Author Topic: Unsuccessful repairs to Windows 10 after updating from Windows 7  (Read 3522 times)

Offline tks95747

• View Profile
I recently upgraded my Windows 7 to Windows 10. Not long afterwards, I began getting no response from a number of system commands, such as, command prompt, task manager, uninstall programs, troubleshooters, Windows update, etc. I can boot into safe mode and execute all of these just fine, only not after a regular boot. I ran your program and at the end pressed the "Start Repairs" button and it just times out after four tries. I was in Safe Mode W/Networking when I tried to run the repairs.

Any ideas?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Unsuccessful repairs to Windows 10 after updating from Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 05:56:01 am »
The fact that you can access these utilities in Safe Mode would suggest the problem is caused by something you have installed on your computer.

I don't think it is caused by your antivirus program if using a 3rd party one, but can you let me know which one you use.

To determine if it is caused by something you have installed, right click on the taskbar and select Task Manager.

You may have to do this initially in Safe Mode.

To view all of the menu in Task Manager, click on More details bottom left then click on Start-up - then on each item then on Disable.

Click on File/Exit and reboot.

Hopefully you will now be able to access those utilities.

If that is the case, then go back into Task Manager and enable one item at a time and reboot to see when the problem reoccurs.

When it does, go back into Task Manager, disable it and continue re-enabling each item and rebooting to check if the problem persists or no longer occurs.

The only item I have enabled in my Task Manager is the Realtek Audio items and Windows Security Notifications, so you could leave most items disabled which can improve performance, but let me know how you get on and if you find an item that is the cause.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 06:00:29 am by Boggin »

Offline tks95747

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 07:56:58 pm »
Hi again,

I did the disable all startup programs in task manager and rebooted. I still have the same problem. The repairs still timeout 4 times before telling me to try in safe mode (which I am already in, of course)..  Stumped...

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 06:26:47 am »
Are you saying you still can't access Command Prompt etc as well ?

In Safe Mode with Networking - you will need to Ethernet connect - open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter these cmds -

dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

exit

Then reboot into normal mode to see if you can now use those utilities.

If you still can't, then I think it would be best to reinstall Win 10.

How did you upgrade to Win 10 ?

Normally I would advise a repair install which doesn't affect personal stuff or installed programs, but with not knowing what is causing the problem that only affects normal mode, then a clean install would probably be the best way to go.

Back up your personal stuff but you will need to reinstall your programs.

If you need to perform a clean install, then try those utilities before you install anything to eliminate a bad install.