Author Topic: Windows 10 Folder Issue  (Read 4221 times)

Offline denis

• View Profile
Windows 10 Folder Issue
« on: March 19, 2021, 05:32:44 am »
Hi, I am hoping someone can help me, please? Every time I open a folder and then click on a file in the folder, windows explorer freezes, and I  have to keep restarting it. However, that does not rectify the issue and it just keeps happening.

I have Google to find solutions, but every solution that I have tried does not work. What else can I do to fix this issue?

Thank you,
Denis

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 Folder Issue
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 05:48:12 am »
Not sure if you have already tried this but open a Command Prompt (Admin) or Powershell (Admin) and enter these cmds -

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

Enter exit to close the cmd window and check to see if that has resolved.

If not then I would suggest a repair install which doesn't affect personal files or installed programs.

You will need Win 10 install media to perform this and you can create such media after reading - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

It's been found that you have to use Internet Explorer to download the Media Creation Tool (MCT).

Open Windows/File Explorer - This PC and insert the install media and double click on its drive.

This will start the process if using a DVD but will open to its files when using an USB where you would then double click on setup Application.

Offline denis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 02:45:13 pm »
Hi Boggin,

Thank you for your reply. I have tried both those CMD commands and it did not rectify the issue. It seems I will have to do the media install option which is a pain as I lose some of my apps and programs I think.

I have no idea why this issue started, but it seemed to start after a Windows 10 update a few days ago.

Regards,
Denis

Offline denis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 05:35:02 pm »
For some reason, the issue has decided to fix itself. Windows issues some sort of update today and I am wondering if the issues have something to do with a previous update a few days earlier.

Regards,
Denis

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 03:47:50 am »
I didn't have any problems after the recent update which took my version to 20H2 19042.868

I haven't received any further updates.

You can check your version by going Start - type winver and press enter when it comes up.

You don't lose personal files or installed programs with a repair install, which is the beauty of it, although it may not be a silver bullet in some circumstances but is an option worth bearing in mind when the file check/repair cmds don't resolve.

Anyway, glad things have sorted themselves out.

Offline denis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2021, 01:50:42 pm »
Hi Boggin,

Everything is still working okay now. Thank you for the additional information you have given me.

Regards,
Denis

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2021, 03:48:17 pm »
You're Welcome :)