Author Topic: Using Tweaking.com - Windows Repair in Safe Mode  (Read 11269 times)

Offline DonZ1960

• View Profile
Using Tweaking.com - Windows Repair in Safe Mode
« on: October 23, 2018, 01:49:34 pm »
In Re: Re Windows Repair-AIO Program unregisters itself Safe Mode « Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 02:36:33 PM » it states "In Safe Mode with Networking while on the desktop press CTRL+ALT+DELETE then click on the WiFi icon then on your SSID and Connect. Left click away to close that pane then click on Cancel where you should see a full WiFi icon and wireless connectivity." Has anyone verified the above? I cannot use an ethernet connection on my PC. On my PC, I use Windows 10 Home OS and Tweaking.com - Windows Repair 2018 v4.3.0.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 02:06:26 pm by DonZ1960 »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Using Tweaking.com - Windows Repair in Safe Mode
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 02:40:32 pm »
On one of my Win 10 Home laptops, the Ethernet adapter gets uninstalled after a first restart but is reinstated following a subsequent restart, so I have to connect to wireless as you have in that mode.

I also have the Pro version but haven't had any problems with the program not being able to phone home to check the licence key.

Did you use the program to boot into Safe Mode with Networking or do it manually by pressing and holding SHIFT throughout a restart to get to the advanced boot options ?

I'm not sure if reinstalling the program would resolve this - you don't need to uninstall first before reinstalling.

Offline DonZ1960

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 06:42:50 pm »
I am planning in the near future to try to get my Tweaking.com - Windows Repair working in Safe Mode using Wi-Fi on my Windows 10 PC as it currently does not work in non-Safe Mode using Wi-Fi on my Windows 10 PC as something might be blocking it. I cannot use an Ethernet Connection as it went haywire when I upgraded my Comcast/Xfinity service to 50 MB. Also, it would be a nightmare to debug Tweaking.com - Windows Repair in non-Safe Mode on my Windows 10 PC and anyway it is better to run Tweaking.com - Windows Repair in Safe Mode on my Windows 10 PC. Jim has contacted me and has been helpful and will help me with remote diagnosis if I need help on getting my Tweaking.com - Windows Repair working in Safe Mode using Wi-Fi on my Windows 10 PC.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 01:22:11 am »
Win 10 auto disables wireless in Safe Mode but you can physically reinstate it.

You should be able to reinstate wireless in Safe Mode with Networking by the method you have described as I have to on one of my Win 10 laptops.

Jim told me he had been in phone contact with you and that you had Ethernet problems.

Have you tried checking to see if there's an update for the driver from the adapter manufacturer's site or by reinstalling the driver through Device Manager ?

Right click on the Windows button and select Device Manager then click on View/Show hidden devices and expand Network adapters.

Right click on the Ethernet one and select Update driver - Browse my computer - Let me pick and then see what drivers are available.

As you can see from my pic I have two Microsoft and four Realtek - I use the Realtek but have both Realtek Ethernet and Wireless drivers saved in my Downloads folder should I need to reinstall either.

If you have any Microsoft ones listed, then I'd leave them and if you have more than one of the adapter manufacturer's as I have then try each in turn to see if either works.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 01:25:14 am by Boggin »

Offline DonZ1960

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 09:22:22 pm »
Restarted Router.

No updates for NIC.

I tried Ctrl+Alt+Delete as specified in the Using Tweaking.com - Windows Repair in Safe Mode post and some other techniques, however,
Win 10 64 Bit Home does not work on a PC in Safe Mode with Networking Support with Wi-Fi per Microsoft Support Knowledgebase.

According to other forums, Wi-Fi does appear to work on a laptop that is only wireless with Win 10 in Safe Mode with Networking Support.

I got my NIC to work with some intermittent loss of connection on my Win 10 64 Bit Home version PC in Safe Mode with Networking Support and several times both entered my Name and Key in Tweaking.com - Windows Repair and restarted the program but they still did not take.

I will ask Jim to help me remote diagnose this issue in the near future and will keep both posts updated: No Response from Support [Jim] for Houston we have a problem since 10/12/2018 and Using Tweaking.com - Windows Repair in Safe Mode.

Thanks for all of the replies so far.

The last time Tweaking.com - Windows Repair did work on my Win 10 64 Bit Home PC in Safe Mode with Networking Support [NIC] was at about six [6] months and I suspect it is related to a conflict with Microsoft Win 10 64 Bit Home OS Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.228) which was installed on 05/17/2018 which I am using.

If I do not get Tweaking.com - Windows Repair working on my Win 10 64 Bit Home version PC in Safe Mode with Networking Support [NIC or Wi-Fi], I will consider loading the portable version of Tweaking.com - Windows Repair on a USB stick and using it that way.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 10:02:42 pm by DonZ1960 »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 01:22:09 am »
I wonder if a change of channel in the router may help, but normally you would also get connectivity problems in normal mode.

Right click on the Windows button and select Command Prompt (Admin) or Powershell (Admin) and enter ipconfig /all

In the ensuing output, look to see what it gives for the Default Gateway.

For my router it is 192.168.1.1

This is what you type into the URL search in a browser.

Usually the default router username and password are admin and admin (lowercase specific) but these can differ from router model to router model.

Let me know the make and model of your router and I'll have a Google to check those for you but once you have logged into the router you would need to look for the wireless settings to change the channel, but the steps for that can also be found on Google.

If your router's channel setting is set to Auto then that could be dropping you onto a bad channel when you boot into Safe Mode with Networking which could give intermittent connectivity.

When you are in normal mode, open a Command Prompt (Admin) or Powershell (Admin) and enter this cmd - this will tell you what channel you are using for your SSID and signal strength then boot into Safe Mode with Networking and run that cmd again to compare.

netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid

This is what it shows for mine on channel 6 (which is the first one) in relation to other people.

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17134.376]
(c) 2018 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid

Interface name : Wi-Fi
There are 4 networks currently visible.

SSID 1 : TALKTALK7704EE
    Network type            : Infrastructure
    Authentication          : WPA2-Personal
    Encryption              : CCMP
    BSSID 1                 : 24:09:95:77:04:f4
         Signal             : 91%
         Radio type         : 802.11n
         Channel            : 6
         Basic rates (Mbps) : 1 2 5.5 11
         Other rates (Mbps) : 6 9 12 18 24 36 48 54

SSID 2 : SKYB3B52
    BSSID 1                 : a0:bd:cd:02:25:22
         Signal             : 46%
         Channel            : 1

SSID 3 : SKY7A683
    BSSID 1                 : c0:3e:0f:80:c4:49
         Signal             : 0%
         Channel            : 1

SSID 4 : TALKTALK-0E9334
    BSSID 1                 : e8:cc:18:0e:93:34
         Signal             : 36%
         Channel            : 11

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Let me know your signal strength in each mode.

Offline DonZ1960

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 11:50:26 am »
If I use the NIC, I do get intermittent connectivity problems in normal mode on my Win 10 64 Bit Home PC and that is why I use Wi-Fi now.

Thus, I assume changing the channel will not make a difference and I do not plan to do that but I know how to do it.

Please confirm?

The NIC intermittent connectivity problems started when I upgraded from 25 MB to 50 MB and now it is 100 MB. My Win 10 64 Bit Home PC went out of paid post warranty technical support in October.

HP said it was a Comcast problem and Comcast said it was a HP problem.

I did try the netsh wlan show networks in Safe Mode with Networking support but it came back with that there are no Wi-Fi networks available.

Will adding mode=bssid get it to work?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 02:29:44 pm »
Yes, you need to enter the full cmd to see all users and make a note of the channel number and signal strength.

In that cmd it expresses the strength as a % but inSSIDer3 which is a free program and will show if you are using the best channel, expresses in a -RSSI value.

RSSI = Received Signal Strength Indicator.

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

Click on Networks after the right pane has populated and use the Link Score as a guide as to the best channel to use.

A router set to Auto doesn't help anyone especially if you are streaming a video because if it changes channel then you will get a momentary glitch in the download.

You could also try changing the DNS servers - I don't use my ISP's but use Level3's

Click on the search box net to the Windows button in the taskbar and type ncpa.cpl and press enter when it comes up.

Right click on the Ethernet adapter and select Properties - click on (TCP/IPv4) and select Properties then click on the lower button below Use the following DNS server addresses and in the top row of boxes type 209.244.0.3 then tab down to the lower row and type 209.244.0.4

Check the bot to Validate settings upon close - OK - Close and that will invoke the troubleshooter which should return no problems found and see if your Ethernet works then.

I also uncheck the box for (TCP/IPv6) as when enabled, has been known to cause connectivity issues and as far as I know, (TCP/IPv6) is normally default disabled in routers.

If there's any improvement then do the same for the wireless adapter and they should look like mine.

Offline DonZ1960

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2018, 10:11:27 pm »
I plan to discuss with Jim of Tech Support to use the portable version of Tweaking.com - Windows Repair on a USB Stick in Safe Mode which seems to be the path of least resistance instead of these other ways.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2018, 02:18:38 am »
If you can't get a wireless connection in Safe Mode with Networking then that won't be the repair program specific.

Open a Command Prompt (Admin) or Powershell (Admin) and enter these cmds which will reset your network adapters and effect an immediate reboot.

netcfg -d

shutdown /r /t 00

After the reboot, open Device Manager - click on View/Show hidden adapters and expand Network adapters to check if your wireless and Ethernet adapters are still present - if not then repeat those cmds and then boot into Safe Mode with Networking to see if you can reinstate wireless connectivity by the method you have already tried.

Offline DonZ1960

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2018, 04:20:05 am »
What about using the portable version of Tweaking.com - Windows Repair on a USB Stick in non-Safe Mode with Wi-Fi?

Will Tweaking.com - Windows Repair on a USB Stick still be blocked by something as the Tweaking.com - Windows Repair on the Hard Drive is now?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2018, 04:25:09 am »
The reason for running the program in Safe Mode with Networking is to isolate your antivirus program as it can interfere with the repairs.

Have you tried that cmd yet to see if it resolves your problem of not being able to get a wireless connection in that mode ?

What is the reason you need to run the repair program ?

Offline DonZ1960

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2018, 03:14:16 pm »
I have not tried any of your solutions yet but post it if and when I do.

I plan to talk to Jim about this whole thing for more insights.

I run Tweaking.com - Windows Repair for monthly preventative maintenance on my Win 10 Home Edition 64 Bit PC.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2018, 04:17:50 pm »
Well tell Jim what I've suggested or point him to this thread.

I assume you've been running the repair program in normal mode as you can't get a wireless connection in Safe Mode with Networking and an Ethernet connection isn't practical ?

Offline DonZ1960

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2018, 04:51:35 pm »
I run Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Free version in Normal Mode using Wi-Fi since I cannot get a good NIC connection in Normal Mode and Safe Mode due to intermittent connection problems and Wi-Fi does not work for me in Safe Mode.

I cannot use the Pro features in Tweaking.com - Windows Repair even though I paid for them since something is blocking the name and security key in Normal Mode even though the Wi-Fi is working OK.

In the future, I should be able to run Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Free version in Safe Mode without the Pro features since Safe Mode is recommended which will have to be good enough for me so I will not get the Pro version again and see if I can get a pro-rated refund from Jim if I cannot get the Pro version working in Safe Mode.

At least another user in my other related post had a problem with Tweaking.com - Windows Repair working in Build 1803 and I still think the problem is with Build 1803 that I previously discussed in this post and the October and November Updates to it are not working and MS is supposed to fix it at the end of November but I think I will have to wait for Build 1804 to prove my theory so I will wait on the pro-rated refund until that time as I like the Pro features in Tweaking.com - Windows Repair.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2018, 12:53:51 am »
I use the Pro version and I don't have any problems with a wireless connection in Safe Mode with Networking on 1803 so I think your problem is specific to you.

1803 had been superseded with 1809 but because it caused major problems for some, that update was pulled by Microsoft and those who did not get the 1809 update, are waiting for MS to re-release it.

As you are having intermittent problems with your Ethernet as well then I suggest you switch your computer and router off and disconnect all cables from the router for 30mins.

When the router has been left off for that length of time, when you switch it back on it will give you a new external IP address which has been known to resolve connectivity problems.

At least try this to see if there is any improvement.

Offline DonZ1960

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2018, 05:45:26 pm »
Does your device have a NIC card?

It is my understanding that the next Build after 1803 has not been released as both the October Build 1803 and November Build 1803 Updates are not working on some devices including my PC, according to a MS Knowledgebase Article.

It is my understanding that the November Build 1803 update was supposed to work and also fix the October Build 1803 update but it did not work also on some devices including my PC, according to a MS Knowledgebase Article.

It is my understanding that MS said that Build 1803 should be fixed by the end of November, according to a MS Knowledgebase Article but I am not holding my breath.

As I posted previously, there is a MS Knowledgebase Article that states Wi-Fi is not available in Safe Mode for Windows 10.

As I posted previously, I already turned off my router, no cables were connected and it was for at least 30 minutes.

I need you to verify that I should be able to run Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Free version in Safe Mode without the Pro features on my Win 10 64 Bit Home Edition PC without both a NIC connection and Wi-Fi?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2018, 01:16:37 am »
Reading through this thread, you only said that you restarted your router and not that you had switched it off as I'd suggested.

I only use laptops and they all have Ethernet and wireless capability.

I don't know why the program isn't accepting your email address and product key - I assume you have tried reinstalling the program ?

Regardless of whether you use the installed or portable versions of the program, it needs to go online for the Apps repairs.

Can you post a link to that MS article about 1803 and problems with wireless in Safe Mode with Networking.

Offline DonZ1960

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2018, 02:30:06 pm »
The only way I know how to restart my router is to unplug the AC cord as there is no on/off switch.

I re-installed Tweaking.com - Windows Repair a few times.

I decided to only run Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Free Version in Safe Mode without Networking (Both Ethernet and Wi-Fi] as that is good enough for me.

Please confirm that for me?

I will keep trying the Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Pro Version periodically to see if it eventually works on its own until it expires.

I did not save the links and thus I do not have the links to any of articles about that Win 10 does not support Wi-Fi in Safe Mode with Networking.

Thanks for all your help!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2018, 02:42:04 pm »
If the problem is down to 1803 then I guess you'll have to wait until MS brings out a fix.

I don't know if 1809 resolves this problem but you could create a system image and see if the MCT will update you to 1809.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

The reason why MS pulled this update from general release was because it was deleting personal files for some, so it would be prudent to create a system image first before trying the update.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2018, 01:40:13 am »
I've been having a Google on this problem which appears as you've said to be widespread and may even have originated with the 1709 update.

Anyway, I'm not sure if Jim or you have tried this solution, but give it a try if not.

In normal mode click on your wireless icon and make a note of your SSID then boot into Safe Mode with Networking and open either a Command Prompt (Admin) or Powershell (Admin) then enter this command -

netsh wlan connect name="SSID"

Replace SSID with the name of your SSID and include the quotes as in the cmd.

However, before you do that, in Safe Mode with Networking right click on the Windows button and select Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices and expand Network adapters to see if there's a yellow alert on the wireless adapter.

If you still don't get a wireless connection, go Start - type services.msc and press enter when Services comes up then check that the following services are showing as Started/Running and either Automatic or Manual.

COM+ Event System
Computer Browser
DHCP Client
DNS Client
Network Location Awareness
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Server
TCP/IP Netbios helper
Wired Autoconfig is set to manual - this one shouldn't be showing as Started
Workstation

If their status is as it should be but not showing as Started/Running, click on any that aren't then click on Start in the top left pane and let us know if you get any error messages as to why they won't start.

BTW - did you redo that netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid cmd to see if it showed any networks ?

As for your Ethernet connection, go into Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices - expand network adapters - right click on your Ethernet one and click on Properties then under the Advanced tab scroll down to and click on Speed & Duplex

This may show as Auto Negotiation.

On my laptops I just have a selection of 10 and 100Mbps but if your machine has Gigabit ability then you will see 1000Mbps.

Anyway, if yours shows as Auto then use the dropdown to select 100Mbps or 1000Mbps Full Duplex (as the case may be) and click on OK to see if that gets you a stable Ethernet connection - you can also try the Half Duplex as an experiment.

Offline DonZ1960

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2018, 11:21:44 pm »
In a previous reply in this post, I stated "I did try the netsh wlan show networks in Safe Mode with Networking support but it came back with that there are no Wi-Fi networks available. Will adding mode=bssid get it to work?"

If I have time before my Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Pro Version expires unless a new MS Build fixes my problem, I will try all of your solutions and let you know the outcome via this Post.

Will Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Free Version in Safe Mode without Networking (Both Ethernet and Wi-Fi] work?

Again, I appreciate all of your help!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2018, 12:24:35 am »
In a previous reply I had said you would need to add mode=bssid to see the connections and was wondering if you had done that.

Why did you run the cmd without mode=bssid as I'd posted ?

Also as I've said, the repair program needs to able to go online to effect the Apps repairs.

The program should still work but I'm not sure what it will do when it comes to the Apps repairs and finds there isn't an internet connection.

When I test run the program, I uncheck those for the Apps repairs and the Component one.

How do you mean when your Pro version expires - it is a lifetime licence.

Offline DonZ1960

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2018, 03:54:53 pm »
I ran the cmd without mode=bssid as that what it said to do in an article before you suggested this other way.

I will run the Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Free Version in Normal Mode with Wi-Fi as I know that works if Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Free Version in Safe Mode without Networking (Both Ethernet and Wi-Fi] does not work.

Jim just emailed me as I had a question about my Pro subscription and he said it is not a subscription but it is based upon the Pro version. For example, if I paid for Pro 4.x I will need to pay again at Pro 5.x.

As always, I appreciate all of your help!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2018, 01:06:57 am »
I was under the impression that you already had the Pro version.

Have you made any progress with my suggestions for resolving wireless in safe mode and for your Ethernet connection ?

When you ran the netsh wlan show networks cmd, you said it reported there weren't any.

Was that in normal or safe mode as in normal mode it should have at least shown yours.

Below is the difference in info when you add mode=bssid to the cmd -

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17134.407]
(c) 2018 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>netsh wlan show networks

There are 3 networks currently visible.

SSID 1 : SKYB3B52

SSID 2 : TALKTALK7704EE

SSID 3 : DIRECT-BE-HP ENVY 4520 series

C:\WINDOWS\system32>netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid

There are 3 networks currently visible.

SSID 1 : SKYB3B52
    BSSID 1                 : a0:bd:cd:02:25:22
         Signal             : 46%

SSID 2 : TALKTALK7704EE
    BSSID 1                 : 24:09:95:77:04:f4
         Signal             : 92%

SSID 3 : DIRECT-BE-HP ENVY 4520 series
    BSSID 1                 : 98:e7:f4:26:5b:bf
         Signal             : 44%
         Channel            : 11
         Basic rates (Mbps) : 6 12 24
         Other rates (Mbps) : 9 18 36 48 54

The number of other connections can vary depending upon who else is locally online - mine is the TalkTalk one.