Author Topic: BSOD and maintenance of external HDs  (Read 16935 times)

Offline Lady

• View Profile
Re: BSOD and maintenance of external HDs
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2019, 03:28:15 am »
Yes, but I don't know what to tell them when their Diagnostic tool says it's fine. Maybe you can help me with phrasing that.

A driver question (I'm learning  :smiley:): with DriverView open I connected WD HD and the driver appeared. Then I connected the other WD HD, the black one, but no second WD driver appeared. Is that okay? Does that mean that the same driver is used for both HDs?

I still have those four WPD file system volume drivers. They're on uninstall mode. Should I install them? They're not in use now, are they? Haven't found any portable device of mine yet which uses one of them. Then they were used to get the WD HD running like satrow said, is that correct?

How is the WD HD driver doing right now? I see in DriverView that it is installed on the WD HD but is it loading correctly now? I finally was able to get the Sysnative App report. See attachment. So maybe you can see what really caused the BSOD and we can rule out the hub? I noticed that the Sysnative App report is the same as the msinfo report. Can you tell me where to look for that driver, so I can learn how to check that. I looked through it but I cannot see it.

The black WD HD is quiet and its led light is on constantly. I think I saw that incorrectly earlier, that I thought it should be out in rest. The white WD HD's led light is also on continuously, sometimes it flickers and the HD inside is running which still says there's something very wrong. I can still access the files on it, so there's no problem.

Can you or satrow please tell me what you think actually caused the BSOD? Was it the hub or the WD HD driver? Or was the hub unstable upon which the WD HD driver crashed and the system shut down? I think it's best that I connect the ext. HDs directly to the USB port next time I make system image backups, right?

I just checked the Windows logs > Applications and those three Prey logs are there again all the time. Should I do something about that? Prey is a program which locates your devices when lost or stolen. But since I have a VPN I don't think they can be found anymore, hahaha. So should I uninstall Prey and see if those logs disappear?

About the C: disk space: how much space do the Windows7 operating system files take up? To check if there's something wrong there.

Tom, could you please answer the questions I asked in my last post? Some are important, like the restore point/shadow copies one.
Excuse my many questions. We're dealing with several issues at the same time and I felt taxed with all this new info and I'm trying hard to get my head around all of it.

To Fear no guarantees are ever strong enough.
To Love none are necessary.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: BSOD and maintenance of external HDs
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2019, 05:26:06 am »
In the past I have occasionally turned off system protection which has removed all restore points and then the greyed out volume shadow copies in Device Manager.

Retaining just your last restore point, you could still go into Device Manager and uninstall/delete the greyed out volume shadow copies.

Win 7 requires 20GB of space.

I'll leave the sysnative report to satrow as it's in Dutch, but he'll be aware of what each log refers to.

As for contacting WD, you could ask them why the HDD light flickers and continues to run when it isn't in use and that may point them to something we aren't aware of.