Author Topic: copy file from one folder to another folder - prompt command - access denied  (Read 10175 times)

Offline Clade

• View Profile
Sorry for my english, my language is portuguese Brazil

In an attempt to copy the fvevol.sys file

https://i.imgur.com/3jI72fH.png

C:\>copy C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-s..tartup-filterdriver_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.17134.441_none_102acad936040081\fvevol.sys C:\Windows\System32\drivers
Substituir C:\Windows\System32\drivers\fvevol.sys? (Sim/Não/Todos): s
Acesso negado.
0 arquivo(s) copiado(s).

After requesting the replacement and confirmation, the message = access is denied and 0 file copied. Remembering that the command prompt is in administrator mode.

Possibly this is a matter of file ownership.

If someone knows how to solve it. . .

Thanks for your attention.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Yes, you probably need to take ownership of it.

You can add Take Ownership to the right click context menu by clicking on the blue link for Take Ownership Menu Hacks at the bottom of this article - https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/

Offline Clade

• View Profile
The indicated material shows the question about equipment that is functional. I refer to those cases where the equipment is functional.

In case here, taking advantage of the example and as I am not an expert at command prompt, I would if possible, someone would demonstrate how this command would be to cause the file to be transferred from one folder to another folder, considering the equipment crash

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I'm not sure what you mean but where you want to copy a file from one machine to copy onto another, if necessary, take ownership of it and use drag and drop to copy it onto something like an USB flash drive and then drag and drop it into the relevant folder on the target machine.

Are you getting a BSOD on the target machine because of corruption on this file/driver ?

What error messages are you getting that point to this file ?

Generally you would reinstall the affected program as any corruption may not just relate to that one file.

You can also see if any restore points would take you back to before this error occurred.

Offline Clade

• View Profile
Yes, there is the possibility of transferring files from one device to another. In this case, it is the transfer of a file from one folder to another folder on the same machine.
The equipment is not broken.
Transferring the file as proposed here, it becomes easier to resolve a crash issue, when it is known which file is corrupted or missing, since in the operating system, a copy of the file is corrupted.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Why do you need to transfer this file from where it belongs to another folder ?

Offline Clade

• View Profile
Knowledge as it proceeds, only that.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
When you get corruption in a system then you can run two tools that Windows has and they are a chkdsk /f which will tell you if it has repaired anything and also tell you if there are any KBs in bad sectors.

The second is a system file check through the command sfc /scannow

You wouldn't normally transfer a file from one part of the system to another - that would need to come from a working machine with the same OS, but a sfc /scannow can replace damaged files from within the store without the need to do that.

If you aren't sure of a procedure then either learn how to do it properly or not do it at all because you run the risk of bricking your system.

Offline Clade

• View Profile
Boggin!

Thank you for your guidance.

Clade

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
You're welcome.