it makes little sense. I am wonder if 1809 somehow handles the undo differently - but .. that seems odd.

Have to do some testing.

Offline WAWood8

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 04:20:32 pm »
Did some more testing -- and have some FINAL comments ...

Booted into Safe mode running MSconfig and was able to run ALL the repairs using WR 4.3.0 without issues.

The one glitch is that since I booted into it manually, the restart function at the end, as prompted by WR, does not work at all.  I have to use MSConfig again to disable Safe mode.

So basically, I stand corrected -- WR 4.3.0 works fine under Win 10 v1809 -- it's just the booting into Safe mode that causes problems.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2018, 12:34:28 am »
When you use msconfig to boot into Safe Mode with Networking, you need to use msconfig to undo those settings as they will override any program instructions or even the restart button - it will boot back into whichever mode it has been set at.

Instead of using msconfig or the program to boot into that mode, press and hold SHIFT throughout a Restart.

Click on Troubleshoot - Advanced Options and select Startup Settings where after the restart you need to press F5 for Safe Mode with Networking.

In that mode wireless will be disabled, so you can either Ethernet connect or while on the desktop, press CTRL+ALT+DEL then click on the wireless icon then on your SSID then on Connect.

Left click away from that pane then click on Cancel where you will have wireless.

A Restart will then boot you back into normal mode.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 02:04:00 am by Boggin »

Offline Olimatou

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2018, 10:26:50 am »
Hi,

Currently having the same behaviour on 1809 10.0.17763.55... When using WR and pushing "Reboot to safe mode" button, when rebooting from safe mode, my computer is stuck into a near safe mode state... No services are starting because system reply that it is in safe mode, but there is no watermarks displayed... Using MsConfig doesn't solve the problem, setting from safe mode or not, still stuck !

Using BCDedit doesn't show any safeboot parameters set in the current hive or BCD file...

Is that possible to know what is the script that you are issuing to set Safe Mode reboot when pushing your button ? Is there a way to revert what you've made ? Because I am currently using my computer in a half state and that is a mess !

Regards !
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 10:42:06 am by Olimatou »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2018, 03:06:58 pm »
I'm not sure if the program uses the cmd bcdedit /set {current} safeboot network and a reboot cmd of shutdown /r /t 00 but right click on the Start button and select Command Prompt (Admin)

If you use Powershell or you can't access cmd prompt, then in the search box type cmd and right click on Command Prompt when it comes up and select Run as administrator - accept the UAC and enter these cmds -

bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot

shutdown /r /t 00

then see what it is like after the reboot.

If you get an error message on the bcdedit cmd then enter the bcdedit /set cmd, reboot then enter the bcdedit /deletevalue cmd and reboot.

Offline Olimatou

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2018, 04:26:35 pm »
I'm not sure if the program uses the cmd bcdedit /set {current} safeboot network and a reboot cmd of shutdown /r /t 00 but right click on the Start button and select Command Prompt (Admin)

If you use Powershell or you can't access cmd prompt, then in the search box type cmd and right click on Command Prompt when it comes up and select Run as administrator - accept the UAC and enter these cmds -

bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot

shutdown /r /t 00

then see what it is like after the reboot.

If you get an error message on the bcdedit cmd then enter the bcdedit /set cmd, reboot then enter the bcdedit /deletevalue cmd and reboot.

Hi,

I think you missed a part of my message but thank you anyway to try to help me... Already tested BCD editing and reconstruction, nothing worked... MSConfig don't resolve anything. Windows repairing tools don't find anything trying to repair start... Now, I tried to restart on Safe mode with startup options and this is worse, only get waiting animated circles forever...

Tried to set services on the registry hive to default from a boot rescue disk and loading hive HKLM key from current config, but still stuck... (Deleted msconfig keys and flags in the registry too). I can access the hives for editing, so if you are aware of where Safeboot options are set in the registry, please tell me, I have currently no clue.

Bad adventure with your tool for the moment, first time that it is killing my computer. I used it for years now, and it was resolving all my issues normally...

Regards...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 04:30:25 pm by Olimatou »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2018, 01:43:21 am »
As you will have seen by jpm's post that this is under investigation, but you may be able to revert the condition by using the Registry Restore option in the program's Backup Tools.

Open the repair program and click on Backup Tools then Restore under Registry Backup.

Click on the Restore Registry tab and use the dropdown to select the auto created back up then hit Restore Now which will hopefully restore your system.

While I had a different problem caused by the repair program when I test ran it in 1809, it fully rebooted to normal mode.

I have since restored to 1803 to await MS's rerelease of the 1809 feature update, but I always create a Macrium system image before I test run the repair program.

Offline WAWood8

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2018, 09:56:20 am »
This sounds interesting -- when I have a chance, I will try it and report back

UPDATE: OK -- tried this and got mixed results.

When I rebooted back from safe mode, like before, witn WR 4.3.1, the display was out and the search box was unresponsive.

When I looked at restoring the Registry from backup, there were two listed: (1) the one I had made manually before running RW, and (2) one that WR made.

I restored using the second -- just to see what would happen -- and nothing changed.

So, I restored using the first, and the good news is that the display returned. But the bad news is that the search box problem was still there. And this time, unlike with WR 4.3.0, running the cftmon command did not "fix" it.

So, I restored from my MR image backup.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 11:56:22 am by WAWood8 »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2018, 01:42:33 pm »
My 1809 froze after the reboot after test running 4.3.1

Offline WAWood8

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2018, 09:49:03 am »
My 1809 froze after the reboot after test running 4.3.1
That's certainly not good!

Looks like WR has a problem with Win10 1809 -- and unless MS comes out with a re-release of Win10 1809 this week, I'm going to restore my PC back to Win10 1803 next week.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2018, 01:53:56 pm »
I created a Macrium image before and after the update to 1809 so I was able to take it straight back to 1803 but both 4.3.1 and 4.3.0 were causing a problem on two Win 10 laptops on 1803 and that was after the reboot, I was unable to access Services with an error message that Admin had blocked mmc.exe

However, when running 4.3.1 again on 1803 and it produced that error, I ran the program again which resolved that error.