Author Topic: V4.3.0.0 fails even before "Permissions" repairs on stable Windows 7  (Read 4971 times)

Offline HappyElderGeek

• View Profile
 :omg:First problem EVER with Windows Repair:  Failed on Windows 7 SP1 twice in a row, (using V4.3.0.0), Log is attached.

Rolled back to backup of night before, but lost any evidence of problem with WR, which now will not even perform first two "Permissions"; it fails before that is even attempted.

I'm perplexed.  I don't have my replaced V4.2.0.0, which worked fine.  (Send me a copy of that, and I'll try it under the same circumstances, to assess whether it's my computer/configuration. on something in V4.3.0.0.)

--Carol Anne

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: V4.3.0.0 fails even before "Permissions" repairs on stable Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 06:58:38 am »
You could try v4.2.0 but can you first perform a chkdsk /f and if that comes back clean, perform a sfc /scannow

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/5314-tweaking-windows-repair.html

To view a chkdsk log, go Start - type eventwr and press enter when it comes up.

When Event Viewer has read the data, expand Windows logs - click on Application - Action/Find and type chkdsk or wininit into the Find box and press enter.

Cancel the Find box and read the log in the scrollable window below.

You are looking to see if it reports any KBs in bad sectors.

If it does then perform a chkdsk /r and create a system image in preparation for total failure of the HDD.

If the chkdsk and sfc come back clean, you could either reinstall 4.3.0 to see if it resolves - there's no need to uninstall first - or install 4.2.0 from the link posted.

Offline HappyElderGeek

• View Profile
Re: V4.3.0 fails even before "Permissions" repairs on stable Windows 7
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 03:12:47 pm »
I had lots of problems trying to use WR V4.3.xxx, but was able to use V4.2.0 to recover a system that had to be rolled back from a backup made about 9 days ago.  That all worked.  Some key points:

#1  Wherever I can, I use C: (for Code; executables, Windows, apps, etc.) and D: (for Data), which allows me to roll a version of the Windows 7 O.S. without losing any data (e.g., Quicken accounting database).

#2  I make 100% backups (C: and D:, in toto) of the every system to a central computer once every day (one computer does it at 7:00 am, all the rest are staggered from 6:30 pm to 1:30 am, to avoid slowing regular LAN speeds.  I have three Terabyte disks, and I "rotate" them every Sunday morning.  Each computer has C: and D: backups made every day, each week.   That allows me to "roll back" a poorly running Windows and Apps (C:) without losing important data for local computer apps.

#3  Customarily, after rolling back an O.S. (e.g., for poor performance, intrusive errors, etc.) to an earlier edition (usually a couple of days; sometimes as much as 15 days) I run the latest stable (according to my own standards) version of Windows Repair.  Recently, I tried that with WR 4.3.0, and it was a catastrophe...so, I went even further back, to WR 4.2.0, which worked like a charm.

#4  I would encourage the owners of this domain to have a specific forum for user feedback about how Tweaking.com's editions of specific products are actually working, so that the founder can know how his products are working in real environments.  Some of us have enough experience that we can make better-informed decisions from that information.  For me, the ability to decide whether to apply the absolute LATEST edition of WR, or to use an older edition, is a critical decision point, when I (or a client) are having problems.  When I can see other customers' feedback about their experience, it helps me make that "use the newest-or-prior edition" decision.  That means more exposure for you, I know, but flying blind with a powerful product like WR is scary, even to some of us who've been using these kinds of tools for a long time (I've been in the trenches since 1962...on an IBM 1401, IBM 709, and even a vacuum-tube RCA 301!).   My own estimate is that it would materially improve confidence when something like 50 early-bird users can inform the rest of us about how stable and reliable a powerful and complex product from Tweaking.com has performed over the past month or so.  I cede to you the responsibility of how to sort through the responses for those that are productively informative (vs. the novices, and those who don't cotton to things like "Safe Mode").

I have a habit of only returning food in a restaurant to which I intend to return...I trust you'll accept my feedback in the spirit that's attended.  If the situation was so bad that I'd rather never return, I don't even bother.  :-)

Ye Old Bit-Slinger.
--Carol Anne (aka "Happy Elder Geek")

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 03:23:28 pm »
Sometimes a problem with WR can be machine specific just as Windows Updates can affect some machines but not others.

I always create a Macrium system image before test running WR.

I can't remember the last time I ran it on my Win 7 laptop but will do tomorrow to see how 4.3.1 performs on it and I'll get back to you on that.

The section you have posted in is for problems with WR and I report all problems that relate to the program and some I am unable to resolve.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 02:54:25 am »
I've just run 4.3.1 on my Win 7 and it sailed through the repairs.