Author Topic: Windows Repair: Still stuck while registering files  (Read 8873 times)

Offline madhouserevival

• View Profile
Windows Repair: Still stuck while registering files
« on: September 28, 2020, 07:44:12 pm »
Too many things distracted me since your last reply (bad health, bad car wreck), Boggins, and I could not reply for some reason today so forced to create a new topic. As you suggested I ran the following:

dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Weird how SFC did not find errors BEFORE running those but did afterward. Anyway I am on the most recent version of Windows 10 vers 508 (far as I know, slap me if I'm wrong). The repair program just isn't able to register files no matter how much time passes.

I did notice that Windows 10 is preventing me from changing several registry settings and I was forced to change ownership from system to "Smorgydorg-PC\Administrators" in order to change them. These were just internet settings. Maybe Windows 10 is refusing Windows Repair from changing things do to some "ownership" issue with the registry or other part of the system?  At your convenience, let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Repair: Still stuck while registering files
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 01:24:08 am »
Sorry to hear about the problems you've had.

I've test run WR v4.9.5 on my Win 10 and it completed fine so I'm not really sure why yours is sticking.

Can you reboot a couple of times then use the program to boot into Safe Mode with Networking and try again.

Do you have an Internet connection while in that mode because Win 10 disables wireless in that mode so you usually have to Ethernet connect, although you can manually reconnect to your WiFi.

Did the SFC fix all corruption it had found ?

Which Internet settings were you trying to change that Windows blocked you ?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 01:26:54 am by Boggin, Reason: Typo »

Offline madhouserevival

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 02:39:10 am »
On the same version of WR. Did all that many times :) SFC fixed the corruptions after running the dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth you suggested but not before. I have so much stuff installed I hate the to even think of refreshing the whole system. I've tried various backup programs that are supposed to preserve software settings but none of them are reliable.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 03:03:44 am »
I suppose you could try a repair install which doesn't affect personal stuff or installed programs but you would need Win 10 install media to perform that.

If you don't have Win 10 install media you can create it after scrolling down the page and reading - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

It defaults to creating a bootable USB and I've found it's best to insert the USB before downloading the MCT.

When you've done that and with the USB or DVD inserted, open Windows/File Explorer - This PC and double click on its drive.

This will start the process if using a DVD but will open to its files when using an USB where you would then double click on setup Application.

I think this took about 4hrs on mine.

You can add Take Ownership to the right click context so that right clicking on any file, you can select Take Ownership.

Download the batch file in this article - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3841-add-take-ownership-context-menu-windows-10-a.html

Offline madhouserevival

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 07:51:03 am »
I'll give that a try. Thank you for being so helpful.  :teeth:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 02:01:14 pm »
Try the repair program after the repair install and let me know how you get on.

Offline danseguin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2020, 04:28:46 am »
I'm encountering the exact issue as the creator of this thread. If tried the dism's, sfc's, permission fixes, refresh reinstalls, and numerous other potential fixes, all without success.

Was there any change to this module recently? Is it possible to get an earlier version of WR to see if it has the same issue?

Is there a debug mode for the program (i.e. print verbose status info so I can see where it's failing)? If not, can you please review the commands and files I would need to replicate the functionality of the module at the command line (or batch file).

Is there any additional insight either of you may be able to provide on this issue?

Thanks in advance.

// danseguin

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2020, 08:22:43 am »
All I can suggest for now is to perform a repair install as I have for the OP, but I've passed this on to Shane.

Offline danseguin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2020, 02:42:40 pm »
Already had performed. Thanks.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2020, 02:45:26 pm »
I'll just have to wait until Shane gets back to me.

Offline madhouserevival

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2020, 06:00:03 pm »
Well, ran a repair install (TWICE) and the issue still exists. Doesn't have any issues in Windows 7 though. Something funky in Windows 10. Side note: I upgraded to Window 10 from a previous solid working Windows 7 installation just so I could use G-sync and Freesync in games. MS went out of its way to block Windows 7 from having full compatibility with newer drivers (Source: Nvidia staff!)

Windows 10 has produced the weirdest behavior I have ever seen. My keyboard keeps disconnecting (been happening ever since I upgraded to Windows this year). Frequently clicking a windows link or folder doesn't open things but opens a menu of some sort. If I click on a tab in any browser, instead of switching to that tab it duplicates the tab. Thought it was my K/M drivers so uninstalled and reinstalled them but, nope, it's Windows ten being funky with peripherals. Read somewhere a while back that mouse and onscreen keyboard in accessibility settings can cause this, but I've disabled all of that junk.

I so don't want to start over from scratch. It would take several days to get back the software and games I have installed with their original settings.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2020, 01:59:58 am »
Does Event Viewer have anything recorded for those events ?

Offline madhouserevival

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2020, 04:29:35 am »
You know, it would be great to be able to do that but  I am terrible at sorting stuff in the event viewer. So if the mouse clicking misbehaves (opening menus, moving whole folders, running software randomly when I try and simply click something), where exactly should I look in the event viewer? Thanks.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2020, 05:32:50 am »
When you open Event Viewer ensure Event Viewer (Local) is highlighted in the left pane - if it isn't then just click on it.

When it has read the data click on Error then on View All Instances of This Event in the lower right pane as in my pic.

These are date and time stamped, so look for obvious ones or those that coincide with the keyboard/mouse problem.

Sometimes Win 10 installs drivers that may not be compatible with your devices.

It did it to my Realtek wireless driver when I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 in 2016.

It installed a driver dated 31 March 2016.

I forget why I checked it out on a program called inSSIDer3 but it was producing a graph like a broken saw blade.

Device Manager is where I found that dated driver so I clicked on Update driver - Browse my computer - Let me pick and reinstalled a Win 7 one which produces a smoother graph.

When I installed the Win 10 2004 update I didn't have a wireless connection so checking Device Manager I found that the update had reinstalled the 2016 driver again, so I had to reinstall my Win 7 one again.

I don't know if you are using a laptop or desktop PC and if so, whether you are using a plugged in or wireless keyboard and/or mouse.

Go to your computer support site to see if you can reinstall any Win 7 drivers to see if that stabilises things.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2020, 05:50:08 am »
Win 10 has its own trouble shooting section which is accessed by clicking on the Windows icon then on the Settings cog.

Click on Update & Security where you'll see Troubleshoot in the left pane.

You may need to click on Additional Troubleshooters to see the full list which includes one for Keyboard settings.

Offline madhouserevival

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2020, 05:51:19 pm »
Next time it happens I'll reboot my pc and go straight there. Edit: just happened again but then went away a minute later. Keyboard wouldn't respond, left clicking things, instead of selecting, would open a folder or something. I immediately checked the event viewer and there were zero errors or warning during the time that this happened. Thanks!

After removing and reinstalling my keyboard Windows suddenly shows more than twice the keyboard devices it had before uninstalling!

I keep setting Windows to never check for drivers but it just reverts back randomly (kind of like when the ninja install software I didn't approve of). They keep changing my default sound over and over and over. What a trash OS yet it's getting to the point where you have to have it to do certain things.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 10:29:45 pm by madhouserevival »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2020, 02:47:58 am »
Providing your mouse is working you can right click on each of those and select Uninstall then click on Action/Scan for hardware changes where it will reinstall your keyboard.

You should only have one device come up.

Offline madhouserevival

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2020, 07:36:37 am »
That's what I did when I uninstalled them. From what I could find on Google it's normal for Windows 10 to display multiples due to some programming in the hardware. My keyboard is lighted and has some special functions, but doesn't depend on any software. That's all I can think of. I should check to see what comes up in the device manager in Windows 7 when I get around to it. Though I can say with absolute certainty I have never experienced the same wonky behavior in Windows 7. MS needs to hire some actual pc programmers instead of mobile phone geeks to work on their stupid OS.  :undecided:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2020, 08:21:08 am »
I've only ever used laptops and other than that wireless driver, I've never had any problems with Win 10.

Offline madhouserevival

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2020, 07:26:55 pm »
Think I found the source of the issue with mouse misbehaving and the keyboard disconnecting. Last night on several occasions the problem occurred and I decided to at least TRY to record the issue via Shadowplay  (a feature of Geforce Experience) while it was happening (the shortcut is ctrl+alt+F9). Well, as soon as I hit the key combo to start the recording the behavior became normal again! Every single time. Windows 10 FORCES us to use Versions 3 and later of Geforce Experience in order to use Shadowplay now; it won't even allow the inclusion of Shadowplay or Freestyle Filters (which fixes graphical issues in some games) in V2 or older versions of Geforce Experience in Windows 10. So I am stuck using versions 3 even though it's interfering with my M/K. I'm between a rock and a hard place because whenever it happens I have to start a recording a video then stop it again. How intuitive!

Unfortunately, no one ever gets a response directly from Nvidia on their "support" forums and I got flamed by other users just for reporting another issue I had proof of (Fixed it since). Now I can't even START a new thread there. What a wonderful world!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2020, 03:50:43 am »
Are you sure it was other users that flamed you and not Nvidia.

Is it viable for you to change the graphics card to a different make ?

Offline madhouserevival

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2020, 04:50:40 pm »
That would be a HELL NO!  :tongue: I tried /AMDATI GPUs multiple times since the late 90's up until a couple years ago and their support software and drivers are absolutely horrible. Nvidia has the best drivers and they actually keep them up to date even for older cards unlike AMD. There are a lot of horrible people on forums, especially gaming and graphic forums.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2020, 01:15:37 am »
So do you have to manually check for updates for the Nvidia GPU or are they automatic ?

I must admit that in searching Google for GPUs that Nvidia were very prominent, so they do have a high rep.

Offline madhouserevival

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2020, 08:39:00 am »
Manually. They've had some REALLY bad drivers since 445.87. I kept having to go back to that version to fix things. I am just puzzled as to why their Geforce Experience software is causing issues with my keyboard and mouse. If it wasn't for their Freestyle filters I wouldn't bother installing it but those filters fix graphic fidelity in many games that cannot be achieved otherwise.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2020, 02:38:40 pm »
I think there were compatibility problems with Nvidia when Win 10 first came out.

Perhaps there's still some compatibility problems now, but with peripherals rather than Win 10.

It's a pity you can't take this up with Nvidia.