Author Topic: Is Safe Mode necessary for doing a restore in Registry Backup?  (Read 5609 times)

Offline ralt177

• Wannabe geek for many years, still not there, lol.
    • View Profile
Is Safe Mode necessary for doing a restore in Registry Backup?
« on: December 11, 2012, 02:40:25 am »
Probably a dumb question, but here goes...

You mention doing a restore with Registry Backup in a few ways: from Windows Recovery Environment, by going into Safe Mode and using the Command Line, by using a Live CD to boot a separate Operating System and do a file copy to replace the corrupt or unwanted registry files with the backup.

Ummmm...... does the lack of mentioning calling up cmd.exe from the Start Button and using the command line from there mean that trying to do that would NOT be successful or advisable?  I know of course you'd have to re-boot right after you did that, but if for some reason the Windows copy of Registry Backup couldn't be called to do the restore, could a user use the command line from within Windows to run the restore program that's included with each set of backups, at C:\RegBackup\{Computername}...   ??
"I'm astounded by people who want to 'know' the universe when it's hard enough to find your way around Chinatown." - Woody Allen

"Many people know that the ocean contains a drop, but the challenge in this life is to understand that the drop contains the ocean." - Prem Rawat

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Is Safe Mode necessary for doing a restore in Registry Backup?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 11:05:07 am »
You just restore from within the program like normal, no need for safe mode :-)

The other ways I showed where in case you cant get Windows to boot normally. I made sure there was plenty of different ways to get the restore going based on how bad things are :wink:

But normal restore is done right in the program.

Shane