Author Topic: [SOLVED] Windows Repair 2018 (v4.5.3) has Application.Bundler.iStartSurf.AKV  (Read 4721 times)

Offline lobrien

• View Profile
My Emsisoft Anti-Malware prevented the installation of the latest Window Repair citing the "Application.Bundler.iStartSurf.AKV" virus.

In addition, VirusTotal, lists 10 separate anti-virus engines that show a virus in the "tweaking.com_windows_repair_aio_setup" file. Go to VirusTotal.com and search for "7f7346421ef19dbc3095132c47e74c5d9fdd07671e6cbd2e5cd37cbf75599773"
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 09:46:58 am by lobrien »
Liam O'Brien

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I've just tried the Direct Download from https://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html and my Norton Security said it was safe.

I would say this is a false positive for you but will pass onto Shane.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I've just ran a scan with AdwCleaner which specializes in removing unwanted bundled software should Norton have missed it and it didn't find anything untoward.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/

Offline lobrien

• View Profile
Hi Tom,

Yes, AdwCleaner is usually quite reliable. Norton is not listed as one of the 66 engines on the VirusTotal page. However, most of the flagged descriptions are similar so it might be possible that the false positive is coming from BitDefender which is used in EmsiSoft Anti-Malware.

Thanks for checking!

Kind Regards,
Liam
Liam O'Brien

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
It doesn't help you to get the program installed though and as VirusTotal has also snagged it, I'm loathe to advise that you whitelist www.tweaking.com even though Norton gave it as safe.

A little while ago Norton started kicking out the repair program even though I had it already installed.

Norton whitelisted www.tweaking.com for me which after a while I removed.

It may just have been one of the Definition updates that did it just as it could be one of the definition updates on Emsisoft, but I don't have an explanation as to why VirusTotal should have snagged it as well.

Offline lobrien

• View Profile
Hi Tom,

Today, Emsisoft flagged the quarantine of the Windows Repair setup file as being a false positive. Following this I was able to correctly install the 4.5.3 update.

Kind Regards,
Liam
Liam O'Brien

Offline lobrien

• View Profile
I do not know how to set the subject line to "Resolved". In any case, this issue can now be flagged as closed. Thanks!
Liam O'Brien

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
You go to your opening post, click on Modify and add [SOLVED] to the title, but have you been able to install the program ?

Offline lobrien

• View Profile
Yes, I have been able to install the software. I have also updated VirusTotal and for the rescan only 3 of the 67 engines are flagging the setup file as a problem. Emsisoft and BitDefender no longer flag the file.
Liam O'Brien

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
It's possible their Definitions have moved on from what was snagging that Heuristic.