Author Topic: tweaking triggers system-wide blocking of admin executables  (Read 4095 times)

Offline mauricev

• View Profile
tweaking triggers system-wide blocking of admin executables
« on: January 03, 2019, 11:37:43 pm »
A computer running Windows 10 x64 1703 has been continually eating its virtual memory for no apparent reason. The system has 32 GB RAM and it was essentially maxed when I saw it despite no user programs running. The user also reports periodic freezing in both Firefox and Chrome.

I tried Windows Update to get 1803. For an unknown reason, it failed. (I wanted to try manually, but it seems 1803 isn't available any longer).

So I ran 4.4.1 in safe mode. It ran fine. However, after rebooting, I was unable to access any administrator tool control panel. They all threw up a message that the administrator has blocked my access to the executable, claiming that the administrator has blocked my access. I didn't try other executables. To get the computer back in business quickly, I used system restore and that worked, but there appears to be a bug in 4.4.1 that is tripping up permissions on at least some executables.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: tweaking triggers system-wide blocking of admin executables
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 01:29:54 am »
I haven't test run 4.4.1 yet but 4.4.0 blocked the mmc.exe so that I was unable to access Services and I think that included Event Viewer.

I found running the program again cleared that error, but I always create a Macrium system image before test running the program.

I'm in the process of updating a machine to 1809 where I'll then test run 4.4.1 and will shortly be running it on this 1803 machine.

I will pass on your and my findings to Shane if adverse.

Have you run the update troubleshooter on that machine to see what it reports ?

Can you right click on the taskbar and select Task Manager then under Processes you will see what is eating up the memory - clicking on CPU or Memory will sort to the highest user first.

Also in Task Manager under Start-up you will see how many programs are running in the background and their impact.

I only have Realtek HD Audio Manager enabled in mine.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: tweaking triggers system-wide blocking of admin executables
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 03:57:28 am »
Update - Completed running the repair program on 1803 and after the reboot, typing services.msc at start and pressing enter didn't give me anything and neither did selecting Event Viewer from the right click start menu.

I then tried Command Prompt (Admin) which reluctantly started and then Services and Event Viewer opened.

One error to note was that the Windfend service was unable to start because it couldn't find the file, but as I have Norton Security installed, Windows Defender is disabled anyway.

Norton Security started as it should and I was able to run a manual check for updates, which you can't when you open it in Safe Mode which meant that the program had successfully released the machine from Safe Mode with Networking.

I did get 12 notifications of problems with various Apps which were the reset to whatever, including my default browser of IE reset back to Edge.

That was easily changed back and as I don't use any of the other Apps, I wasn't too concerned about those.

Of the repairs, I leave out the ones for the CD/DVD drive, App and Component store repairs, so not sure why I get those notifications about the Apps being reset.

Anyway, I'll be restoring with the Macrium image I'd created before running the program.