Author Topic: Error code 0X81000037  (Read 5109 times)

Offline trailwindslad

• View Profile
Error code 0X81000037
« on: July 14, 2019, 06:57:45 am »
On windows 7 64 I cannot back up one computer with a WD My Passport. I receive the error code 0X81000037.
Would anyone know if any of the pro system tweaks help to fix this problem?
Thank you

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Error code 0X81000037
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 08:41:40 am »
I've seen that this error can be caused by an infected file or a corrupt Reparse Point file.

Run a Full scan with your antivirus program - a quick scan may not detect anything.

Ensure your antivirus program is set to delete any infection it finds.

Download and run Tweaking.com Windows Repair program and use the option to boot into Safe Mode then open the program in that mode and click on Option 2 to start the Pre-Scan to see if it finds any problems with the Reparse Point files.

If it does then use the program's Reparse Point Repair - reboot and try the back up again.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 08:44:10 am by Boggin »

Offline trailwindslad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 10:29:12 am »
Thank you for your answer. I have done a full scan and the programe did find a detection which it did not like and it was removed. I also have tried the second option and something was found, but it was I corrected. There are many ideas online and I have tried several of them, but so far nothing seems to work. The problem has only existed for two weeks since I have backup from late June. It is not the backup drive as the other computer backs up fine. I guess I shall have to keep looking, thank you again.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 02:29:56 pm »
Are you able to create restore points and physically check they have been made ?

The Windows Repair program does repair the Volume Shadow Copy service which could be at fault, but if you can create restore points, then I don't think that would be a consideration.

Can you try the back up again and then go immediately into Event Viewer, ensuring Event Viewer (Local) is highlighted in the left pane - if it isn't, just click on it.

When it has read the data, click on Error then on View All Instances of this Event in the lower right pane and see if there are any additional errors with the same time stamp which may be associated with the back up error.

If you think any are relevant, you can copy & paste them into your reply by clicking on one then on Copy/Copy details as text in the lower right pane - right click in the Reply box and select Paste and do the same for any others.

I'm not sure if a sfc /scannow run from an admin command prompt would find anything on this but let me know if it reports anything other than no integrity violations.

Offline trailwindslad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 11:21:14 am »
I tried the Dependencies Tab under services.msc late yesterday and when I tried your suggestion to redo the backup since I did not think that it would work, the backup went through. I shall keep your suggestion in mind when I again have this problem as it seems to reoccur.
Thank you

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 02:21:48 pm »
How do you mean you tried the Dependencies tab and on which service ?

Offline trailwindslad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 10:51:24 am »
I looked at the article online which is listed below and tried to follow it. I made some minor adjustments and then tried the backup again to use the suggestion about the event viewer, and the backup worked. I am not sure what caused the backup to succeed.

Volume Shadow Copy service and Windows backup service are the two essential services required to perform Windows backup. Apart from these essential services, there are dependency services such as Remote Procedure Call which are required to run Windows backup utility.

Go to services.msc to check if these services as well as their dependency services are running.

To open services.msc:

a. Go to start and type services.msc in the search field.
b. Locate the two services.
c. Right-Click on the service one at a time.
d. Select properties.
e. Go to Dependencies Tab.
f. Note the dependency services.
g. Make sure they’re also running.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 02:14:28 pm »
Well you would certainly know about it if the RPC wasn't running as a number of services are dependent on that.

So do you think the problem is fixed ?