Author Topic: Tweaking Free- Logs or Reports  (Read 9387 times)

Offline Larbo

• View Profile
Tweaking Free- Logs or Reports
« on: September 21, 2019, 08:57:34 am »
Window 7 64-bit.

I have been getting fltmgr.sys BSODs.

I ran  the free Repair program and was wondering if there is are logs or reports of its results/changes/suggestions? Thanks
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 08:59:15 am by Larbo »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Tweaking Free- Logs or Reports
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 09:32:17 am »
Can you boot into Safe Mode with Networking and go into Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices then right click on each driver and check for updates.

You can go Start - type devmgmt.msc and press enter when it comes up.

I've seen this caused by a dodgy graphics driver.

Tap F8 (usually) as you switch on then use the cursor keys to select Safe Mode with Networking and press enter.

Check to see if you still get the BSODs after the restart.

You may also need to run a Command Prompt as an administrator and perform a sfc /scannow and a chkdsk /f

Go Start - type cmd then right click on cmd and select Run as administrator.

When the machine has rebooted on completion of the chkdsk, go Start - type eventvwr and press enter when it comes up.

Ensure Event Viewer (Local) is highlighted in the left pane - if it isn't then just click on it.

Expand Windows Logs when it has read the data then click on Application/Action/Find and type chkdsk into the Find box and press enter.

Cancel the Find box to read the log in the scrollable Window below.

Apart from anything else, check to see if it reports any KBs in bad sectors.

If you need to run a sfc /scannow let me know what it reports as well as the chkdsk.

Offline Larbo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 09:57:11 am »
Hi Tom,

Device Mgr is clear in Safe Mode other than the "printer driver being inaccessible in Safe Mode".

What I have done already are:
SFC- all ok  (from Com Prompt- Run As Admin)
Chkdsk- all ok  (same as above)
Malwarebytes
Tweaking.com Repair
Windows Update
Updated from mfg sites:
    GeForce graphics driver
    Intel Driver per Intel App
RAM
   Windows Memory Diagnostic
   Ran each of 2 sticks separately

Do you still want me to run SFC and Chkdsk again and look at the event logs?

Dont' know if it matters but the shutdown period has become lengthy. 45 secs or so.

Thanks!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 10:51:53 am »
If you've already done the chkdsk and sfc /scannow then there's no need to redo them if you checked the chkdsk log to see what it had reported.

Do you have any other security programs besides Malwarebytes (MBAM) ?

Can you perform a clean boot by going Start - type msconfig and press enter when it comes up.

Under Startup Disable all - Apply - OK then under Services check the box to Hide all Microsoft services - Disable all - Apply - OK then reboot.

Shut it down to see if that makes any difference to the shutdown time.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 10:59:29 am by Boggin »

Offline Larbo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 10:58:19 am »
I'll ck out the msconfig option later on. Thanks. Are there any logs or reports that are generated after running Tweaking.com Repairs?

Larry

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2019, 11:05:34 am »
Yes there are.

Open Windows Explorer - Windows C: - Program Files (x86) - scroll down to Tweaking com and double click on it then double click on Windows Repair (All in One) then click on Logs.

You haven't said if you are using any other security program(s).

Offline Larbo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2019, 11:27:03 am »
Thanks. Logs- didn't see anything regarding bad results. Lots of things not accessed since it was in Safe Mode, I guess. I added a Logs shortcut to the Start Menu for easy access later. Anything specific to look for or is there a primer on the topic?

Security Progs: Just Avast.  I do use CCleaner weekly or so. Got rid of Spybot months ago. Used Revo to do so.

OMG, I forgot to mention. About 4 months ago a memtested my RAM and one was bad. GSkills sent me a new pair. Yesterday, when I had done that "one at a time" test on the sticks, I put them back in the black slots. This morning I ran System Information and found that it was only detecting 1 stick. Discovered that my mobo prefers that 2 sticks use the gray slots, not the black. I moved them over, msinfo is happy and it has been a quiet morning. Mind you, this BSOD issue is a week old and the sticks went in months ago. But, there ya go. We'll see.

I just ran a program called Who Crashed to see what it woud do and it stated:
"Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high. "
Is there any useful info in that? Probably not.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 11:47:50 am by Larbo »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2019, 01:39:36 pm »
I think that tends to point to a software driver and the clean boot could point to which one.

Can you go Start - type eventvwr and press enter when it comes up.

Click on Error when it has read the data then click on View All Instances of This Event in the lower right pane then look for any time stamped errors for when the BSOD occurred.

There may be associated time stamped errors that may tell us more.

Also expand Windows Logs and click on System which in some cases can identify which driver is the cause - you'll probably have to scroll down the list.

Had you installed any programs or hardware prior to the BSODs occurring ?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 01:44:26 pm by Boggin »

Offline Larbo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2019, 10:34:53 pm »
Before I went out, I had a few minutes to play with eventvwr. Things didn't quite look the way I read it in your post. I will work with it some more tomorrow. Thanks for sticking with me!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2019, 12:49:15 am »
Sometimes when I open Event Viewer, Event Viewer (Local) isn't highlight so you wouldn't get what you need to see.

This is what mine looks like with Windows Logs expanded.

BTW - Did you also check for updates in the Non-Plug and Play Drivers in Device Manager ?

Offline Larbo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2019, 11:02:11 am »
Still working on event viewer. Lost track of the exact time of my last BSOD so I am waiting for a new one.

Was wondering what drivers would not be PNP? Video? Extra HDDs? My ol' Logitech Trackman Marble? I did find under Storage Controllers a "DAEMON Tools Lite Virtual SCSI Bus". I do have Damon Lite installed (not installed recently). Maybe its time to say bye-bye. Seems heavy-handed.

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 11:28:41 am by Larbo »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2019, 01:23:57 pm »
Have a look under Startup in msconfig to see which programs are starting when you boot up.

If it has been a while since your last BDOD then perhaps whatever was causing it has resolved itself, but I guess only time will tell on that.

Offline Larbo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2019, 02:29:33 pm »
Got another BSOD.  I will research event viewer later today, can’t do right now.

Using MSconfig with a BSOD that only happens occasionally is not troubleshooting, it seems like a career. I think there’s a lot of software that starts up.  I’ll try the “first eliminate 1/2 of them” routine.

Any thoughts on the non plug-and-play drivers?  Or should I just give up that tact. Thanks!!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2019, 02:34:46 pm »
Right click on the Non-Plug and Play Drivers to see if any update - you never know your luck, one of them could be the cause.

What were you doing when you got the BSOD ?

Offline Larbo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2019, 06:38:13 pm »
Forum wouldn't let me send my large entry. I had to take a pic and it is attached below. It BSOD'd again after I manipulated the pic and was attaching it to this thread. Here we go again. I hope you can read it!!

I attached it along with the script up above but would not let me send it. It said:

CleanTalk: *** Forbidden. Data submitted too often. Please wait a few minutes. Please enable JavaScript. ***

All the above not valid.

I had to remove the attachment to get it to go through. Is there a size limit on attachments? will send seprately.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 06:51:44 pm by Larbo »

Offline Larbo

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2019, 06:48:18 pm »
Maybe now, converted jpg to a pdf. This is a mess. :sad:
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 06:50:51 pm by Larbo »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2019, 01:17:55 am »
I get the Disk Event ID 11 on my Win 7 machine when I plug in an external HDD to create a system image but from what I've found on that error, you can ignore it but it would suggest that you have something plugged into you machine either on boot or shortly afterwards.

The WUDFRd driver could relate to any other USB device that you have plugged in.

As that is down as a Warning, I'm not sure if it relates to your BSOD.

It would seem that you can stop this warning if you go into Services by going Start - type services.msc and press enter when it comes up then scroll down to Windows Driver Foundation then right click on it and select Properties.

Use the dropdown to change to Automatic - click on Start - Apply - OK - exit Services and reboot.

It's best not to have any additional USB devices plugged in when you first boot up.

In  Device Manager/USB Controllers, right click on each of the Controllers and check for updates.

Shortly after having the motherboard replaced in my Win 7 machine I came across this free driver updater program which found a few for me.

You could give that a try to see what it comes up with.

https://www.drvhub.net/
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 01:26:36 am by Boggin »

Offline Larbo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2019, 07:22:25 am »
USB Controller are all up to date per the online search.

I rarely use the USB jacks but plugged in internally are the printer, trackball and onboard card reader. I just unplugged a couple of HDDs that don't need to be hot 24/7.

I changed that Services setting to Automatic.

Most people seem to discourage the 3rd party driver update programs. All seem to have a twist. The free Driver Max has a max of 2 per day, lots of "Pro" pop ups, and showed a lot more needed updates on Intel than the actual Intel Driver Update Utility. Reminded me of the likelhood of getting a prognosis for surgery if you go see a surgeon. Its what they do. Revo'd. The free Driver Easy had a 56k (yes, fax/modem 56k) download speed cap!  I did run the scan just now and all the drivers are Intel exc the one for the card reader (unknown name- Alcor). That did not last long. Revo'd. Driver Booster lists a ton of uneeded (acc to Winodws 7 and Intel) Intel and all the USB controllers! Revo'd.

Thanks. I guess all that is left is the msconf routine or did I miss something?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 07:30:13 am by Larbo »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2019, 07:30:50 am »
I was never one for updater programs having previously had a bad experience with Slimdrivers and IObit updater but found DriverHub to be a decent updater.

I think you've covered everything so try msconfig for a clean boot.

Offline Larbo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2019, 07:20:16 am »
Hi, I hope to try the clean boot this weekend. I was wondering about something. I am using a applet called Blue Screen to access my dmp files and I am finding that not all of the fltmgr.sys BSOD's are generating dmp files. Just happend a minute ago while on the internet. Is that indicative of something? I also noticed that only sometimes upon bootup after the same BSOD, I am taken to the screen that asks if I want to open Windows normally (Safe Mode?).

On the other hand, the process of cleaning up my system has fixed my Windows inability to log out when it goes to sleep.

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 07:27:14 am by Larbo »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2019, 07:25:11 am »
Not all BSODs create dump files.

You could try WhoCrashed to see if that gives you more info.

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/whocrashed_free_home_edition.html

Offline Larbo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2019, 07:27:55 am »
I'll ck that out.

I (obviously) need to go to Windows 10 (clean install) anyway so this whole adventure may just get me to finally do that. Can you recommend a primer on how to do that?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2019, 07:32:50 am »
How do you mean - primer ?

Why not try reinstalling all of your programs after uninstalling them first - you would have to do that anyway if you went for a clean install.

I think the dump file was pointing to a software driver.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2019, 07:52:07 am »
If you uninstall all of the programs first and you no longer get any BSODs then you'll know it must have been one of those.

Offline Larbo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2019, 08:19:33 am »
By "primer" I mean a "how-to" guide on how to prepare for an OS SSD reformat and new install (Win 10).