Author Topic: Windows Repair solved a problem but now the Store won't open (Win 1903)  (Read 4831 times)

Offline OhForAWorkingWindows

• View Profile
Hello!

Edge would close as soon as opened and when I tried to install a 'feature' update I got locked into a temporary account. So: I used your Windows Repair, in Safe Mode, to fix file and registry permissions. Now Edge opens. (Goodness, though, that Microsoft continues to deeply embed a browser in the OS, despite the EU ruling and despite the problems caused when the program goes wrong!) However: now the 'Store' does not open, though, pre-repair, it did. I do not really care about the Store itself - and I have only a 'local account' - but the problem makes me think the next OS update, which I'll have to have at some point, will fail. (I have not tried that update - the feature update - since doing the repair.)

I suspect the Store problem is (itself) a permissions one. Any advice? Thanks.

Things I've tried to no avail: 'reset'ing the Store; a Powershell command to (I think) 're-register' Store components.

My level of knowledge: semi-advanced amateur (who is better on Linux, where things are easier to fix!).

EDIT: ah, steps 1-5 (inclusive) of this* seem to fix the Store problem! Perhaps you should incorporate those steps into your app (or, if they're in there already, something went wrong).

* Here is the link (for I can't see how to insert it into the post - do you use some sort of markdown? if so, what?): https://www.techtantri.com/windows-10-apps-not-working-download-apps-folder/
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 04:46:13 pm by OhForAWorkingWindows »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
That looks like an in depth article but there may be an easier way of doing things.

Scroll down to the bottom of this article to use the Hack to add Take Ownership to your right click context menu -

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/

An easier way of resolving this Win 10 problem could be to perform a repair install which doesn't affect your personal stuff of installed programs.

To do this you will need to create Win 10 install media after reading - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

When you've done that, open Windows/File Explorer - This PC - insert the install media and double click on its drive.

This will start the process when using a DVD but will open to its files when using an USB where you would then double click on setup.exe Application.

This can take 3 - 4hrs.

Offline OhForAWorkingWindows

• View Profile
Thank you for your reply. However . .

1) I think you mean that there is an easier way of performing part of what those steps 1-3 accomplish. If that is what you mean: yes, I used a shortcut, in the form of a 'take ownership' context menu, for that.

2) I found that a repair install was offered only if I created an ISO. The other version of bootable media didn't offer it (and neither was it offered within Windows). This was a typical and grim Windows 'gotcha'.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Well you need Win 10 install media to perform a repair install but see if these cmds will resolve which will be quicker if they do.

Open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter these cmds -

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

Enter exit to close the cmd window and reboot then check the Store, otherwise you will need to create the install media and perform the repair install.

You can perform a Reset from within Windows advanced options but while you can retain your personal stuff, you would need to reinstall all of your programs.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 05:20:02 am by Boggin »