Author Topic: Windows Firewall fixed, but now a new problem  (Read 13024 times)

Offline Siameezer2

• View Profile
Windows Firewall fixed, but now a new problem
« on: January 11, 2013, 05:07:19 pm »
I was thrilled after running this to find that, indeed, I was not able to turn on Windows Firewall.   Sadly, however, the whole reason I wanted to do that was because an installation (from HP for my scanner) that I was attempting to run kept failling due to inability to turn on WF.  Well .... NOW when I doubleclick on the exe file, I get a new error message ... "Unable to create folder to extract webpack!".      I would have to guess that this is some sort of file permissions issue that arose as a result of the file permissions reset, as it has never happened before.   Any ideas?

Thanks!
Susan

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Firewall fixed, but now a new problem
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 05:58:01 pm »
The file permissions repair would actually help, it doesn't remove any permissions just ads administrators and everyone, which of course should help.

The program extracts the files to the temp folder (Which is at the point you get the error). There is one thing you can do instead.

Download 7-zip. It is a free zip program that I use on my system. When it is installed you can then right click on the setup file and extract the files into a folder there. Then go in that folder and run the setup :-)

I am off to spend time with the wife and kids so I will reply in the morning is you post by then :cheesy:

Shane

Offline Siameezer2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 05:04:39 am »
Thanks for the quick reply, Shane.   

I had run the file permissions repair as a part of the firewall fix (checked "reset registry permissions," "reset file permissions," "repair WMI," "Windows Firewall," and "restart when finished."     I do already have 7-Zip installed and, in fact, the dialog box with the error message reported below had 7-Zip in its title bar.   When right-clicking on the exe file, however, there was no ability to extract.   Poking around last night, I thought I'd check the file permissions and found that UAC was turned off for some reason.  Not sure why, but as soon as I turned that back on and rebooted, I was able to install the HP software. 

A second similar problem, however, has arisen.   I have a couple of other installation files that I know recently worked fine -- a FileZilla update is one of them.  Attempting to run that, and a couple of others, produces a dialog box with "NSIS Error" in the title bar and the message "Error writing temporary file.  Make sure your temp file is valid."   This, too, is something brand new.   Any ideas on this?

Thanks!
Susan

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 12:54:51 pm »
So 2 programs now complain about the temp folder.

So lets check the temp folder :-)

What version of Windows are you on?

Shane