Author Topic: Repair Permissions - CMD - GUIless  (Read 5111 times)

Offline walda

• View Profile
Repair Permissions - CMD - GUIless
« on: July 02, 2019, 09:56:33 am »
I have done some not so smart things, i have took ownership over a folder with a tool, from an old C: drive from my old PC.
Then the next day i couldn't safe any downloads with FireFox to my real C: drive, so i was stupid enough to take ownership of my full productive C: drive.
Then i lost all my fonts, i guess i have also tried icacls reset, but nothing worked.

Now interestingly my FireFox does work, but everything else looks like this or doesn't even open:

Now i wanted to give Windows Repair Tool a try, but since i can't see anything also i tried to start Windows Rapair Tool but it doesn't seem to start.

So is there a way to start it headless/GUIless ? I can only really do stuff over Troubleshooting > CMD, but i got already an error that this is only WindowsPE.
What i can also do is blindly copy CMD commands from firefox in to CMD, normal windows bootet but i can't press or click anything if further step if needed.

Thanks for keeping this here up! Thats the mentality of internet because of people like you the internet is the place it is to day.  :cheesy:
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 10:01:27 am by walda »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Repair Permissions - CMD - GUIless
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 01:40:17 pm »
You need to get into the advanced boot options to access the Restore Point option and hope you have one prior to you taking ownership.

Power shut down then reboot and power shut down again when the Windows logo comes up.

Do this another twice and let it run after the third reboot.

This will take you to the Diagnosing your PC and then onto the advanced boot options.

Click on Troubleshoot/Advanced options and select the Restore point option.

There is a batch file you can use to add take ownership to the right click context menu so that you can take ownership of individual files, but let's try and get you back up first.

Offline walda

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 07:14:35 am »
I can get their also by pressing Shift+ New Start, but i have no restore points.
My C: disk was full and when i was looking for the reason i was so smart and disabled restore option, by that i deleted all restore points before.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 07:30:14 am »
So I suppose you won't have created a system image either ?

When you said nothing else worked, I assumed the Start button didn't either which was why I described that method to get into the advanced boot options.

You can save some space on your HDD by turning off Hibernate.

If you right click on the battery icon and select Power Options/Choose what closing the lid does then click on Change settings that are currently unavailable - that will activate the boxes lower down where you can uncheck the boxes for fast startup and Hibernate and then reboot.

While your Firefox is working, you would be able to create Win 10 install media, but if you are unable to access File Explorer - This PC then you wouldn't be able to perform a repair install.

A repair install doesn't affect personal stuff or installed programs.

However, if you are on 1903 then because of a bug in 1903 you can't do either.

The only option that I can think that is left to you is to go back into the advanced boot options and select Reset.

This will retain your personal stuff but will remove all installed programs.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 07:37:49 am by Boggin »

Offline walda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 07:44:06 am »
Yeah exactly I already tried via repair install, but like u said because i have 1903 it seems not possible.
Then i would have to wait until 20H1 comes out, then it would be maybe possible.

It makes me a bit mad i am asking my self, what caused the bug. And if there is maybe a workaround.

Ok I accepted it already, and i said after 1-2 weeks now i will today or tomorrow reset the thing, you made me now more sure about it!
Thank you a lot Boggin!!

Offline walda

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 07:48:04 am »
Oh there is one thing, i asked my self, what happens if i uninstall over troubleshoot some updates?

I mean can't i downgrade to 1809? and then try repair-install again? xD

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 07:52:27 am »
I recently had to reset this machine because of a bug in 1903 - I was getting a MMC error when trying to access Event Viewer.

If I'd waited a bit longer, I could have saved myself some time because MS brought out an update to resolve that bug.

Just seen your latest reply.

The roll back can only be done within 10 days of the update but that doesn't always work.

You would need 1809 install media but the MCT only has it for 1903.

However, the roll back may even fix your permissions problem and everything that came with that.

Offline walda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 08:01:47 am »
I have the image of 1809 still here on my mac, because i first installed 1809 back then.

But rollback is not possible after 10 days, hmm those are long gone.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2019, 08:04:20 am »
It's doubtful that it would accept 1809 install media given the problem with 1903 but you could give it a try.