Author Topic: won't boot in safe mode  (Read 5532 times)

Offline kdent

• View Profile
won't boot in safe mode
« on: December 23, 2018, 02:24:29 pm »
Sorry man hate to be a pain in the a.. try your program would not go into safe mode so I did it windows way once in thier I ran your SFC  scan it found nothing .Did not know what else to do here we are,any help or direction ???? Again sorry running windows 10 Pro 1908  look in to update history it has successfully installed windows defender antivirus KB22676602 37 times !!!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 03:30:43 pm by kdent »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: won't boot in safe mode
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 03:31:59 pm »
As you can boot into Safe Mode through Windows, have you tried your restore points back to when the program would boot into Safe Mode ?

Offline EIanetti

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 04:32:15 am »
I am unable to get into safe mode as well in a Dell Ispiron laptop.  Tweakiing restarts the computer, but the restart stops at the lock screen and does not offer an opportunity to enter login credentials.  So all I can do is go back to restart.  My disk usage keeps shooting to 100% and hanging there even after a complete reinstall of windows.  I want to run Tweaking to see if that might help.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 04:38:39 am »
I am unable to get into safe mode as well in a Dell Ispiron laptop.  Tweakiing restarts the computer, but the restart stops at the lock screen and does not offer an opportunity to enter login credentials.  So all I can do is go back to restart.  My disk usage keeps shooting to 100% and hanging there even after a complete reinstall of windows.  I want to run Tweaking to see if that might help.

As you have completely reinstalled Windows, then the repair program will be unable to improve on that.

Can you right click on the taskbar and select Task Manager and under the Processes tab see what is maxing out your CPU.

Clicking on CPU will sort to the highest user first.

Are you able to boot into Safe Mode with Networking normally through Windows ?

Offline EIanetti

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 04:20:33 am »
I get that you can't improve on a reset.  When I sort, the only thing really using a significant disk amount is system.  I can't boot in safe mode under any scenario.  I've all the instructions online for Dell and also tried MSConfig.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 07:52:12 am »
Then it isn't the repair program that is at fault, although I've emailed Shane about both reports.

Just to check if Windows won't boot into Safe Mode with Networking, press and hold SHIFT throughout a Restart.

That should get you to the advanced boot options to click on Troubleshoot - Advanced options - Startup settings - Restart then press F5 after the reboot.

Let me know if that works for you or not and what you get otherwise.

Win 10 disables wireless in that mode and while you can manually connect to the wifi, it's just as easy to Ethernet connect.

To access the advanced boot options you need a recovery partition of 450MB or 490MB as I have to the right of C:

This is on a machine that was upgraded from Win 7 but if your machine came with Win 10 then it may be to the left of C:

Click on the pic to enlarge and let me know what you have.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 07:57:32 am by Boggin »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 01:27:41 am »
kdent has reported in his other thread that he can now boot into Safe Mode through the repair program.