Author Topic: my pc is failing fast  (Read 3045 times)

Offline stonky73

• View Profile
my pc is failing fast
« on: August 01, 2021, 05:42:44 am »
 :angry: I had a permissions errror on drive D: that preventing me from adding or deleting to my public Documents folder and other folders in Users i thought this would be a straight forward fix , I followed the instructions on how to use the preset for resetting permissions only , But when run the repair failed to start a few times b4 telling me ishould try in safe mode , which i did but still the same message . Nowhardly any apps will work such as xbox app , which i tried to re install , but that failed to install as well as xbox services which also failed to install.I cant even get the windows media creation tool to work any more and have also tried but failed to reset my p.c to factory settings also now i cant get TASK MANAGER to come up and most my other programmes or apps fail to even launch now , I had hoped this would have been a great programme to have but all ive done is make matters much worse and this is about the only app that actually still runs , though none of the repairs have worked at all plz plz help (If anyone can remotely operate and help i would be very grateful) i get an error message code 0x80070005 if that helps when i try to install xbox app
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 09:03:28 am by stonky73 »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: my pc is failing fast
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 03:10:32 pm »
Can you boot into Safe Mode then go Start - type  rstrui.exe and press enter when it comes up.

This will open Windows Restore for you to select an appropriate restore point.

My Win 10 doesn't create many restore points but it sometimes gives me an option to show more restore points.

I think you also need to check your HDD and run a system file check.

I'm assuming you are using Win 10.

Open a Command Prompt (Admin) or Powershell (Admin) and enter chkdsk /r

Follow the prompts then enter shutdown /r /t 00 to effect an immediate reboot for the cmd to execute.

When it has completed, open Event Viewer and ensure Event Viewer (Local) is highlighted in the left pane - if it isn't then just click on it.

When it has read the data - expand Windows Logs and click on Application/Action/Find and type chkdsk into the Find box and press enter.

Cancel the Find box and read the report in the pane below.

Primarily you are looking to see if it reports any KBs in bad sectors.

If it does then you will need to immediately create a system image onto external media in preparation for full HDD failure.

If the chkdsk comes back clean then open a Command Prompt (Admin) or Powershell (Admin) and enter these cmds which will take some time to run.

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

Enter exit to close the cmd window and let me know what either cmd reports and if they have resolved the problems.

I've replied to you here rather than by private message as this reply could help others should they end up with the same problem.