Author Topic: Problem with registry backup.  (Read 3732 times)

Offline Lineman64

• View Profile
Problem with registry backup.
« on: August 22, 2020, 04:15:19 pm »
Today I ran into a problem and wanted to do a registry restore with tweaking registry backup. After selecting date & time, I get this message:

Computer name info doesn't match the backup. Do you want to continue.  "Very Dangerous!"

However, on the top part of the program header all info is correct. GARY-PC (Windows 10 Home (64-bit 10.0.1941. Version 2004.

The last I remember using it was back when I had Windows 7 and it did work back then. I manually do a restore point twice a week and works creating a restore with date and time.

So I did delete the program and did a fresh install with the same problem. I did notice that the program has the same version, v3.5.3. So that is why I am here to find what the problem may be.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with registry backup.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 03:34:07 am »
The version of the Registry Backup program remains the same regardless of the updated repair program.

I used the registry backup and restored from it on my Win 10 which worked fine.

I then used the program to create a restore point which it said it had but on checking System Protection, I found it hadn't physically created one.

However,, should it have been saved within the program, I used the program to select restore from it and got the same as I did in System Protection.

I don't think it has ever physically created a restore point on my Win 10 and there has been at least one other complaint on the forum about this.

I have reported this to Shane but never got anything back on it.

Because of this I can't assimilate what you are getting.

Prior to running the repairs, I always advocate creating a  system image onto external media rather than relying upon the program actually creating a restore point.

I'll pass your complaint onto Shane with a link to your thread but I'm not sure when/if I'll get a reply.

Offline Lineman64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 08:46:07 am »
Boggin- After reading your response, I am having mixed thoughts. When you said using the registry backup and restored from it on your Windows 10 which worked fine. Was that the system restore built into Win 10 or v3.5.3?

I am now thinking there is a correlation between the two?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 09:12:27 am »
I used both options in the repair program - the Registry Backup (Recommended) and then the System Restore (Optional).

It was the Registry Backup/Restore that worked fine but it didn't physically create a restore point as you would find in System Protection even though it said it had.

Does that clarify things for you ?

Offline Lineman64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 06:18:06 pm »
O.K-Got it. After some searching, I have found that registry back up in Win 10 automatically creates a restore point when there is a change made there. Must be turned on. "Off by default".

When there is a serious problem, it reverts to blue screen safe mode giving you a few options for recovery. One being to go to a good known time point to repair the registry. Before this, I did not know.

Thanks for your help and time.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2020, 01:24:00 am »
Okay - I'm still waiting for a reply from Shane though.