Author Topic: Internet Connection Drops After A Few Hours Until Reboot (SOLVED)  (Read 10354 times)

Offline DanTheTechMan

• View Profile
Re: Internet Connection Drops After A Few Hours Until Reboot
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2021, 03:56:41 pm »
Well, after 2 additional days of troubleshooting, I believe I have found the root cause of my internet dropping out about every 2 hours (give or take), which was my desktop failing to renew the DHCP lease with my router. I've also narrowed the list to 3 programs that may be causing this issue: My media center of choice (JRiver), my web browser of choice (Opera), or my reminder/daily planner/scheduling software of choice (MyLifeOrganized). I highly doubt it's the 3rd, however, that software does have a WiFi or Cloud Sync feature, so it's possible that it could be the cause. I'll update when I know exactly which of those 3 softwares is the cause, however, if it is one of the first 2, then I'll have to figure out exactly which setting or feature is causing the internet to drop out.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2021, 02:22:45 am »
It looks like you are getting close.

Sometimes it may not be any one program/Service but two conflicting with each other.

Disable all three then enable just one of those at a time, disabling it before enabling the others in turn.

If neither on their own cause a drop out then there are 3 combinations of pairs you'll need to check out.

Offline DanTheTechMan

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2021, 07:09:14 am »
Sorry for the late reply. I believe my issue is solved (I have a Verizon tech coming out today), however, I'm not exactly sure what I did (if anything) to fix it. The first day that it worked without going out was Friday. The only thing that I can think of that might have fixed it was when I upgraded an extremely out of date software product I had installed on my desktop (DVDVideoSoft's Free Studio, to be exact), however, I'm not completely convinced that was it. In any event, my internet seems to be working now. To everyone who assisted me with this, thank you, and a BIG thank you to @Boggin for sticking with me through this until the end.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 10:22:15 am by DanTheTechMan »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2021, 09:54:46 am »
Let me know if the tech finds anything but good to see that your connection is remaining stable.

Why did you think that one of those three other programs were the cause ?

BTW - You're Welcome :)

Offline DanTheTechMan

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2021, 12:55:25 pm »
I started by disabling all startup programs and re-enabling them one at a time, and after I started all of them manually (with the exception of a few unnecessary programs), my internet was still stable, so I then proceeded to check which of the programs I open manually at startup was the cause. Roughly 2 hours after I opened JRiver, my internet dropped out (I had opened the other 2 before the 2 hours was up). However, before I started checking the manually opened programs, I made the mistake of re-enabling ALL of the startup programs, not just the necessary ones, which is how I missed the true cause the first time. So, just to be sure, I started from the beginning again, however, this time I did NOT enable all of the startup items before checking the programs I open manually, and that's how I found the true cause. I'm still not sure if it was DVDVideoSoft's Free studio or if it was my printer software, however, I'm fairly confident it was one of those two.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 12:57:17 pm by DanTheTechMan »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2021, 01:13:24 pm »
Okay.