Author Topic: repairing windows update corrupted system  (Read 4053 times)

Offline empleat

• View Profile
repairing windows update corrupted system
« on: January 18, 2020, 02:27:03 pm »
I used this tool and it actually helped me a lot of times to fix broken things, that are nearly impossible to google and repair. Without reinstalling. Lately i had problem with windows update, couldn't turn on update service for some reason. I just repaired pc and i had no corruption. So i run windows tweaking tool to repair windows update and it worked. Strange update wasn't working, after repair btw. And sfc /scannow found corruption, unable to repair it, even dism... I checked cbs log and it was related to windows update components. So it was probably this program, what corrupted it. I don't have any serious issues, i just don't like having corrupted system, because it can lead to various issues, which are hard to track and it can be caused by that.

So i ask again. Is this program safe to use ?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: repairing windows update corrupted system
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 03:16:00 pm »
I create a system image before test running the repair program so I can restore should things go awry.

These cmds run from a Command Prompt (Admin) can resolve most Win 10 problems - (I assume you are using Win 10 ?)

dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

(That one cleans up the WinSxS folder of obsolete updates which can cause update problems, but because it can remove GBs of data, it may be worth checking to see if the HDD would benefit from a defrag if applicable).

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

shutdown /r /t /00

That one effects an immediate reboot but there are also the following cmds which will reset the update components and which you can copy & paste en bloc to the cmd prompt where they'll auto run, except perhaps for the last one where you may need to press enter.

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

The SoftwareDistribution.old cmd removes your update history but does not affect installed updates, but if you've already run the Update repair in the program, then that history has already been removed.

Windows also has its own update troubleshooter.

Offline empleat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 04:33:37 am »
Thanks, now it says it didn't find any violations.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 08:41:21 am »
The dism /startcomponentcleanup cmd followed by the /restorehealth cmd may have cleared the update problem and helped to produce the clean sfc /scannow result.