Author Topic: Windows Media Server no longer working  (Read 27713 times)

Offline Allen

• View Profile
Windows Media Server no longer working
« on: December 16, 2011, 03:34:36 pm »
Hey guys,

So I was having some problems with a few of my services being corrupted/permanently disabled due to a virus, and was advised to do a few things. The first was to download a new BFE reg code and import it to the registry, and the second was to use the AIO windows repair software.

Well, after installing the reg code and running the software, the issues that I was having before were gone, and everything seemed to have been fixed. But now, there's a new issue.

My Windows media server is no longer accessible via other devices. I use a hard wired connection for both my computer as well as my PS3, connected through a router, but now, after running the software, my PS3 can not locate the media server. I don't understand why/how this is, considering that they're DIRECTLY connected to the router, but my PS3 is no longer picking up my laptop. I use windows media server through my PS3 to view movies and whatnot, making this a rather big issue for me.

Is it possible that the software reset/reconfigured some services that were used for the media server? Any help/advice would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Media Server no longer working
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 04:23:35 pm »
The media player service should have been set to auto.

What version of the repair did you use?

Check your media center services and see what they are set to.

Can you also send the BFE reg file my way? If it works for all versions of windows I want to include it into the windows repair :-)

Shane

Offline Allen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 04:40:18 pm »
Yea no problem. I used 1.5.4 (downloaded from the site)

I've done a little more research and believe I've found the root of the problem as to why the media server won't initiate. Network discovery won't turn on. There are several services that Network discovery depends on that, after opening services, they refuse to start. The two services that won't start are:
Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
Computer Browser

Both of these are set to automatic, but won't start. ICS says: The Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service on Local Computer started and the stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs.

Computer browser states that "The specified service does not exist as an installed service.

From what I can tell, the ICS service seems to be the humdinger, the one that really needs to start. Any idea on how to repair/reinstall these services? Attached is the BFE reg file you requested, only resaved as a .txt

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 04:43:36 pm »
Looks like that virus helped it self to more services.

I am also on Win 7 64 bit. I could get the reg keys off my system for those.

Heading off to the in laws for dinner. When I get back I can get them for you.

Give me  a list of services you want the reg keys for and I will export them off my system :wink:

Shane

Offline Allen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 04:54:10 pm »
Awesome, thanks a lot man, I really appreciate it, this comp problem is taking the zest right out of me, it would just be simpler to reformat, but I've just got too much stuff to back up with limited resources for backing up lol. I'm hoping that just simply importing/installing the reg files should do the trick.

I'm thinking I'm going to need the Internet Connection Sharing service reg file, as well as the Computer Browser reg file. There are other services that I think the virus enjoyed that are set to automatic but won't start, but I don't think that they're related to Network discovery.

I really appreciate the assistance, thank you very much!

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 07:41:41 pm »
You could always try a repair install as well :wink:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

Here are the 2 services. I removed any keys that are meant for my system only. That way no problems should happen.

Also shared access service (The internet connection sharing) depends on WMI. Make sure you ran my WMI repair tool :wink:

Shane

Offline Allen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 03:13:57 pm »
Ok, so I'm totally screwed now. Before your last post, I decided to install and run Microsoft Security Essentials. After taking 3 hours to run, it found many problems and the system needed to be rebooted......
Now, windows won't even load. On boot up, System repair loads and tries to find out what's wrong with the system. It ends up not being able to find a solution, and therefore, Windows will not load. I've got no windows OS cd that came with the computer and I am at a complete loss on what to do. There are options for backing up important information to USB drives (which I have no external hard drives), and possibly the ability to restore the computer to factory settings, but I'm assuming that this would delete all of my files, and I just can't allow that to happen (I've got many pictures of my new born child on that computer that I just can't afford to lose).

Sorry to drop this bombshell on you, but do you have any advise? I can't live without that computer, I run my business off of it. Do you know of any windows repair bootdiscs that I could try or anything? My wife is going to kill me.....

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 03:23:33 pm »
No worries. I run a computer repair business so I run into this alot. Your files will be fine. But let this be a listen to keep backups :wink:

First off are you able to boot into safe mode by any chance?

Shane

Offline Allen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 03:33:53 pm »
Thank you so much man, I'm seriously freaking out here (to the point of feeling physically ill lol). I can't seem to boot into safe mode, when starting the comp, first thing that pops up is the Dell boot screen (allowing one to click f2 for setup or f12 for bios), then it goes to the Windows loading screen, and appears to try and load. Then a beeping noise comes from the laptop, and it goes to a black screen. Then the screen pops up for if I'd like to run system repair or try to run windows normally. If I click to try to run windows normally, it just repeats the same process until it goes back to that same screen.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 03:43:54 pm »
Next time choose start windows normally. As soon as you hit enter start hitting the F8 key. This should bring up the boot menu for Windows.

From there see if you can get into safe mode.

Your system is blue screening and it is set to auto reboot. If we are lucky we can get into safe mode and get it fixed. If not then we will work on hunting down a Windows 7 disk. From there we can either do a repair reinstall or a normal install. When and if we do a normal reinstall the trick is to NOT format the drive. Windows will say there is already a version of windows on here. When you continue it will move all your old files to Windows.old folder. There your old profile, with all your pictures will be waiting.

SO no matter what you will be fine. just make sure to not format anything!

First lets see if we can avoid the reinstall. Try safe mode :wink:

Shane

Offline friedmonky

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 03:47:00 pm »
Kharv, DO NOT restore the computer to factory settings using that built-in restore option - this WILL delete all of your files. 

Offline friedmonky

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 03:50:42 pm »
I don't want to confuse things and, sorry Shane for butting in.  However, the first thing I would try is the "Last known good configuration" option on the f8 screen.  Might save alot of headache if it works.  I'll keep quiet now.  :cheesy:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 03:52:40 pm by friedmonky »

Offline Allen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, 03:55:34 pm »
Ok, so after pushing F8, it leads me to a screen with several options. These are in order: Repair your computer, Safe Mode, Safe Mode with networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Enable Boot Logging, Enable low-resolution video (640x480), Last Known Good Configuration (advanced), Directory Services Restore Mode, Debugging mode, Disable automatic restart on system failure, Disable driver signature enforcement, Start Windows Normally.

Sorry for the long list, figured it'd be best to paint the picture best I can so you know just what I'm seeing. After clicking Safe Mode, it shows Loading Windows Files, and scrolls down the list of files loaded. Then in turns to a black screen, goes to the dell load screen, and then back to the Windows Error Recovery screen (asking to launch startup repair or start windows normally).

I have to say I at least expected it to start in safe mode. Should I try one of the other options?

And just to reiterate, thank you so much, honestly.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2011, 03:58:34 pm »
Try Last Known Good Configuration (advanced) next.

If that fails then it is time we start hunting down a windows disk. We should be able to find one off the net. Only reason I say this is that you own Windows 7. Your not looking for a hacked copy. Just a simply copy of the install disk so you can get it working. And for you to keep in case this happens again.

Also like friedmonky said. A factory reset is the worse thing you can do.

So lets go from here :-)

Shane

Offline Allen

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2011, 04:05:00 pm »
K, just tried Last known good configuration, twice, with the same result. Man, I did not expect that running a microsoft security product would land me in such hot water. This is just dreadful. Is there a way to find a windows 7 copy online? When we bought the computer, it came with no windows disc (which was odd to me). My wife claims that we "had the opportunity to download the disc", but that we never did (I don't recall this opportunity at all....)

Offline Allen

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2011, 04:08:38 pm »
Oh, and the reason as to why I'm still able to access this site, I'm using my old desktop. It features a lovely 2.7 ghz hard drive with a whole half gig of memory! Circa 2003 I believe.....and it's in just as bad if not worse condition than my non-functioning laptop, but is equipped with a DVD burner, so if we're able to get a disc, I shouldn't have a problem burning it.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2011, 04:12:02 pm »
The disc options that come with store bought machines put the machine back to default. So you didn't want them to begin with.

We will need to look at p2p torrents to get you a disk. Again we dont want a hacked copy. Just a standard Windows 7 disk.

Do you need 32 or 64 bit?

email me shane @

and I will see if I can find something for you to download. Google will be our friend here. But I can find a safe non hacked install disk for you. When you install with it just use the key on the sticker that came with the computer :wink:

Shane

Offline Allen

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2011, 04:20:08 pm »
I sent an email via the email option underneath your name, I'm assuming this is what you intended. And it's a 64 bit. My fingers are so crossed, I believe my knuckles may have permanent damage, lol

Offline friedmonky

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2011, 04:20:29 pm »
I don't think your problem was directly caused by Security Essentials.  Your computer was very infected - evident by the numerous things that you said Security Essentials found when you ran it.  The numerous infections is what caused this whole thing.  There were probably some infected system files that needed to be cleaned or deleted - hence Security Essentials wanting to reboot the computer.  If system files are infected and cannot be cleaned, they are deleted.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2011, 04:22:17 pm »
I emailed you back. Post back when you have the iso burned to a disk and I will tell you what to do next.

Also for a free AV I use Avast myself. Has a far faster scanner than MS and I found it to do well. Besides there is no perfect antivirus :-)

Talk to you soon. Good luck

Shane

Offline Allen

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2011, 04:25:54 pm »
K, thanks bunches, I will be downloading the iso right now. Is there any specific way that I need to burn this iso (I vaguely remember having to burn iso's uniquely), or can I just straight copy the file to the disc and burn?

Oh, btw, my wife says she wants to hug you lol

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2011, 04:47:22 pm »
An ISO is a disk image. Use this to burn the image :wink:

http://www.imgburn.com/

Oh, btw, my wife says she wants to hug you lol

How about you hug her for me :-)

Shane

Offline Allen

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2011, 05:41:48 pm »
K, got it downloaded, just going to install imgburn and burn the disc. Fingers still crossed.....I feel like I'm on borrowed time with this old desktop, kind of just feels like it could crap out at any second lol

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2011, 05:52:34 pm »
OK here is what you will do.

1. Boot off of the windows 7 disk.
2. When it comes ups you will choose install.
3. Then it will come up and ask if you want to do an upgrade or custom. Choose custom.
4. You should see your hard drive, it will be in multiple parts. Choose the biggest one, should be the one windows is already installed on (DO NOT delete or format anything)
5. Windows will tell you windows is already there, hit ok. Windows setup will move all the old data to a folder on C:\ called Windows.old

Once you have everything done you will have a fresh, clean install of windows. All your old data is there for you to copy over. (Everything but the programs)
If you need network drivers after the setup just download them on your laptop and put them on a thumb drive.

During the setup windows will ask you which version. Choose the one your sticker on your case shows. You should see a multicolored sticker that says windows 7 on it.

Good luck :-)

Shane

Offline Allen

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2011, 06:31:01 pm »
Ok, so I've burnt the disc and booted via the dvd-rom. Now, I'm choosing which version of Windows to install. I don't have that multi-colored sticker on my laptop stating which version of windows it is, but I'm pretty sure that it was either Windows 7 Basic or Windows 7 Premium. Is it going to make a big difference if I choose the wrong one?