Author Topic: Repair made my computer completely dead  (Read 3771 times)

Offline rowan.bradley

• View Profile
Repair made my computer completely dead
« on: November 08, 2020, 11:06:55 am »
Hi,

I have been having problems with my Windows 8.1 PC for some weeks (frequent reboots and BSODs). Today I downloaded your Windows Repair Tool and ran it. Everything seemed to proceed OK as far as the reboot button. When I clicked this, it rebooted, but failed to start Windows. It just shows a blank dark grey screen. Every few seconds the screen went black for an instant (twice each time) like the backlight had been briefly turned off. I left it doing this for a couple of hours, but no improvement. I then turned the PC off and back on again, with the same problem. I then ran the BIOS self test, which eventually finished with no faults found.

So now I have a dead computer. How do I recover it so it will boot correctly? Why did your software do this? The last thing I want a computer repair program to do is to render my computer completely unusable.

Thank you - Rowan

« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 11:10:19 am by rowan.bradley »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Repair made my computer completely dead
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 03:58:22 pm »
BSODs are usually caused by driver problems.

If you have access to another computer, download/save and create a disk or USB for Hiren's Boot Disk.

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6966-hirens-bootcd.html

I successfully used the 15.2 version to get one of my Win 10 laptops back up.

You can use Windows USB/DVD Burner Tool to create either a bootable DVD or USB.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=56485

If using an USB then insert that before tapping F12 or whichever key as you switch on to use the one off boot order change.

Use the cursor keys to select the media you are using (and insert DVD if using a disk) then press enter.

Hopefully that will get you back up.

When it gets you back up, leave the media in and go to its drive and double click on it.

This will open to its files and double click on HBCD menu/Browse Folders where you can then double click on BlueScreenView which will analyse your Dump files and tell you what caused the BSOD.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 04:16:13 pm by Boggin »

Offline rowan.bradley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 04:59:25 am »
I have created a HBCD15.2 CD, and booted from it. But then I don't understand how to "go to its drive and double click on it". There is nothing in which I can navigate to a drive, just the HBCD menu containing various test and utility programs. It does not contain BlueScreenView.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks  Rowan

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 05:11:28 am »
I've never used Win 8.1 but in Win 10 you open Windows/File Explorer - This PC where you see the drive to double click on, but as you've found the HBCD Menu would suggest you have found Win 8.1's equivalent.

My Hiren's Boot Disk used in Win 10 after clicking on HBCD Menu opens a pane with Browse Folders.

Clicking on that opens to the list of utilities.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 03:50:57 am »
If you still can't see BlueScreenView then you can directly download it from https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

The download link is at the bottom of the article.