Author Topic: Some programs are crashing on Windows 10 - Solved  (Read 5651 times)

JohnCoool

Some programs are crashing on Windows 10 - Solved
« on: October 17, 2020, 04:02:01 am »
I have several media players and some of them work normally. I recently reinstalled 2 more which used to work fine before I upgraded to Windows 10 but now just crash without playing the video at all.

Divx player crashes as soon as it opens and shows the program stopped working error and then closes. https://www.divx.com/en/software/divx/

KMplayer open but does the same thing when trying to play any video. http://en.kmplayer.com/

I updated the O/S to the latest in all available hoping it would solve it but it did not. No corrupted files showing with SFC /Verifyonly.

Event viewer shows that the programs have crashed but does not give enough details to trace it back to the source. I tried running the programs in compatibility with other versions of the Windows and as an administrator but all have failed.

Is there a way to find the issue that is causing this to fix it?

I am not looking for alternatives. I just want to know about these two and why would they crash?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 03:55:06 am by JohnCoool »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Some programs are crashing on Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 09:41:48 am »
Do you have the latest versions for each program ?

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/17-divx-player-for-windows.html

https://www.filehorse.com/download-kmplayer-64x/

Which antivirus program are you using ?

Generally when a program crashes it can be because of an AV program or something else you may have installed.

See if either work in Safe Mode with Networking or in a clean boot.

I've just had an invite which I've taken to uninstall Adobe Flashplayer because support is ending for it on 31st December.

Can you post the Event Viewer logs for each crash.

When you select each, click on Copy/Copy details as text in the lower right pane then right click in the reply box and select Paste.

I may not be able to trace the source from those either, but it could give me a starting point.

JohnCoool

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 12:15:38 pm »
Yes they are both the latest version.

After using your tips I noticed that it worked in Safemode but not in clean boot.

So I disabled the Video card driver and they worked fine and stopped working after I enabled it again.

I used Change DirectX in the past to run games that did not work work on the the device because the Video card is weak and it would bypass it and use only software accelerator only.

I will try to use it here too and see if it works.

Please let me know if you have other tips.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 02:20:33 pm »
So it looks like it's a hardware problem.

I assume you have the latest Win 10 drivers for the video card ?

This article has some tips on how to increase the performance of your video card, but as I use a laptop, pressing the Windows key and g together gave me very limited options.

It may work better for a PC - https://salmanzafar.me/increase-performance-of-video-card/

JohnCoool

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 05:15:53 am »
Thanks for the tips. Issues are resolved.

This is the same Toshiba Laptop upgraded after your recommendation last time for the colour saturation problem. It does not have any driver updates so I resorted to the other driver which was installed during the upgrade to Windows 10. That resolved the problem for KMplayer. For Divx player it did not but I found a setting in it to disable the Hardware accelerator and it works now too. All these used to work fine when it was on Windows 7, so I think there are some incompatibilities.

Last time to resolve the issue I installed the Windows 7 driver to get the video card utility to change colour saturation but it did not give an option for that and was able to improve colours by adjusting the Gama setting. The video card utility is gone once again but it has kept the settings and colors are still ok for that.

I will test games hoping they still work as well but will not be able to disable the hardware accelerator on them as that will not workout well for games.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 05:29:59 am by JohnCoool »

JohnCoool

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 05:22:53 am »
Before I mark this as solved, I would like some feedback on posting in the "User Submitted Tweaks & Guides" section of the forum. I created 3 guides in the past few months and posted them on the Windows 8 forum. They still need testing from other users to perfect them. I am not sure if these are the kind of guides that I should post on here too. Please take a look at them and let me know.

https://www.eightforums.com/threads/a-guide-on-how-to-lock-all-the-computers-on-the-network-with-one-batch-file.79964/

https://www.eightforums.com/threads/a-guide-on-how-to-run-live-wallpaper-on-lock-screen.79965/

https://www.eightforums.com/threads/this-is-a-guide-on-how-to-auto-pause-media-at-workstation-lock-includes-browser.79993/

It is like my contribution to people.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 05:54:20 am by JohnCoool »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 02:43:00 pm »
Yes, you could post them as they also apply to Win 10 but I don't understand the purpose of the first one.

JohnCoool

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 03:36:38 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.

I use these on a daily basis. I usually use two laptops at the same time and when I leave the room I just lock one and then other one locks a few seconds later.

It can also be applied for an internet cafe or a computer lab.

Do I need to do anything special or just post them as threads there? Is there a special procedure.

The second one does cause a slight security issue as it gives access to PC files when the correct key combination is pressed. Please consider it once again before I post them.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2020, 01:40:02 am »
Probably best to open separate threads for each with their own title.

As you have mentioned about the security risk in that one, it would be up to the people if they wanted to use it or not.

I very rarely have more than one machine on but as I live alone and don't use communal computer areas, there's no need for me to lock any machine.

JohnCoool

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2020, 03:54:34 am »
Well there are plenty of people on the planet and each one has a different setup.

Some people have 10 personal computers.

Usually I keep one for software testing or to run games while watch videos at the other. Trying to increase the accomplished tasks for each minute.

If I had enough cash to I would buy a bunch of computers and build a cluster to test the performance. I like combining power of cheap equipment to give performance of a powerful one.

I think every computer expert should try that at least once.

Maybe you can start that project in your free time and make a guide about it....

:cheesy:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Some programs are crashing on Windows 10 - Solved
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2020, 04:15:25 am »
I doubt it :)