Author Topic: Tweaking v4.5.5 free version taking very long  (Read 4208 times)

Offline gregbo

• View Profile
Tweaking v4.5.5 free version taking very long
« on: September 11, 2019, 07:12:34 am »
I have been having issues with my Windows Updater so I decided to download and run the Tweaking v4.5.5 free software. After having done all the previous steps, I hopped to the repairs.

I had started the repairs at 10:15pm and about 2 hours later it had got to Repair Job 8/42. When I got up this morning I saw it was still on Repair Job 8.

Is it supposed to take this long or is there potentially something wrong with the software?

Please see the attachment for a pic I took. Note that I took the pic useing a cellphone and am posting this from another computer.

Thanks,

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Tweaking v4.5.5 free version taking very long
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 08:06:53 am »
No pic attached.

This has been reported before but as long as the CPU is showing usage, the program is still working.

I've never been able to replicate this as when I test run the program, it sails through all of the repairs.

Why did you need to run the repair program and which version of Windows are you using ?

Offline gregbo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 08:29:54 am »
Sorry for the pic. For some reason I am unable to upload it to the site so here is an imgur link with it. https://imgur.com/a/UyW1ySy

You will see that CPU usage is at about 0%. Not sure if this is cause for concern.

I am currently on Windows 10 and I had run it because one of my Windows updates has been consistently failing for several months. When applying the Windows troubleshooter on the Windows Updater, I got a messag that there was a problem in the directory that the files downloaded to. (I may be remembering this not very accurately as this was last night and I can't really run it again now)

Thanks

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 08:50:35 am »
When I have serious problems with my Win 10 I will perform a repair install which doesn't affect personal stuff or installed programs.

For this you will need Win 10 install media which you can create after reading the instructions at https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

However, when I tried a repair install on my Win 10 1903 it took about 7¼hrs.

Did a sfc /scannow report anything untoward ?

You could open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter -

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

do another sfc /scannow and then try the update again if that doesn't report anything untoward.

The odd time an update has failed on mine, it has installed it again straight after which has usually been successful.

Event Viewer may give you an error code for its failure which would be something to go on.

I assume you have performed at least a chkdks /f which will report if you have any KBs in bad sectors ?

To view a chkdsk log, open Event Viewer and when it has read the data, expand Windows Logs - click on Application/Action/Find and type chkdsk into the Find box.

Cancel the Find box and read the log in the scrollable window below.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 09:07:01 am »
If you do need to go for the repair install, once you have created the install media, open Windows/File Explorer - This PC - insert the install media and double click on its drive.

This will start the process when using a DVD but will open to its files when using an USB where you would then double click on setup.exe Application.

Offline gregbo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 01:19:19 pm »
Hi Tom,

I had indeed ryn the chkdsk commands and got no errors back.

The error code I found after seeing the failed update was 0xc1900101. This pointed to a potential faulty driver but after scouring my device manager I found none.

If I were to use the Win 10 media to try to fix my problem, I will have to stop the repair I have going on now (which is hitting 19 hours at this point with no progress).

Can I stop the repair without causing any more problems?

Thanks

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 01:25:19 pm »
Yes, you can stop the program.

Go into Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices and check again for faulty drivers but I also click on System Devices and right click on each to select Update driver and let it scan online to see if it can find any.