Author Topic: What is the best thing to read to understand how to use windows repair and I was  (Read 3856 times)

Offline tsmith

• View Profile
Hi, i have owned a copy of Tweaking windows repair for a long while and have tried to use it but am worried I dont know what the heck I am doing and was wondering if you can direct me to the place I can learn to use the software effectively. I also am wondering if you can recommend a file manager to use. My cell phone is 32 GB and I am always almost always short on space. I have moved as many things as I can think of to a memory card but am wondering if there is something I can do to make more room inside my phone. I also was wondering about these programs if they work well with windows 10 and if you recommend installing these ? Thanks so much for iyour time!
Simple System Tweaker : Tweaking.com - Simple System Tweaker is designed to bring only the safest tweaks to your system to increase speed and stability. You can get faster boot & shutdown times, faster network file sharing, snappier feel to opening Windows and programs, and more stability. The system in all should feel smoother.

Tweaking.com - Registry Compressor : The Windows Registry is a hierarchical database that stores configuration settings and options on Microsoft Windows operating systems. Just like databases, the registry can become bloated and large when there has been a lot of additions and deletions from the registry. This program does NOT remove or add anything to the registry. What it does is it rebuilds the registry to new files, when this happens all the overhead is gone, and the registry is smaller and faster.

Tweaking.com - (Right Click) Allow, Block or Remove - Windows Firewall : The point of this program is to make adding/removing programs to/from your Windows firewall easier than ever. This program will add a right click option to all .exe and .com programs, allowing you to allow, block or remove a program from the Windows firewall in 1 click.

Registry Backup : A free backup tool that will use the Windows Volume Shadow Copy Service to backup your system registry. By using the Volume Shadow Copy theregistry backup program is safer to use.

Tweaking.com - svchost.exe Lookup Tool : Tweaking.com - svchost.exe Lookup Tool can show all currently running svchost.exe on the system and what service each one belongs to. If you have ever noticed svchost.exe in your task manager taking a large amount of memory or high CPU, you wonder what it belongs to. svchost.exe is used to run certain services in Windows.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
On the left of the main UI of Windows Repair there is a Help button.

Clicking on that will give a number of sections which explain using each aspect of WR.

I'm quite happy with the way my Win 10 laptop works so I don't bother with Tweaking.com's additional programs, so can't advise on those.

If you do want to try them out then I would suggest creating a manual restore point before installing and running each, should you want to revert any changes made by them.

You can Google for file managers for phone which will give you a number of links to browse through.

Offline tsmith

• View Profile
Thanks!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
While Shane has updated WR, I've found a problem when using the registry back up from within WR.

After the reboot I got the error The ProfSvc service failed to sign in and after clicking on the sign in button etc. it just put me into a loop back to the blue screen with that error.

I power shut down, restarted and shutdown when the Windows logo came up.

I did this another twice and on the restart it came up as Attempting Automatic Repair which changed to Diagnosing your PC.

When this completed I was given the options of Restore or Cancel.

I opted for Restore then it went into Attempting repairs.

This lasted for about 1hr 50mins before the machine came back up, so I would advise against using that option as well as using the creation of a restore point in WR as it doesn't physically create one even though it reports it has done.

I've reported these to Shane so hopefully he will be working on a solution.

Prior to running WR I would advise manually creating your own restore point.

This can be done by opening Windows/File Explorer - right click on This PC and select Properties where you will see System protection on the right to click on.

When it comes up click on Create - I usually name it as Manual.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 02:40:07 am by Boggin, Reason: Typo »