Author Topic: AVG locked up my regedit,  (Read 5085 times)

Offline Covert_Wolf

• View Profile
AVG locked up my regedit,
« on: December 29, 2012, 07:44:59 pm »
i need help  BAAAAD  . avg locked up regedit as virus ,while in reapir section of tool .  i cant access anything to get anywere . no sys restore even in safe mode. i cant open avg to unlock the regedit. cn anyone help me out on this ?

Offline Covert_Wolf

• View Profile
Re: AVG locked up my regedit,
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 02:31:39 pm »
ok  back up and running . the problem seem to be while the program was in renewing file permissions , AVG anvitvirus saw that as threat , locked up my regedit . i had tic marked to auto reboot the machine when finished . once the reboot went,  my regedit was in custody, lol . absolutely nothing worked . 6 hours later  i tried combofix as a fluke to see if that would reset any permissions .had to use right click "start , not open "
 i gave me 2 back  , one being explorer , so i could now navigate around. from there  i had to "right click , "not open ,but start "  worked on the file. then i d/l avg again . "run not save :  once installed i could open avg and unlock my regedit.exe.  after reboot all seem fine again . the tweak toll says to off any antivirus , and i could 'almost 'swear i had turn it off .
 i had run the tool b4 w/ the avg still on , and not any problem .  dunno why this time it reacted  that way . anyhow  that is what i found out

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: AVG locked up my regedit,
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 03:01:13 pm »
Odd AVG would block regedit.exe all because the permissions on that file where changed. But of course I have read reports of AVG crashing machines as well lol

I myself use the free version of Avast. Just remember that they are always updating and changing their virus defs. So where they may not block something 1 time they will block it as a false positive at another time.

From running a computer repair business for over 10 years now I have seen the Antivirus cause more problems then it actually protects lol

Good to hear you got it back up and running.

Shane