Author Topic: Win 10 Laptop does not boot after Check File System ( step 3 in Tweaking)  (Read 3375 times)

Offline [email protected]

• View Profile
My Laptop : Lenovo X1 Carbon with Windows 10 bought May 2019. (so relatively new)

Licensed Tweaking.com Member : my id [email protected]

Status: After the Tweaking step 3 "Check File System" , my laptop does not even complete the boot up. I did not complete the repair of my system.

I have tried most Troubleshoot Advanced Options  (except resetting the PC) but unable to boot up. In the option 'Command Prompt" ... it said that my c drive is either corrupted or unreadable.

Please advise how do I recover my system.

If I need to download a software to a flash drive, what is the size of flash drive I will need ?

many thanks

Rakesh
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 08:49:36 pm by [email protected] »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Download Hiren's Boot Disk and boot up with that which should get Windows back up for you.

https://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd-on-usb-disk

That article will tell you how to create a bootable USB - I just have it on a DVD.

You can use this download to create a bootable disk - https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6966-hirens-bootcd.html

When that gets you back up, open a Powershell (Admin) or Command Prompt (Admin) and enter these cmds -

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

Safely eject the USB/DVD then enter this cmd to effect an immediate reboot to see if it will boot up on its own.

shutdown /r /t 00
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 04:00:22 am by Boggin »

Offline [email protected]

• View Profile

Hi Tom

1. I was able to create the USB and booted with USB. I id get to the Desktop .. and started with Command Prompt. However, none of the commands you suggested worked. I attach the screenshots (screen shot 1) what the messages I recd with the commands. (DISM)

2. Without any success on command DISM, I did the SFC / Scannow ... and did not succeed... see screen shot 2.

3/ I did the Shutdown command. I got to the screenshot 3. asking me to enter the bitlocker Key. I did that and I get a blue screen (screenshot 4) with error NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

Please advise what I should be doing next.

Also, I feel that step 3 in Tweaking has caused this issue. (i.e checking file system). Maybe you need to look why that happened.

HELP !!!!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The cmd is dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

In none of your pics did I see the cmd entered correctly.

Can you try the cmds again and let me know what the sfc /scannow reports, but I think you should also perform a chkdsk /r should your HDD be failing to have corrupted your volume.

You can view the chkdsk log by going into Event Viewer and when it has read the data, expand Windows Logs - click on Application/Action/Find and type chkdsk into the Find box and press enter.

Cancel the Find box and read the log in the scrollable pane below.

Primarily you are looking to see if it reports any KBs in bad sectors.

If it does then it's advisable to immediately create a system image onto external media as well as the means to recover from it - booting up with install media will lead you to that option.

Should the HDD be okay but you still have problems, as the Hiren's Boot got your Windows back up, create Win 10 install media after reading - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

If using an USB then insert that before downloading the media creation tool.

When you've done that, with Windows booted up, open Windows/File Explorer - This PC - insert the install media and double click on its drive.

This will start the process of a repair install if using a DVD but will open to its files when using an USB where you would then double click on setup Application.

A repair install doesn't affect personal files or installed programs.

I think the problems you have had with your machine were exasperated by the Windows Repair program, although you haven't said why you felt you needed to run the repair program.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 03:09:44 am by Boggin »