Author Topic: Windows Update cannot currently update because the service is not running  (Read 11915 times)

Offline tntypography

• View Profile
Hi,

I'm on a Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit machine, genuine and regularly updated. I'm using the latest F-Secure Internet Security.

I'm currently having an issue with Update. It reports that is not running, and when I hit the button to manually check the error message used as a title to this thread comes up: Windows Update cannot currently update because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer.

The error is odd, as when I'm checking the services, Update is up and running. Whether I stop it, start it, or restart it, the message remains the same.

I've spent the better part of yesterday going through forums, 'solutions', and causes, and have yet to find something that applies to my issue. As the last option, I tried the Tweaking Windows AIO repair - with no effect on the update issue.

I tried the following unsuccessfully:

reset the Update components wit the Fix-it. It reports that it was successful, but there is no change to the issue.
reset manually
run SFC (it reports errors that it cannot fix)
deleted the contents of the SoftwareDistribution folder

As one Windows forum reports that the issue is caused by Malware, I did the following checks which were all negative:
F-Secure system scan
F-Secure online scan
Kaspersky TDSSKiller
Malwarebytes scan
Windows Malicious Software Removal tool January 13 scan

I even tried to do a Repair Install with my original Win DVD, but it found that my running system is newer than the disc-one, and refused to install over it.

Before doing a clean-sweep install, which I'd really like to avoid because the time it would take me to set everything up anew, I thought I'd give this forum a shot. Your help would be much appreciated. In case the log files of the SFC or the Repair AIO might shed some light on the issue I'd be happy to share them.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 02:20:06 am by tntypography »

Offline NoWhereMan

• View Profile
Hello:
You did not mention what is/was your current A/V program [unless it is F-Secure].
Other A/V's historically do Not uninstall well [Mcafee, Avast, Norton, AVG - each has a separate uninstaller - ]
You might try Bleeping Computer's Combofix.
Be very sure to turn off antivirus AND un plug the ethernet cable and disable wireless.

I helped repair a firend's PC using it.
Combofix reported services.exe was infected.
Run SFC with the Windows installation DVD inserted.
Then retry Shane's Windows Repair tool..
and then reestablish network connectivity.

hth

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth
Did you try rogue killer? http://tigzy.geekstogo.com/roguekiller.php

And check your system with portable security software to get rid of viruses from my web http://vrt-com.webnode.com/products-/

Offline tntypography

• View Profile
Thanks for your suggestions.

My AV is F-Secure, and I did both a local and a remote (online) scan that found no issues.

Today I tried your suggestions with the following results:
Combofix produced a log that I cannot read, what should I look out for?
Roguekiller reported six registry entries, none of which looked suspicious to me.

I actually doubt that there is any malware, but guess that some Windows component were screwed up by an install, maybe something along these lines (it's a Lenovo Thinkpad):
http://www.blackrosetech.com/gessel/2011/08/29/lenovo-system-update-breaks-windows-update

I might just have to bite the bullet and re-install, it might be quicker than doing pointless troubleshooting.

I have a system image that I could use, but am not sure about one detail: I have two partitions on my drive and only the system partition is backed-up. When I re-image windows from that source, will it keep my data partition untouched, or will it format it too?
Thanks for your help.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Before you do a fresh install I have something you can do for a repair install.

First did you run all the repairs in my program? I ask because I wonder if it is a permissions problem.

Next, you can do a repair install, you just need a disk with sp1 on it. Here you go :-)
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/w/microsoft_os/3316.2-1-microsoft-windows-7-official-iso-download-links-digital-river.aspx

Shane

Offline tntypography

• View Profile
Hi, thanks for getting back to me again. I've run your tool with the default settings, but will run it again with all options enabled.

Thanks a lot for the link to the image, I didn't know it was related to SP1 and will give this a shot soon.

I'll report here on outcomes...

Offline Anoop

• View Profile
Hello!!!

May I know is that a Intel Processor or an AMD.

If its an Intel, please go ahead and Install Intel Rapid storage driver that will take care of the issue.

If its an AMD, you have to perform repair Installation of the operating system.

Offline tntypography

• View Profile
Thanks for the suggestions, here's a summary for other people having the same issue:

1 - I tried Shane's tool with all repairs activated, without effect.
2 - I tried to run the repair install, it went through all the motions to report at the end that this version of Win cannot be installed on my hardware, which is obviously bogus.
3 - I tried the Intel drivers, which completely broke my Win install, preventing it from starting.

Eventually I resorted to re-image my system, with the positive news that it does not delete the full contents of your drive (contrary to many statements floating around online), but only the backed-up partition. Hence, a setup with a System and a Data partition can be quite painlessly restored this way. In my particular case, unfortunately my image already had the update issue, so I still did a clean install.

The bottom line is that the fresh install, or ideally re-imaging from a working image are less time consuming that countless frustrating attempts at repairs. Of course, this only applies if you are not risking any data loss. So my suggestion is bite the bullet straight away.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sometimes things get corrupted to deeply in Windows and a reinstall is the only answer.

90% of problems in Windows come down to settings in the registry. There is on average 1 million+ keys in the registry. And a lot of these keys are very different on each system. Such as drivers, hardware and things like that.

And so as the repair program grows I can only add reg keys that are the same on every system. The ones that are unique to the machine are done when you do the Windows setup.

While my repair tool will grow and get better it can never be perfect and fix everything because of this. But it has helped a lot of people from having to do reinstalls. But sometimes the mess is to deep and a reinstall is the only answer :wink:

You know one thing I never understood. Microsoft has their setup make the reg keys that are unique to the machine during install. Why wouldn't they just make an option to rescan and redo those keys just like the installer would? I guess we will never know :-)

Shane

Offline tntypography

• View Profile
Hi Shane,
I'm sorry if I gave the impression of blaming you or your tool. That was not my intention at all. It's great that it's out there and it's great that it can help fix issues, no doubt about it. I realise that it cannot fix everything, such is Windows live, I guess. ;)
If I'd have another problem like this, I surely would give it at shot again. Maybe just not spent as much time browsing the web for solutions.
Cheers

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth
Re: Windows Update cannot currently update because the service is not running
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 12:43:34 pm »
I wonder if you mean Windows Live Messenger?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Update cannot currently update because the service is not running
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 05:44:21 pm »
Hi Shane,
I'm sorry if I gave the impression of blaming you or your tool. That was not my intention at all. It's great that it's out there and it's great that it can help fix issues, no doubt about it. I realise that it cannot fix everything, such is Windows live, I guess. ;)
If I'd have another problem like this, I surely would give it at shot again. Maybe just not spent as much time browsing the web for solutions.
Cheers

I didn't think you where :-)

Also getting ready to put out v1.9.7, big changes :-)

Shane