Author Topic: Tweaking.com scan totally messed up my laptoop  (Read 4240 times)

Offline bob_d

• View Profile
Tweaking.com scan totally messed up my laptoop
« on: October 25, 2018, 10:51:09 am »
I have an ASUS i7 64 bit laptop running Windows 10 - 1809.  I read about Tweaking.com earlier this week and decided to try it so I bought a 3 license package for my wife and me.  I have installed and run it on my Windows 7 desktop without a problem but my Windows 10 laptop is another story.  After finishing here's what happened:
My Windows activation is gone and Microsoft wants me to buy a license
My Windows 10 key doesn't work (it came with my laptop from Newegg)
My PIN entry is gone so I have to use my password to login
My PC Matic Supershield doesn't work - totally off and can't be restarted
My Restore points are gone - I did a restore before running Tweaking.com
I just wasted $52 and now I have to spend hours reloading a months old image back-up and re-installing my software
What the h___ happened??? :teeth:
Sorry for the attitude but I am really upset

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Tweaking.com scan totally messed up my laptoop
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 02:25:18 pm »
Can you boot up into Safe Mode with Networking and open the program and use the Registry Restore in Backup Tools to see if you get any of that back.

I'll pass this on.

Offline bob_d

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 03:03:04 pm »
I tried that as my first option without success.  I couldn't even get the control panel or settings to work.  I finally did a factory reset which brought back my Windows license, PIN login, etc.  Now I'm re-installing my programs and will make sure I do an image backup before trying this again.  Of course, Microsoft restored all their bloatware which I had to remove.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 03:30:51 pm »
I always create a Macrium system image before test running the program as it causes problems on my Win 10 laptops in 1803.

I reverted back from 1809 and will wait until MS get it sorted and re-release it.

I've emailed Shane about the problems you experienced with a link to your thread, but I'm not sure when I'll get a reply as he's quite busy and would have to see if he can replicate your problems, although he does test the program before releasing it.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 10:23:47 am »
I've had a reply back from Shane and while he has been unable to replicate what you experienced, he said that the program doesn't interfere with activation, so he doesn't know what caused that.

I'd hold off on running the repair program again as Shane is considering pulling the 1809 repairs from the program as the 1809 update has been pulled by MS.

4.3.0 will remain as the one that covers 1809 but if Shane does pull 1809 from the program, then that will result in another version being released.

As you have factory reset the machine, the latest version that will take you to will be 1803 when you have installed any updates.

Offline bob_d

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 12:53:55 pm »
I did a reset with saving the data files and it brought me back to 1809.  I expected to have to do all the updates but it didn't.  This is the first time I haven't done a nuclear reset and as I install my apps they pick up right where I left off so there must be some registry info and appdata preserved.  If Tweaking works for 1803 then it should be safe for me to use it on my wife's new HP which keeps losing its sound??

My activation was restored with the reset. 

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 12:59:09 pm »
Win 10 has its own troubleshooter you should try first via the Settings cog/Update & Security/Troubleshoot but reinstalling the audio drivers wouldn't hurt.

Offline bob_d

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 01:11:17 pm »
I've uninstalled the audio drivers multiple times.  The sound works for a couple of hours and disappears.  I ran the HP Support Assistant this morning - same deal.  This PC has an Nvidia graphics card with its own sound drivers but since I'm not using the HDMI output I am using the stock HP Conexant sound drivers.  I'm wondering if there's a conflict between the two.  I have the audio going through a switch box so she can switch between a Bluetooth headset and the monitor speakers so I just used the DP port for video.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 01:29:18 pm »
How old is the machine and has it always done this ?

Offline bob_d

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2018, 02:28:38 pm »
It's brand new - HP Pavilion 790
Intel i7 CPU
16G RAM
256G SSD + 3TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 1060 3G
It's a nice PC except for the sound issue

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2018, 03:22:43 pm »
As it's brand new then it will still be under warranty and shouldn't be doing that.

The next time the sound goes down, right click on the Windows button and select Device Manager then click on View/Show hidden devices and look for any yellow alerts.

If no alerts, run the sound troubleshooter to see what it reports but I'd be of a mind to take it back under warranty, but back up any personal stuff first as they tend to factory reset machines rather than digging down to see what the problem is.