Author Topic: BSOD Messages  (Read 3764 times)

Offline ToraScotia

• View Profile
BSOD Messages
« on: October 20, 2019, 11:14:11 am »
My computer is a desktop, which was created by Quiet PC and as the name might suggest, it does not contain any fans. My operating system is Windows 10, 64-bit.

I recently installed a registered version of Tweaking.com, but unfortunately, I soon ran into some problems.

I booted into Safe Mode as suggested and had a look at the various things the programme had to offer.
I then selected a few of the repairs and ran the programme. When this had finished, I chose to reboot.

I got a BSOD with the message "Your PC ran into a problem & needs to restart" "What failed? rtwlanu.sys."

I switched off the power to the PC then rebooted. I made a search for a solution to the problem, but as I was unsuccessful, I restored a snapshot backup, using Macrium Reflect.

A few days later, I reinstalled Tweaking.com and once again I entered the programme via Safe Boot.
The only thing I did was to to enable the f8 Boot function.

I then chose the reboot option. I got another BSOD message. This one stated "Attempted execute of noexecute memory" "What failed? srv2.sys."

To cut a long story short, I restored my latest Macrium backup and currently, Tweaking.com is not installed on my PC.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: BSOD Messages
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 11:42:20 am »
It could be that the wlan driver is also causing the svr2.sys error as they are interlinked.

Go into Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices/Network adapters and right click on the wireless one and select Uninstall - but don't check the box to include software.

You can then either reboot or click on Action/Scan for hardware changes where the driver will be reinstalled.

I don't know what the program does for Repair Network, but as you have a Macrium image, you could try reinstalling the repair program and uncheck the Repair Network before running the repair.

Let me know how you get on after uninstalling the wireless driver.

Offline ToraScotia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 08:45:04 am »
Thanks for the reply. I did as you instructed then reinstalled Tweaking.com. I then booted into Safe Mode, I selected the repair option, but left the Repair Network (and the UAC as I keep that switched off) unchecked.

I got the BSOD again concerning the rtwlanu.sys, but this time the message continued, collected some error info, then rebooted my PC back into Safe Mode.

I restarted the machine and I was soon back into Windows 10.

Later, I realised that there was something I was taking for granted.

I get my Internet via a broadband connection, but because of a problem I had with it a couple of years ago, I bought a wireless dongle, as a sort of backup. Could this be having an effect on the situation?

The dongle has been sitting in one of the USB ports on the computer. Out of sight, out of mind, so to speak.

As an experiment, I removed the dongle, then booted into Safe Mode and Tweaking.com.

I opted for the System Tweaks then rebooted the machine. No BSOD this time.

The following day, still without the wireless dongle, I Safe Booted into Tweaking.com.

I opted this time for a Disk Cleanup (got nearly a Gig from Memory Dump), then rebooted into Windows  without a BSOD appearing.

I'll monitor this situation for a week or so, but at the moment I'm optimistic about the outcome.

Meanwhile, the wireless dongle will be kept in a safe place, 'just in case.'

Thank you for your help with my problem.

Gus, Edinburgh, Scotland

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 01:35:13 pm »
Yes, in my search for why that should cause a BSOD I found that rtwlanu.sys related to a wireless dongle but had to assume that was the only means you had of using wireless.

You aren't unique in using a dongle when a built in wireless NIC causes problems but it's the first case I've come across where one was the cause of a BSOD after running the repair program.

What was the problem you had a couple of years ago ?

Quite often uninstalling/reinstalling or updating a driver can resolve.

Sometimes Internet connectivity can be blocked by an antivirus program.

When that happens, booting up into Safe Mode with Networking can determine if it is something installed on the computer.

With Win 10 though, in that mode wireless is auto disabled but you can manually reconnect to your SSID to use wireless.

Offline ToraScotia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 07:37:25 am »
With regards to my broadband problem. This occurred a few years ago when the signal would drop off for a while. This could be anything from a few seconds to several minutes. Not much fun when you're watching a major sporting event on-line.

I bought the wireless dongle hoping that if or when  the broadband problem kicked in, the Wi-Fi would take over. This is just what happened on a few occasions.

The good news is that the broadband anomaly seems to be a thing of the past.

Tweaking.com is working perfectly and in my opinion, it's a great asset for all computer users.

Thanks again.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 07:53:08 am »
Some routers have the channel setting to auto which can mean they will switch channels randomly.

A channel conflict with someone else can knock out your connection, but when that happens, Ethernet connect if practical and if the connection remains then that would/could confirm a wireless problem rather than it being a fault on your line.

Download inSSIDer3 which will tell you if you are currently on the best wireless channel, using the Link Score as a guide.

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

Click on Networks when the right pane has populated.

You will need to log into your router to change the channel to confirm if it is the best for you.

Anyway, I'm glad that you have found the cause of the BSODs :)