Author Topic: Windows Repair needs to tell user more during registry fixes  (Read 3663 times)

Offline OhForAWorkingWindows

• View Profile
Windows Repair needs to tell user more during registry fixes
« on: April 07, 2020, 07:12:35 pm »
Windows Repair 4.7.2 is fixing my Windows 10 registry at present. Or I hope it is. It tells me I can use CPU usage to tell whether it is carrying out the operation I requested. Well, there is CPU activity, between 1 and 30 and at one point 70%; but I came to think that it was other programs that were responsible. Your program does have a log window, but (1) it's blank initially (one has to think of looking in the drop-down), (2) the log for my operation just announces that it has started and does not even tell me whether I should see more once the operation is underway.

Admittedly I am not in Safe Mode but that is because in Safe Mode the CPU usage was very low (0.3%) and so I thought - rightly, it seems - that the repair was not working.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Repair needs to tell user more during registry fixes
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 08:36:00 am »
One of the panes will also tell you which repair is running, but you are correct, that is a very low CPU usage for the repairs.

I don't have an explanation for that because in that mode there should be minimal other services running.

Can you try the repair program again in Safe Mode with Networking to see if there is any change ?

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 11:01:08 am »
Thanks for the reply.

'One of the panes will also tell you which repair is running': my point about that was as follows. It does not show any progress *within a repair*.

'Can you try the repair program again in Safe Mode with Networking to see if there is any change?': thanks, but I managed by other means to fix things. The most serious, underlying problem with the repair program is, I believe, the following. Due to borkedness of my system - which is exactly what the program is meant to handle - some registry keys were readable only as administrator and this meant that some of the repairs, and/or the 'pre-repair operations' - hung. But also, and as I have been saying: progress within repairs needs always to be shown somewhere; the CPU usage indicator does not suffice for that because the usage could owe to other processes.

It seems to me that these are all problems that need fixing. And if the program does not get improved via feedback such as this, then how does it get improved?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 11:22:59 am »
I've test run the program in the past without any problems, but there are parts of the program where I've seen Access Denied, but it was too quick for me to see what those were.

When there are problems with the program, then generally there is an underlying cause on the machine.

On the rare occasions when I've had Win 10 problems, I'll perform a repair install which doesn't affect personal stuff or installed programs.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 11:28:00 am »
Dear Tom / Boggin

We seem to be talking past each other. You've test run the program without (many) problems? That doesn't mean there won't be problems in particular circumstances. I said what I think one of those problems is. As to a repair install: yes, that's an option, but it is not the only option - if it were, the tweaking.com repair program would not exist. I can't see a reason, except perhaps for the effort involved, to not make that program better at its job - in the ways I've suggested.

Are you one of the developers of the program? They are the people who need to hear what I'm saying.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 03:16:02 pm »
Depending upon what is wrong with Win 10 I've found that the following cmds can prove useful.

Open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter these cmds -

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

Enter exit to close the cmd window.

There is a variation of that dism cmd which is run after booting up with Win 10 install media, navigating to the Install screen and selecting Repair your computer.

Click on Troubleshoot/Advanced options and select Command Prompt and enter these cmds -

bcdedit |find "osdevice"

and use that partition letter instead of the x I have exampled.

For clarity that is a Pipe symbol before find and is the uppercase of \

dism /image:x:\ /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=X:\ /offwindir=X:\Windows

again, enter exit to close the cmd window.

Note the space before each /

I am not the author of the repair program - Shane Croft is but I'm having difficulty in contacting him via email.

I don't know if this is because of the Coronavirus or if he's too busy because of his computer repair business.

Occasionally people do post on the forum with problems with the repair program, but they are few.