Author Topic: Trying to get into safe mode w/WR and MS Win 10-SOLVED  (Read 6074 times)

Offline ComputerJunkie

• View Profile
Trying to get into safe mode w/WR and MS Win 10-SOLVED
« on: December 31, 2018, 12:39:47 am »
Hi,

Windows 1809 really messed up my computer badly! I was one of the people who only got the update about a week or so ago. There were so many things messed up, I finally gave up, saved all my personal data to an external HDD and did a PC refresh or whatever it's called. It seems to have finally installed without a hitch (I think) and a lot of remnants of uninstalled programs finally seem to be gone. Other simple issues seem to be okay now.

Since the refresh (yesterday), I made sure Windows is fully updated (it installed some Win Defender updates), have only installed Adobe Flash, Firefox and the Tweaking.com WR Pro and Tecnicians Toolbox Pro.

Tonight, I went to use WR and when my computer restarts to go into Safe Mode, it sticks at the "sign-in page" and has an X in the internet connection icon (bottom right), only wants me to start wi-fi and re-enter my Network Security Key and will not leave this page. I have no sign-in option or anything. My only choice at this point is to click the restart/shutdown icon (bottom right) and come back to normal Windows desktop.

I am guessing it has something to do with the bcdedit that Shane is talking about, or again, maybe something else. All I know is Shane suggests to only run WR in Safe Mode so I decided to come here and try to get some help before I do much of anything else.  :confused:

Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 04:43:50 pm by ComputerJunkie »
Dell Precision M4600
Intel Core i5-2520M 2.5GHz CPU
16GB RAM
1920x1080 Display
Intel HD Graphics 3000 / NVIDIA Quadro 1000M
Intel Centrino WiMAX 6250
Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6250 AGN
Integrated Web Cam
Windows 7 Professional

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to get into safe mode w/WR and MS Win 10...
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 01:50:05 am »
Have you reported this before - it seems to ring a bell ?

I would try reinstalling the repair program but you also have 10 days in which to roll back to the previous Win 10 version in the advanced boot options.

Does Ethernet connecting negate the prompt to connect to WiFi ?

Offline ComputerJunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 02:40:23 am »
Hi Boggin,

Nope. This problem is brand new. Came with 1809 update that was only a week or so ago. After only fixing a couple issues on my own and realizing how many problems were actually created, it was time for me to give up and renew Windows.

At this point, I only have Firefox, Adobe Flash and the 2 tweaking programs installed. I haven't even added my personal files yet. I even sign into a website to check my E-mail at the moment.

I just installed WR & the Tech Repair several hours ago from the site. Version 4.4.0. I put in my pro keys and then was going to use WR before I install all my programs.

When restarting, it stops at the login page but no login box. On the bottom right there's the network icon and it has a red X, hmm I forget what the 2nd icon is, and then the power button to restart/shutdown.

When I click on the network icon with the red X, it shows wi-fi. I go ahead and try to proceed anyway, and it forces me to put in the Network security key for my modem. And it still just sits on the login page.

My only option at that point is to restart/shutdown. I went ahead and restarted and came back to the normal desktop.

I tried about 4 times before I came to the forums. Even after posting here, I tried another time. It will not do anything else.

But yeah, if you really think it will help, I can go ahead and uninstall/reinstall WR and TRT.

Dell Precision M4600
16GB RAM
1920x1080 Display
Integrated Web Cam
Windows 7 Professional

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 02:53:07 am »
Well you have to start somewhere to find the cause and hopefully that will be all it is.

Leave the Toolbox off for now.

I assume an Ethernet connection didn't help ?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 03:10:00 am »
I would leave running the repair program for the moment because it has been causing problems and as you have recently reinstalled Windows, then I doubt the repair program could improve on that, but we still need to find why the program is sticking.

I always create a Macrium system image before I test run any new versions and which I always advise before running the program.

Offline ComputerJunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 09:52:47 am »
Oh! I completely forgot to mention the Ethernet connection. I was on the internet (via Ethernet) up until I did the restart in Safe Mode.  It didn't recognize it and only offered me to connect to wi-fi even though I have it off. But even with entering the key I still could not get past the log-in screen.

Something I just noticed, while checking my E-mail is that the clock reset itself to PST, which I have always been CST (-6:00). See? Things change by itself with these last 2 major updates from MS. A LOT of things.

Well, I could forego the WR for now, but I have to admit it sure helps speed this computer up with the tweaks and few of the repairs.

I have never used Macrium before. At this point, might not be worth it, though. As long as there is potential corruption with version 1809, I am not even ready to put everything back on the computer yet.

I will go ahead and uinstall the 2 tweaking programs and try to reinstall WR and see if I can get into Safe Mode yet. Will update with the results.

UPDATE:

Okay, I was able to get into Safe Mode but there is definitely a problem.

#1 I had shut off my password and PIN options for Windows 10 after I refreshed Windows

#2 When I went to Safe Mode it said my PW was incorrect. I had to input my PW and then it let me into Safe Mode.

#3 I restarted the computer to exit Safe Mod and got 2 sign-in options:

1st says to enter PW but gives the User Name (not changeable)
     2nd says incorrect PW and gives me the option to change User Name and PW

I went into the first one, but unsure which one is real and which one is fake, since neither one should need signing in. LOL
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 10:28:38 am by ComputerJunkie »
Dell Precision M4600
16GB RAM
1920x1080 Display
Integrated Web Cam
Windows 7 Professional

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 11:21:36 am »
Can you see if you can boot into Safe Mode with Networking normally to determine if it is the program or the machine.

You can either use the Settings cog - Update & Security - Recovery or press and hold SHIFT throughout a restart to get you to the advanced boot options.

I have a Win 10 laptop that puts a Code 45 on my Ethernet whenever I do a restart such as booting into the advanced boot options and selecting Safe Mode with Networking.

I then have to press CTRL ALT DEL on the desktop and connect to my wireless as you have done.

A restart will reinstate the Ethernet.

When you boot into Safe Mode with Networking, right click on the Windows button and select Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices and expand Network adapters - right click on the Ethernet one and select Properties where under the General tab will give its status.

As the 1809 update has caused you problems, then perhaps you should see if you can still roll back to the previous version.

I've done that on both my Win 10 laptops so they are on 1803.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 11:24:50 am by Boggin »

Offline ComputerJunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 12:49:49 pm »
Okay, I am back.

I would have tried F8, if you had not told me this info. Thank you! More new things to learn, I see.

Ethernet worked perfectly in the Safe Mode from just Windows.

I am unsure if all these should be having notes but I thought I would show you:

All Audio, Not available

Other Drivers: Base System Device, Base System Device and Unknown Device Code 28
                      No compatible drivers are available - thinking this is my card reader

Software Devices: MS GS Wavetable Synth, Not available

System Devices: MS Hyper-V Virtualization Infrastructure, Driver can't load

Networking:
Intel 82577LM Gigabit Network Connection- Device working properly
Intel Centurion Ultimate-N6300 AGN - Device working properly

So, I guess it is something with WR not communicating to Win 1809?

I have to say it took a LOT of work to get 1803 to work properly on my system, but 1809 has caused way more problems than the 1803. And to have this thing running good and go through this again is a real pain!

I will wait to hear from you and then maybe go ahead and roll back.
Dell Precision M4600
16GB RAM
1920x1080 Display
Integrated Web Cam
Windows 7 Professional

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 02:51:25 pm »
Quite a few services don't work in that mode including Audio as only essential services are loaded - those are nothing to worry about unless you get the same in normal mode.

I don't know if it is 1809 and WR for you, but I test run WR 4.4.0 when I had 1809 and there were no adverse effects as you have had.

As the computer appears to now be working okay, then I'd leave the repair program for now.

Shane is hoping to be well enough in the new year to get back to working on the program, so you could wait until he releases a newer version to see if you get the same problems or revert to 1803.

Reverting from 1809 to 1803 didn't take long.

A couple of tips to see if they will improve the performance is to right click in the taskbar and select Task Manager then under Start-up disable all items - I  only have the one for Realtek HD Audio Manager enabled in mine - and a defragment of the HDD can also help if using a HDD and not a SSD.

A build up of Temp files can also impact performance.

To check these, go Start - type %temp% and press enter when it comes up.

If this is highly populated then press CTRL a to highlight then CTRL d to delete - confirm - check the box then click on Skip then empty the Recycle Bin.

Offline ComputerJunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2019, 07:32:04 am »
Hi Boggin,

I will go ahead and wait for Shane, then. I really appreciate the work he has done in making such a great product. I only wish I knew how to do that! lol :-)

Only thing is I was reading that reverting from 1809 to 1803, they only give you 10 days?

Yeah, this computer has an HDD

I do regular cleanup on my computer(s), which include:
History in the browsers, when closed
%temp%
temp
Flash
Java - keep the storage set on minimum and cleaned out (don't normally have it on, but need it for Zoom)
disk cleanup (both options)
Disk Defrag

I just went into Task Manager to check the Startup Items and the only things listed:
Logitech Download assistant, which I am sure I can turn off? I think this is just for the wireless mouse?
Synaptics TouchPad for the laptop touchpad
Windows Security Notifications icon, which is for my Windows Defender

Something that I have ALWAYS noticed, with every version, is Firefox really eats up the memory, or is it a memory leak?

Right now, I have 4 tabs open but in Details, it shows 6 instances and all together it adds up to 700K Kb
Often when I close Firefox, it will still be running for a few on any computer I have had. That's why I like the memory cleaner on the WR tray icon.

Anyway, I think I will open a new thread for a couple things, if I can't figure them out.

Dell Precision M4600
16GB RAM
1920x1080 Display
Integrated Web Cam
Windows 7 Professional

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2019, 08:47:32 am »
If you are within those 10 days then I would revert - you can always upgrade again by using the MCT - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

I've always used IE because it is lighter on resources, although I have Firefox installed as a spare browser.

Offline ComputerJunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2019, 01:54:21 pm »
Okay, I am going to try resetting this one more time. If it works out better, I will keep it, and if not I will revert to 1803 tonight.

Ah! As for browsers, I am stuck with ALL 4.
I use the MEdge because of the rewards (and it's on the computer anyway)
I use Firefox for several things I do
I use IE for Pogo (they have not upgraded anything to work on the newer browsers)
I use Google Chrome because there are 2 companies who only make the extensions for Google use.

Will update after my last ditch effort. lol
Dell Precision M4600
16GB RAM
1920x1080 Display
Integrated Web Cam
Windows 7 Professional

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2019, 01:57:36 pm »
Okay :)

Offline ComputerJunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2019, 04:42:56 pm »
Hey Boggin,

I think I can end this thread now. I see that even though I chose the option to delete all data, apps and settings, it didn't really delete everything. Some of the things I tweak on my own were set to what I would set them! lol

Time zone went back to PST but I caught that right away this time.

Everything seems to be working between the OS and my computer now. (After 3rd attempt!)

So, I will just wait until Shane gets this new OS update figured out before I work with the software.

I still may open another thread on a couple things - I see I still haven't figured them out yet. UGH lol

Thanks for listening and the advice, Boggin, I think I am now in the clear!  :cheesy:

Dell Precision M4600
16GB RAM
1920x1080 Display
Integrated Web Cam
Windows 7 Professional

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to get into safe mode w/WR and MS Win 10-SOLVED
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2019, 01:00:53 am »
That's good news.

I've been thinking about updating one of my laptops to 1809 again as then I will have something to compare with when adverse reports come in.

Offline ComputerJunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2019, 02:51:51 am »
Sounds good.

But here's a funny thing...A friend's husband has an older desktop and there were a couple things I talked my friend through and she allowed the update to do it's thing. Her husband came home and checked out his computer and everything was going great and he even said his computer was running a little bit faster. Not a single call to ask for help with any hangups.

So, who knows, it's like playing Russian roulette; you may update without a hitch! Then again, you can be like one of the countless others of us, who I have found scouring the internet. LOL

Would be nice (in a way) if you did have some issues so you could arm yourself with more tools in your arsenal.

Break a leg! hahaha :tongue:
Dell Precision M4600
16GB RAM
1920x1080 Display
Integrated Web Cam
Windows 7 Professional

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2019, 05:36:40 am »
Even though I would have 10 days to revert, I'll be creating a Macrium image first as a fall back when I get around to it.

1809 initially had problems for some with it wiping out personal files that MS withdrew the update.

I did get 1809 through Windows Update so I assumed MS had resolved what the problem had been, but because I didn't get 1809 offered for this machine, I reverted the other one.

I thought MS would have also pulled 1809 which the MCT gives you but that is still listed as the October update.

Offline ComputerJunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2019, 12:26:51 pm »
Yes, you would think they would have pulled it, or better yet, not have issued it at all until they were solid.

This to me, is just another Win 95a and Vista type problem!

They did great with 3.1, 95b, XP, 7, but all the rest had lots of serious issues.

I have always been the type to say give the end user more control and don't fix something that isn't broke. Personally, I would have kept Win 7 and given updates that were OPTIONS for people who could actually utilize the new additions. But what do I know?!

US is supposed to have so much freedom, but Germany gets a much better deal with MS than we do. Such is life.

If I weren't so afraid of future (drastic) changes, I would just keep Windows 7 and have good AV/malware protection, but I am sure they will make it so you can't use programs, applications and other stuff to make sure you can't keep going.
Dell Precision M4600
16GB RAM
1920x1080 Display
Integrated Web Cam
Windows 7 Professional