Author Topic: RegistryBackup - Failed - Error: - Tried File Copy, File In use  (Read 5256 times)

Offline John Terdik

• View Profile
I'm running Win 10 Pro v1903 build 18362.418
Registry Backup v3.5.3
I've been running registry backup with success since Dec of 2016 but the last two weeks it has been failing with the following errors. I've also attached the log just in case there is something I missed.

[11/03/19 - 17:31:49] Backing Up File: C:\Users\UpdatusUser\ntuser.dat
[11/03/19 - 17:31:49] Result: Failed - Error: -1 (API Reg Save Failed (), Tried File Copy, File In use, Cannot copy.)

[11/03/19 - 17:31:49] Backing Up File: C:\Users\UpdatusUser\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat
[11/03/19 - 17:31:49] Result: Failed - Error: -1 (API Reg Save Failed (), Tried File Copy, File In use, Cannot copy.)

I've rebooted the system several times and always get the error somewhere during the startup. I've also run the function in Tweaking.com Window Repair (v4.6.1) and get the same failure (I think it is the same).

It seems that I'm in constant computer hell with some weird issue thus I may have done something to create the issue but I'm not aware of what it might be. I currently have two major issues I've been researching for a few weeks, so far no solution. Because of the two issues (Sometimes when I boot my desktop the PC does not assign the static address and I get  ip address 169.254.71.110 or something like that. Also sometimes it will occur when the system has been running for some time, the other issue is a BSOD) I've gone down numerous rabbit holes. I will admit that I'm in over my head.

Earlier today I ran Tweaking.com Windows Repair and I'm still recovering from changes it made for me (damn). Now I have another new issue which occurred after running Windows Repair. Normally I leave my PC run 24x7, now when I return to my PC after being away for a period of time (few minutes to hours) the PC has shutdown. So far I cannot determine why it is shutting down. I really do NOT want the PC to shutdown.

I'm trying to use WhoCrashed to help with the BSOD, I had to recreate the full dump after running Tweaking.com Windows Repair) and don't know if I still get the BSOD or have a new issue, e.g. the random shutdown.

I'm open for suggestions and would appreciate instructions at the dummy level.
jgt1942

Offline John Terdik

• View Profile
Re: RegistryBackup - Failed - Error: - Tried File Copy, File In use
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 09:55:52 pm »
More info - I left my PC to visit with my family and spend some time with my wife. When I returned to my PC it seemed to be in hibernation mode which is expected or so this has been the state for quite some time. The displays (I have two 32" monitors) were in sleep mode, the lights on the PC were on which is strange because when the system is hibernating the lights are off.

I moved my mouse and the PC started to come alive. But it was booting, e.g. it was NOT coming out of hibernation. I'm confused at this time.

I just open a CMD window as ADMIN and issued powercfg.exe /h off to ensure hibernation was turned off and the system would not go into hibernation.
I also checked my power options and ensured the display and sleep modes were set to NEVER.

I've been using the system tonight for about 3 hours and as expected it seems to be running normally.
I also ran WhoCrashed. It reported "Crash dumps are enabled on your computer." This means that I have correctly setup the big memory dump. Also it reported "Crash dumps are enabled but no valid crash dumps have been found." To me this means that the system DID NOT encounter a BSOD. Thus I'm confused as to why the system booted when I returned and moved the mouse.

I'm about to go to bed and will leave the system running.
I'm assuming that I have correctly set the power options to leave the displays on and not allow the system to sleep. Also I'm assuming that because I issued "powercfg.exe /h off" in the CMD window the system will NOT go into hibernation.

In the morning when I check the system I expect to see the PC running and both displays on.
I just ran the Registry Backup in Tweaking.com Windows Repair, it reports "The last scheduled backup had errors or failed." I checked the log and see two errors:
[11/04/19 - 00:48:38] Backing Up File: C:\Users\UpdatusUser\ntuser.dat
[11/04/19 - 00:48:38] Result: Failed - Error: -1 (API Reg Save Failed (), Tried File Copy, File In use, Cannot copy.)

[11/04/19 - 00:48:38] Backing Up File: C:\Users\UpdatusUser\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat
[11/04/19 - 00:48:38] Result: Failed - Error: -1 (API Reg Save Failed (), Tried File Copy, File In use, Cannot copy.)  :confused:

jgt1942

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 01:51:47 am »
There was a reported failure in v4.6.0 which produced this in my Reliability history at the time - this was a manual creation from within the repair program.

Description
Faulting Application Path:   C:\Program Files (x86)\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\files\registry_backup_tool\TweakingRegistryBackup.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:   APPCRASH
Application Name:   TweakingRegistryBackup.exe
Application Version:   3.5.0.3
Application Timestamp:   582f3b59
Fault Module Name:   MSVBVM60.DLL
Fault Module Version:   6.0.98.15
Fault Module Timestamp:   49b01fc3
Exception Code:   c000041d
Exception Offset:   000c9ba6
OS Version:   10.0.18362.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID:   2057
Additional Information 1:   1b6e
Additional Information 2:   1b6e63dc29ebd6300d69c986a1567d6c
Additional Information 3:   5cda
Additional Information 4:   5cda39ddfdabe6c268d75e3e895034b6

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID:   0e381e302e0f731160cf690af57cccd1 (108571720889)

However, having just run the registry backup from Backup Tools from within the repair program, no such further errors have been reported using 4.6.1 Pro.

Can you manually create a registry back up from within the program as I've done to see if you still get error messages ?

My Win 10 doesn't seem to create that many restore points, but check yours to see if you have one prior to running the repair program.

As for the Internet problem, can you switch off the router and computer and disconnect all cables for a couple of minutes.

Reconnect the cables then switch just the router on until all of its lights are on and then switch the computer on.

This is known as a router power cycle and can resolve most connectivity problems.

When you get that 169.254.###.### IP address, that denotes a DHCP problem where Windows uses a workaround of assigning an APIPA address of 169.254. until the DHCP server becomes available but generally, a reboot of the router or computer is needed.

https://wiki.wireshark.org/APIPA

You can also open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter these cmds -

netsh winsock reset

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /registerdns

shutdown /r /t 00

and then see how things are after the reboot.

Offline John Terdik

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 10:42:18 am »
Can you manually create a registry back up from within the program as I've done to see if you still get error messages ?
After running the Registry Backup and getting the failure I did run the backup within Windows Repair and got the same error. As a test I just ran the backup within Window Repair and got the failure, the log is attached. I just noticed that the date of the log file is 11/04/19 1300 hours (this is the current time) thus the log was updated from my most recent run.

I'm assuming that the failure is unique to Tweaking.com, I just used Registry First Aid v11.3 to backup the registry. I thought that I had some app I installed that backs up the registry daily but I'm not finding it now. I assume this is due to old age and a few lost brain cells.

Tweaking.com is backing up something, see the attached image Backups as of 2019 1104.png

As for the Internet problem, can you switch off the router and computer and disconnect all cables for a couple of minutes.
I had tried this a few weeks ago and even did a full power reset, e.g. with the power cable unplugged I pressed the power on button a few times on each device.

The past few days (5 I think) I have NOT seen this issue.

Reconnect the cables then switch just the router on until all of its lights are on and then switch the computer on.

This is known as a router power cycle and can resolve most connectivity problems.
This I did not do or at least not in the sequence you suggest. If the issue reoccurs I'll give it a shot.

When you get that 169.254.###.### IP address, that denotes a DHCP problem where Windows uses a workaround of assigning an APIPA address of 169.254. until the DHCP server becomes available but generally, a reboot of the router or computer is needed.
That makes sense, thanks. To get back my static address:
  • first I checked the adapter properties to ensure it still had the info for the static address. Sometimes it was all blank. I don't know if I did something to wipe it out or it was part of the issue.
  • I'd open a CMD prompt as admin
  • issue ipconfig just to ensure the IP address was wrong
  • issue ipconfig /release
  • issue ipconfig /renew  (I'm not sure which I did first)
  • Normally my IP address would return back to my static address 192.168.0.168 and all would be OK until it recurred. I've not see the issue for a few days since running Windows Repair. I don't know if Windows Repair resolved the issue but I'm willing to give it credit

This AM (about 3 hours ago) I returned to my PC and I'm happy to report that it was running and both displays were on, e.g. NO BSOD.  :undecided: "Possibly" the hibernation routine had a weird something and forcing it off corrected it. Obviously I'm just guessing, I'm totally lost and grabbing anything that might provide relief.

Much thanks for the info and details!!! I remain open for suggestions.

jgt1942

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 03:09:09 pm »
I don't know what's going on with the registry backup having created all of those while reporting failures.

Which antivirus program are you using ?

You could try a clean boot to eliminate any 3rd party programs you have installed, but generally you can't stop the antivirus program in a clean boot - you can only turn that off from within its own settings.

If a clean boot and your AV program turned off doesn't resolve the fail error reports then I'll pass this onto Shane.

Offline John Terdik

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 05:04:00 pm »
I'm using Bitdefender Home Scanner with the Bitdefender Box since June 2018 and Registry Backup has  been running since March 2016. I will first try booting into safe mode and manually running Registry Backup.

I do have a LOT of applications installed, some of which perform duplicate functions. Where that is true if it does not have some added value I've been trying to uninstall all of the dups. This is a very slow process for me.

I've added several applications to my startup folder so when the system boots everything I normally use starts up. Booting into safe mode will eliminate most it not all of them. Also I could pause my AV while in safe mode when I run the Registry Backup.

BTW It is now 2000 hours and still NO IP address change or BSOD. I remain optimistic!  :shy:
Thanks again for the help.  :smiley:
jgt1942

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 12:49:03 am »
If you don't get the error while in Safe Mode, you will still need to perform a clean boot to ID which start up item is the cause.

Why do you need so many items to run in the background when you boot up ?

The only item I have in my Start-up is the Realtek HD Audio Manager while Kaspersky Total Security is a non-MS service.

Offline John Terdik

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 11:29:38 pm »
Boggin:
Looks like I need to perform a clean boot, it works in safe mode.
At boot, I start several applications because I heavily use them (Xplorer2, Outlook 2013, Everything, Hard Disk Sentinel, Process Explorer, AkrutoSync, SnagIt, SyncBackPro to name a few). In the past, after booting up I'd manually start all of them and got tired of the manual effort. In the past it was common that I'd have 25-50 applications running and bouncing between them and in some cases multiple windows for several applications. Now I don't do a lot of the educational development I did in the past and have greatly reduced the number of open applications but when I do research for woodworking I will have several applications running.

On average (whatever that really means) if my backup application is not running the CPU is about 30% busy (in the past it was much busier, e.g. about 8%, and I did manage to reduce it to the 30% I now see.
jgt1942

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 01:04:11 am »
I would start with your AV program by disabling that briefly to see if the error still/stops occurring.

If it continues then you will need to perform the clean boot, adding one start up item back at a time and then the non-MS services.

Offline John Terdik

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2019, 11:34:35 am »
I paused Bitdefender (my AV) and still had the issue (OH DARN  :cry:). Over the next few days, I will try the clean boot and then start adding things back. I've got to think about the entire process and try to approach in the correct fashion and ensure I can easily get back to my normal state.  :thinking:
Thanks!!!! 
jgt1942

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2019, 12:23:36 am »
Okay - let me know how you get on.