Author Topic: Boot issues after a failed Windows 10 update  (Read 4142 times)

Offline benherrmann

• View Profile
Boot issues after a failed Windows 10 update
« on: November 15, 2020, 10:29:34 am »
Hello all...

Well, now where do I begin here.  OK - after a failed Windows 10 update of the most recent release (I have version 1909), I have been unable to reboot my system - regardless of what I've tried.

During the Windows 10 update process, after rebooting and going through the normal motions and where the screen is blue and a percentage indicator shows the percentage of completion, eventually I got the notation "reversing all changes that have been made by the failed update" (or something to that effect).  OK, I thought - no big deal as I've had some failed Windows 10 updates in the past.

When it then rebooted, I was never able to get back into the system.  Even did a system restore from a few days before - all to no avail.

After a half dozen reboots, I did manage to get into Safe Mode with networking (where I'm at now as I type this).

I even (after two days of trying), resigned myself to do a complete Windows 10 restore, knowing I'd lose the programs I have installed.  I have a Lenovo desktop PC and it has the Windows 10 reinstall file on a separate (hidden) partition on my main drive.  Problem is that this didn't work either as I got the message that a reinstall was impossible.

So now that brings me to the question and possible suggestion regarding an additional feature on the Tweaking Windows Repair software.  Is there a possible way to add a feature that can repair Windows boot options such as identifying a register key, driver, or whatever - and then either being able to replace the missing files, or provide a link to where that particular file can be downloaded?  Simple question, I know - but I'm at the point where I'm asking all kinds of questions.

I have a new Windows 10 software disk coming in the mail, but it won't be here for another week.  I'd love to be able to save my system right now because I haver over 400 Gigs of installed programs and I dread the thought of having to reinstall of that software.

Any suggestions...?

Thanks,

Ben Herrmann
Fuquay Varina, NC
Thanks as always...

Ben Herrmann
US Marine Corps, Retired

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Boot issues after a failed Windows 10 update
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 01:41:14 pm »
As you can get into the advanced boot options, have you tried Startup Settings/Start-up Repair ?

As you can also get into Safe Mode with Networking, you can download and create a Hiren's Boot Disk which should get Windows back up for you.

I've successfully used the 15.2 version to get one of my Win 10 laptops back up.

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6966-hirens-bootcd.html

Select Save on the download and then you will be able to burn it to a DVD from your Downloads folder.

When you get Windows back up, open either a Powershell (Admin) or a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter these cmds -

dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

That one cleans out the WinSxS folder of obsolete updates which may help with your failed update.

Was the failed one for 2004 or 20H2 ?

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

Let me know if the sfc /scannow finds anything it is unable to repair.

Enter exit to close the cmd window and reboot without the Hiren's disk inserted to see if it will now boot okay.

You can also try a manual check for updates to see if you are offered the same one(s).

Offline benherrmann

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 11:22:18 am »
I have Windows version 1909 and all the updates provided updates to that version. 

Did what you recommended and downloaded the software you recommended, created a USB flash drive and I got it to boot into windows normally.  All power shell commands you recommended were completed and no errors were found (sfc /scannow).

OK - the cable guy just left.  I rebooted without the USB drive and all is well in Herrmann land.  Thanks for the advice, as you were spot on.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 04:13:16 pm by benherrmann »
Thanks as always...

Ben Herrmann
US Marine Corps, Retired

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 04:12:50 am »
I've just seen your post as it was waiting to be approved for some reason or other.

Glad to see that worked out for you and thanks for the update - and you're welcome :)