Author Topic: spool service repair  (Read 7139 times)

Offline emanuel

• View Profile
spool service repair
« on: January 10, 2013, 02:00:41 am »
Hi there, software works grate - especially to repair OS after virus infection or maleware ! I absolutely love it and use it as first line on most problems now :)

Today I encouraged simple problem which could be added to the software I think

Print spooler wasn't starting when system boot - I had this on several occasions - Problem in most cases is related to files under c:\windows\system32\spool\printers - once this folder get empty print spooler starts again and printer can be reinstalled if required . It would be nice to have it added to the software (simple delete script ) - not like this is trouble to do it manually but it is nice to have one tool which fix it all :)

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: spool service repair
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 03:35:59 pm »
Not a bad idea but there is a problem. The drivers are also stored there I think, so deleting the contents of the folder may cause problems on certain machines. :wink:

Shane

Offline emanuel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 01:11:53 am »
Not a bad idea but there is a problem. The drivers are also stored there I think, so deleting the contents of the folder may cause problems on certain machines. :wink:

Shane

To my knowlage and correct me if I'm wrong ain't the drivers under c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers :-) ?

to fix spooler the way I suggest would be to empty only system32\spool\printers which holds only tmp file .

Another suggestion :) would be to expand this into: "Fix Printer issues"
"Fix Printer issues" > Spooler doesn't start
"Fix Printer issues" > Remove Printers from registry (there is several places where printers are stored and sometimes this has to be done - ocasionaly - manualy )

There might be some more fixes , I work often with architects and if their printers are down it is even worst than server failure :P

Let me know what do you think :)

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 12:34:28 pm »
Only thing I am worried about is it causing problems for a persons printer.

So your saying not the sub folders but only the files in that folder itself.

I do know on the spooler not starting that the drivers can cause that sometimes as well, but we dont want to touch those for an automated repair :-)

Shane