Author Topic: Black flashing screen after using the tool, no bios  (Read 6582 times)

Offline Loru2

• View Profile
Black flashing screen after using the tool, no bios
« on: July 12, 2021, 11:06:11 am »
Hello everyone,

I had the Microsoft Store not working and to restore it I tried using Tweaking.com Windows Repair from Safe Mode. All the options were selected.

At the end of the procedure my screen went to flashing black, with the top half a slightly lighter black than the bottom half.

I could see everything via HDMI in a second screen, even though my laptop was extremely slower than usual, but I stupidly disabled/unistalled the Integrated intel HD video card from Device Manager, thinking it could have solved the issue.

And now I can no longer see even the external monitor, all black.

Now I don't know what to do, I took it to a repair center and they didn't know what to do, they thought it was a display problem but they're don't know, also because it's a big coincidence that this all occurred during that procedure.

Do you have any ideas? Even if it's just on how to restore the HDMI output.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Black flashing screen after using the tool, no bios
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2021, 01:55:38 pm »
Can you hold down the Windows logo key at the same time as pressing Ctrl, Shift + B

You should see the screen dim or flutter and hear a beep, which means that Windows is trying to refresh.

This may get you into Safe Mode to use the onboard VGA graphics.

Another way to get into the advanced options is to start and power shut down three times which should give you the diagnosing screen to take you onto those options to select Safe Mode with Networking.

If you have access to another machine then you can create a Win 10 install USB (min size 8GB) then follow the steps in this article to reinstall your graphics drivers.

This article will guide you through creating an install USB - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-install-video-drivers-in-safe-mode

While it doesn't mention Win 10, the steps are similar, although I'm not sure about Step 6.

Let me know how you get on.

You may well have had a display problem which was exacerbated by the repair program, but that's only a guess as this has never been reported before.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 02:28:10 pm by Boggin, Reason: Typo »

Offline Loru2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 06:09:10 pm »
Can you hold down the Windows logo key at the same time as pressing Ctrl, Shift + B

You should see the screen dim or flutter and hear a beep, which means that Windows is trying to refresh.

This may get you into Safe Mode to use the onboard VGA graphics.

Another way to get into the advanced options is to start and power shut down three times which should give you the diagnosing screen to take you onto those options to select Safe Mode with Networking.

If you have access to another machine then you can create a Win 10 install USB (min size 8GB) then follow the steps in this article to reinstall your graphics drivers.

This article will guide you through creating an install USB - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-install-video-drivers-in-safe-mode

While it doesn't mention Win 10, the steps are similar, although I'm not sure about Step 6.

Let me know how you get on.

You may well have had a display problem which was exacerbated by the repair program, but that's only a guess as this has never been reported before.
Thanks for the suggestion.
The problem is that I don't see anything on the screen, I used to see everything on a secondary monitor connected via hdmi but having disabled the graphics card I don't see anything anymore.
So I don't know how could choose the option to select safe mode
Trying that key combination I don't hear any beeps, but I think my laptop it's booted up and shut down well over three times by now. And I see the screen momentarily turn off several times during startup, which didn't happen initially, and it's the same thing it happens if I press F2 to enter the BIOS. So I guess there's a screen to select safe mode.
With a vga cable and an old monitor could it work instead?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2021, 02:30:59 am »
That could be worth a try but I'm not familiar with using a VGA cable - I've only ever used laptops.

The only way I could assimilate your problem would be to disable my Intel graphics which I'm loathe to do should I just end up with a black screen and not be able to get back in.

Switching on and powering down should be done consecutively while Windows is starting to see if you get the Automated Repair screen.

Do that twice and the Automated Repair screen should come up when you switch on the third time.

You may have to repeat that process and power shut down three times for the Automated Repair screen to come up when you switch on the 4th time.

It does it after power shutting down just twice for me.

If you get that screen it will go onto diagnosing your pc then attempting repairs which can take a while.

The machine eventually booted Windows but I'm not sure what you will get with not having any main graphics.

I don't know what you are using to post on but if you have access to another computer, you could create a Hiren's Boot disk to see if that can find a way to boot up with your onboard VGA graphics.

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6966-hirens-bootcd.html

Use the 15.2 download button.

Offline Tim_Tweaking

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2021, 04:14:24 am »
So you know, repairing the Microsoft Store would not affect your computer display. It's a coincidence that while fixing one thing, another broke, sadly not rare. The Windows Store fix is a well-documented registry change that's been used for years.

OK, next up. Once you have no screen or display, you have a problem, a BIG problem. That's why the repair shop sent it back.

The only option is to find a way to see the screen and use System Restore or reinstall. I suspect your display card, hardware, or the screen itself has died, so let's check that out:

Boot using ANY boot CD, bootable Linux, or thumb drive.  You could even boot off a Windows ISO or try the key combination to access your computer's restore program (if it has one).

If you STILL can't see your screen, you've eliminated Windows, and its settings as the problem and now know you have a hardware issue. By the way, any good shop should have done this for you.
Tweaking.Com Support and Moderator

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2021, 06:48:13 am »
The hardware issue is that he disabled his main Intel graphics.

I'm trying to get him into Safe Mode from a blank screen.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 06:50:04 am by Boggin »

Offline Tim_Tweaking

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2021, 07:09:20 am »
Oh, that's easier. Reset the BIOS to factory settings. Step 2, using the jumpers:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page/how_to_reset_your_bios_to_optimaldefault_or_factory_settings.html

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2021, 02:40:26 pm »
Will resetting the BIOS get his Intel main graphics back ?

Offline Tim_Tweaking

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2021, 03:04:20 pm »
Since he disabled it, if it's onboard, most likely it was on by default.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2021, 02:03:31 am »
Let's hope he comes back with favourable reply.

Offline Loru2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2021, 09:53:21 am »
I am extremely indebted to you for your responses, you have been very very helpful!

That could be worth a try but I'm not familiar with using a VGA cable - I've only ever used laptops.

The only way I could assimilate your problem would be to disable my Intel graphics which I'm loathe to do should I just end up with a black screen and not be able to get back in.

Switching on and powering down should be done consecutively while Windows is starting to see if you get the Automated Repair screen.

Do that twice and the Automated Repair screen should come up when you switch on the third time.

You may have to repeat that process and power shut down three times for the Automated Repair screen to come up when you switch on the 4th time.

It does it after power shutting down just twice for me.

If you get that screen it will go onto diagnosing your pc then attempting repairs which can take a while.

The machine eventually booted Windows but I'm not sure what you will get with not having any main graphics.

I don't know what you are using to post on but if you have access to another computer, you could create a Hiren's Boot disk to see if that can find a way to boot up with your onboard VGA graphics.

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6966-hirens-bootcd.html

Use the 15.2 download button.
I bought a VGA cable to see if I can see the Automated Repair screen in a secondary monitor (HDMI doesn't work but VGA maybe does).
I'm also trying to get a monitor or TV that has VGA input, since from the laptop screen I keep seeing everything in flashing black.
I will try Hiren's BootCD PE on a usb drive right away! I have an old laptop from 2012 that is extremely slow but I can use it for these tasks. I hope the tool will work, although I have a doubt that the BIOS gives priority to the hard disk and I can't select the USB priority (not seeing anything on the screen).

So you know, repairing the Microsoft Store would not affect your computer display. It's a coincidence that while fixing one thing, another broke, sadly not rare. The Windows Store fix is a well-documented registry change that's been used for years.

OK, next up. Once you have no screen or display, you have a problem, a BIG problem. That's why the repair shop sent it back.

The only option is to find a way to see the screen and use System Restore or reinstall. I suspect your display card, hardware, or the screen itself has died, so let's check that out:

Boot using ANY boot CD, bootable Linux, or thumb drive.  You could even boot off a Windows ISO or try the key combination to access your computer's restore program (if it has one).

If you STILL can't see your screen, you've eliminated Windows, and its settings as the problem and now know you have a hardware issue. By the way, any good shop should have done this for you.
I don't think it's the fault of your tool either. I have used it in the past with satisfaction, I think there was some software or hardware problem that with the procedure maybe aggravated.
I'll also try a Windows or Linux bootable (unfortunately via USB, my laptop doesn't have a CD drive), though I think the problem will still be there.

Oh, that's easier. Reset the BIOS to factory settings. Step 2, using the jumpers:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page/how_to_reset_your_bios_to_optimaldefault_or_factory_settings.html
I already tried step 1. I'm sure when I press F2 I enter the BIOS because when I press this key the screen goes black(off, no backlight) for a second. Then I pressed F9 key to automatically load factory settings, then pressed enter to confirm, F10 key to start Windows, then pressed enter to confirm and after all that I see the screen turn off again for a second. And I guess it started Windows then.
But it didn't work, still can't see anything on screen.

So I gotta go with step 2. I've already opened the PC and I'm sure I don't have the flat battery (CMOS), I've also looked up disassembly guides for my laptop and even there they say it's not there.
I'll try with the pins, maybe I'll find some video guide that will explain how to do it.

And thank you again very very very much!!!

Offline Tim_Tweaking

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2021, 10:09:53 am »
If you give me the make and model of the laptop, I can double-check for you. They may be right, but that would be a first for me, so I'm curious.

Offline Loru2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2021, 10:20:30 am »
If you give me the make and model of the laptop, I can double-check for you. They may be right, but that would be a first for me, so I'm curious.
Asus F555LD-XX108H  :wink:

Offline Tim_Tweaking

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2021, 10:33:37 am »
If you had access to a monitor, you MIGHT be able to see to reset the BIOS from Settings. That said, you might be right about the battery, but you're looking for the pins that say CLRCMOS or maybe CLRTC. Usually, an extra jumper is only connected to one of the pins (does nothing), and you move that jumper to both pins to "short" out the memory and restore the factory defaults. This explains it some:

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1040820/

Finally,  there's a couple videos and I wouldn't want to try this, but here you go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL97XhontSo
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrqEI2v-J4k

I hope you get it!

Offline Loru2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2021, 11:46:25 am »
If you had access to a monitor, you MIGHT be able to see to reset the BIOS from Settings. That said, you might be right about the battery, but you're looking for the pins that say CLRCMOS or maybe CLRTC. Usually, an extra jumper is only connected to one of the pins (does nothing), and you move that jumper to both pins to "short" out the memory and restore the factory defaults. This explains it some:

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1040820/

Finally,  there's a couple videos and I wouldn't want to try this, but here you go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL97XhontSo
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrqEI2v-J4k

I hope you get it!
The link on the Asus site looks interesting.
I would have to find a suitable metal conductor to short-circuit the two pins.
In the videos, however, there is a battery, which is missing in my PC.

I will also try with the USB drive.
I've already seen, by connecting via VGA my older Asus (2011/12) to an external monitor, that the BIOS is not displayed in the external monitor, neither is the Asus logo. Just works with the Windows screens. Don't know why.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2021, 02:30:34 pm »
On two of my Toshiba laptops while you can't see the CMOS battery, you can see the pins to short out after removing the RAM modules.

Perhaps yours is similar in that context, but it has to have a CMOS battery fitted to retain the BIOS settings.

Offline Loru2

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2021, 07:51:30 am »
Update.
I couldn't find any pins in the motherboard, unfortunately. There is no CLRTC writing on it. I located the bios but stopped there.
I removed the ram modules, nothing.

With the VGA cable I can't see anything with a Windows 8.1 bootable.

Doing some testing now I can see (on an external monitor with VGA cable) the lubuntu screen that appears using a bootable usb called All In One (system rescue toolkit Paul-is-a-geek) so I guess it might not be a GPU/motherboard hardware issue but rather a display issue.

Other bootables (hiren boot's cd) don't support video output, they don't send any image to an external monitor, I did the tests with the other pc.
So there's no way I could reinstall Windows

I bought a new display, might be the only solution

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2021, 10:31:53 am »
You could be right as you got the black flashing screen before disabling the Intel graphics.

Keep us updated.