Author Topic: Help with Windows Repair Program  (Read 3861 times)

Offline Alexhousek

• View Profile
Help with Windows Repair Program
« on: April 24, 2019, 11:54:33 am »
Shane, you may not remember me, but I used to be an editor over at Gimzo's Techsupportalert and I wrote the article on Best Free Memory Optimizer and used CleanMem as my top pick.  We conversed several times over the years.  (BTW-I still use and recommend CleanMem!)

Anyway, I need some assistance with your Windows Repair program.  I've posted 2 different posts at Wilder's.  Here they are:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/tweaking-com-windows-repair-free-pro-updates.385125/page-9#post-2822117
and
https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/tweaking-com-windows-repair-free-pro-updates.385125/page-9#post-2822818

The computer did reboot into safe mode, but no icons or start menu showed up. I just wanted to click the "windows update" check mark and run it while in safe mode.  Is it possible that I could just click that and run it in normal mode?

(I did purchase the Pro version.)

Do you have any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Windows Repair Program
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 03:05:04 pm »
Yes you can run the repair program in normal mode but there's always the danger that an antivirus program could interfere.

If you used the program to boot into Safe Mode with Networking, can you try booting into that mode through Windows to see if you get the same.

Offline Alexhousek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 06:56:59 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion.  I had tried to use the program to reboot into safe mode.  I took your advice and used Windows 10 advanced startup to reboot into Safe Mode; and it worked.  I was able to then run Windows Repair and only selected the "Windows update" checkbox.  After rebooting, however, windows update still didn't work.  (As you will see, it wasn't the fault of the program, however.)

Attempts to enable windows update service in services.msc were not successful.  My computer would not allow me to enable the windows update service.  I remembered that in my earlier attempts to fix windows update, I downloaded and installed a utility called WUMT Wrapper Script.  It was the culprit.  Once I uninstalled this program (and undid the script), windows update worked. 

So, thanks for your assistance.  Much appreciated.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 01:09:13 am »
Hi Alex,

Thanks for the update and glad you found the cause.

It doesn't take much to foul up Windows Updates but glad you have a good memory :)

Can you try the program again to see if it will boot up into Safe Mode correctly now ?

Offline Alexhousek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 06:25:44 pm »
I will do so this weekend and let you know.