Author Topic: Files on desktop have been deleted  (Read 5110 times)

Offline xavstarblues

• View Profile
Files on desktop have been deleted
« on: December 01, 2019, 12:47:19 am »
Hello,
I'm running into a strange problem after using Windows Repair AIO.

After i runned the program, computer won't start (but that is not really the issue, as i can reinstall it) however, the files that were on the desktop are gone, and i can't find them anywhere, i can see that the date of the "Desktop" folder is consistent with the running of windows repair aio.
So i guess it did something. maybe there was some symlink with onedrive or similar (did not find anything about it) and not really sure has it is not my computer.
So, my questions, where do i find the logs of windows repair aio to know exactly what happened and try to find some information about what happened?

Thanks

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Files on desktop have been deleted
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 01:19:27 am »
The quickest way to get to the Log is to open the repair program, click on Settings and then Log Location - Open Log Folder.

The route is Start - This PC - Windows C: - ProgramFiles(x86) -Tweaking.com - Windows Repair (All in One) - Logs

However, before you do that, open the repair program and click on Backup Tools - Restore under Registry Backup - Registry Restore then use the dropdown to select the dated back up then click on Restore Now and then see if your desktop files return.

What was the original reason why you ran the repair program ?

Offline xavstarblues

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 01:31:30 am »
Hello, thanks for the reply.

I've checked those logs and they are not really helpfull, and pretty much empty (considering the amount of data being treated)

Since the computer/windows would not restart (looping into recovery), i've tried to replay the registry backup from the command line of windows recover fonction, but without results, but i can try to dig in the reg file.

The original reason for me to run the tool was that there was an error message in loop when user opened his session, along the lines of "explorer.exe the system has detected a buffer overun ... " (sorry error was not in english) with explorer crashing/restarting/crashing in an infinite loop.
Only way to go was to boot into safe mode, where the message would be displayed and then not quit the message box allowing me to try some stuff.
chkdsk
sfc/scannow
adwcleaner
Antivirus program
no software returned anything interesting, hence the decision to run windows repair AIO, as i used previously several times.

Worth noting, that i had a similar problem 4/5 years ago, but since the computer restarted properly and that i had an external backup of the files, i did not look into it.

Xavier

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 02:18:20 am »
A search on that error hasn't found anything worthwhile but the missing desktop files could be related to the explorer.exe problem or the Icon repair in the program.

The program's Registry Restore may resolve that but this article looks useful to help - https://www.easeus.com/file-recovery/how-to-restore-missing-desktop-icons-and-files-in-windows-10.html

I think EaseUS is a free program.

You could also right click on the taskbar and select Task Manager then under Processes scroll down to Windows Explorer - click on it then on Restart and see if there is any improvement on your explorer.exe error message.

Offline xavstarblues

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2019, 02:27:19 am »
i do think there is something indeed related, probably the icon repair as the directory are now dated from the date of the run.
No problem with documents/images though.

Will give Easeus a try, already tried Recuva but without any interesting results.

Considering the explorer.exe issue, i'll just reinstall the whole system.
Quicker to do that.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 02:49:33 am »
Have you tried the program's Registry Restore utility yet ?

Offline xavstarblues

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2019, 03:44:39 am »
Hello, if i am not mistaken, you assume the computer/windows is starting which is not the case...

I've tried running the .cmd from the reg folder at the root of C:\ via cmd line from restoration console, but without success.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2019, 04:02:12 am »
So how were you going to give EaseUS a go ?

I assume you have tried Startup Repair from the Recovery Environment ?

At the cmd prompt enter bcdedit |find "osdevice"

For clarity that is a Pipe symbol before find and is the uppercase of \

Then using your partition letter instead of the X I have exampled, enter this cmd -

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=X:\ /offwindir=X:\Windows

Offline xavstarblues

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2019, 04:23:15 am »
Hello,

For EaseUs, by removing the nvme and plugging it through an adapter to another working computer.
it give me some stuff, but not what i want (was able to find a few examples files that were on the "Desktop" or whatever symlink it was through the Recent items list) and if i try to bulk backup everything it stops after a few mb of data and ask me to pay.

I've tried the repair and the bcdedit it detect the drive correctly and the os too.
Will try the sfc /scannow with those options.

However, i'm starting to wonder if the ssd is in good condition.
Lost for lost (don't really care, as the important data are backuped through dropbox and i double backuped everything after the fail of the repairs, should i've done that before i know), i've tried to use the hp restore features and it fails. Also i've tried to use the "restore point" or whatever it is called in english and it does not find a backup, even if i did make it for sure through Windows Repair AIO.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2019, 04:36:05 am »
The Windows Repair program while saying it has created a restore point - it has been found that it doesn't physically create one.

I've passed this onto Shane but haven't had any feedback on it yet.

What did Startup Repair report ?

It's advocated that is run up to 3 times.

I thought you had already tried a chkdsk ?

At the cmd prompt using your partition letter instead of the x I have exampled, enter chkdsk x: /r

As you are in the Recovery Environment, there will be no need for a reboot to dismount the volume and you'll see the full report on the screen.

However, if there is anything wrong with the SSD then it's unlikely the sfc /scannow would complete.

Offline xavstarblues

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2019, 04:49:12 am »
well, i did a chkdsk /f /r c: , nothing out of the ordinary, same for the sfc/scannow

I've run startup repair multiple times, it stated that there was an error and it could not repair.

Anyway, since the user needs his computer, i've decided to stop wasting more time and reinstalled windows, we'll see wether or not the problem happens again.

Thanks for your help

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2019, 04:55:29 am »
Okay - Occasionally not being able to boot up after running the repair program occurs and the only solution usually is a clean install.

I'll pass this onto Shane with a link to your thread.