Author Topic: Windows 7 messed up after recovery and I start school in 36 hours. :/  (Read 7720 times)

Offline SagansTutleneck

• View Profile
Hello!
I'm hoping someone can lend me a hand because I really need to have my computer up and running when I start school on Wednesday. I saw some topics that were kind of similar to my problem, but not quite the same. 
The Seagate hard drive that came in my ASUS UL50VT bit the dust and I replaced it with a WD Black of the same size (500 GB) but higher RPMs (5400 to 7200). ASUS comes with their own recovery software and I read that it would restore Windows as good as new. Nope. 
Windows Update cannot be turned on and some of the troubleshooters won't load.  Windows 7 says that it's activated and will show me the key. It's OEM so I don't have any install disks.
I've tried a number of different troubleshooters, updating Service pack 1 manually (which won't install due to catastrophic failure), updating all the drivers I can think of, sfc scans, and even this program.  The Windows troubleshooters keep telling me the problem is resolved, but it's not.  When I ran Tweaking there were errors in the first operation but everything else looked like it ran OK.
Help me Obi Wan Tweakobi, you're my only hope.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 04:57:25 pm by SagansTutleneck »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 7 messed up after recovery and I start school in 36 hours. :/
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 08:01:12 pm »
OK first thing to do is to run some scans, I want you to run these 3 tools

1. tdsskiller.exe
2. malwarebytes
3. combofix.exe

Once those are ran and done, run this system readyness tool before you try to install sp1
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20858

Once that is installed reboot and give SP1 a go :wink:

Also have you ran any of my repair tools yet?

Shane

Offline SagansTutleneck

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 08:40:57 pm »
Hey! Thanks for the speedy response! You rule!

I did run Malwarebytes and it found nothing.  The System Readiness tool told me my WIN wasn't genuine, which it is. I did run Tweaking Windows Repair and it ran through OK except for it showed some errors in the first repair (reset registry permissions).

I emailed ASUS tech support and a lady there told me I needed to BUY a recovery disc because they phased out the AI Recovery burner they installed to justify not including recovery disks with their computers because it was having so many problems. Which I refuse to do.

BUT...I actually got Windows Update to start working.  I read in a different forum (I've been messing with this all day!) that it's a problem with the chipset and the newer WD HDDs. I was led to this updated driver...
 http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&softwareitem=ob-82337-1
(If it's NOT OK to post links, I apologize.) and I'm about to restart after the 100 bazillion WIN 7 updates download.

If things are still goofy after restart I'll try the scans you suggested. I'll let you know either way. :)

Thanks!

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 09:00:01 pm »
Let me know how the updates do :-)

Shane

Offline SagansTutleneck

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 11:18:11 am »
Long story short - I think I got it. And thank you, thank you, thank you for making Tweaking All-in-one and distributing it for free.

Here's the long version in case it might help you find a better fix or help someone else who is reading the forum:

After the 150 or so updates, WIN kept having errors (Code 80070643) on just a few updates (KB963678, KB963670, KB963669, KB963665, KB967642 and KB963673).

Using the resolution on this page (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/KB976982#method2 ) I used their fix for the msi and tried to repair the .NET framework, but the same error code kept coming up. SFC scan found no integrity violations which was better than before when it kept saying there were corrupt files that couldn't be repaired. So I gave up on those for a bit.

STDDKiller and Combofix both found nothing.  Used the Readiness Checker which downloaded Hotfix KB947821.  Got the same error code.  Ran Tweaking making sure Defender was off - it got turned on earlier and I didn't notice that the Tweaking repairs would turn it on, which is my fault.  I came back after a few hours and those updates were just fine. I was then able to reload my Office 2010 and do yet more updates. :cheesy:

I hope this will help someone. Thanks a ton!

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 04:46:09 pm »
So my repair tool got you going?

Every time I hear my programs do good it actually does put a smile on my face :cheesy:

Shane

Offline SagansTutleneck

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 06:37:54 pm »
Yep!
I've recommended it to my friends and they'll spread the word about this as well.
Thanks again!

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 04:00:17 pm »
Awesome :-)

Since your fixed I will lock this thread :wink:

And as always...
If your happy with my work. Then all I ask in return is you simply let others know about my site and programs. I help with anything computer or network related :-)
Also always feel free to make a post in the feedback forum.
And a facebook like at the top of the page of my site is nice as well. ;)

Shane