Author Topic: error code  (Read 8475 times)

Offline fjack

• View Profile
error code
« on: February 02, 2013, 11:38:48 am »
0x80073cf9 trying to install win 8 app updates from windows store

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: error code
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 05:27:02 pm »
Are you able to do Windows updates? And if not have you ran any of my repair tools yet?

Shane

Offline Tomas_Sweden

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 12:36:01 am »
On Microsoft community forum I found this: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_cp-winapps/cannot-install-windows-8-apps-error-0x80073cf9/97e793dc-4d46-44ab-a7ec-ec4a2b435304

The problem is that the folder AUInstallAgent is missing from the Windows folder.....
"Create the AUInstallAgent folder in the %windir% folder. Reboot after you make it."
I had this problem, recreated the folder and low and behold all is working fine.
Now what I want to know is why the folder disappeared in the first place, because I didn't delete it, and looking around the web I'm not alone....

Also this solution seems to help some people too:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-winapps/this-app-wasnt-installed-error-0x80073cf9/92ec7c44-51ef-4c6a-9331-22958e01b4ec?page=3

"i had the same problem. I think it has to do with the Windows refresh/restore function.
   1. Go to c:\Program Files\
   2. Create folder "WindowsApps"
   3. Restart."

Tomas
Dell Laptop XPS L501X Intel i5-560M(2.66GHz), Win 7 Home Prem(SP1) 64 Bit, 4 GB RAM. Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256 GB.

Offline fjack

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 09:18:56 am »
Microsoft tried your tools that's how I learned of your site windows app folder is in place windows updates are up to date can install apps just cant update installagent folder is intact also

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 10:29:00 am »
The Windows app store is amazingly buggy right now. It is by far one of the easiest things to break.

Also once Microsoft releases more information about the app store (If they ever do) I will get started on a repair tool for it. But I have to find out what it needs first.

So far here is what I have seen.

1. I had to disable my reg permissions repair in Windows 8 because there are some regkeys that if you even touch them in any way Windows will refuse to install apps. Seems to be some sort of DRM or one hell of a bug. Until I can find what keys it doesn't like touched I had to disable the repair. So finding these keys will be needed for any repair tool i make for it.

2. The App Store relies on the Windows update as well. So my Repair Windows Update tool will need to be part of the repair.

3. Folders simply missing will break the app store. You would think the apps tore would make a folder it needs, very surprising it doesn't. So having the repair tool make sure all folders that are needed are made and have the right permissions will be needed.

0x80073cf9 is a common error it seems. So far though it all points to folders needing to be created.

So check if this folder is on your system.

C:\Windows\AUInstallAgent
and
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps

And if they are post a screen shot of the security on the folders.

Shane

Offline gsiamrod

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 11:28:36 am »
fjack, viewing posts for my problem and mine is like yours. Only, I have Vista Home Premium SP2. I believe I created the problem of not being able to access Updates is because Sat. last I went there and it said I needed 1 update and 2 optional. I dnld all and 2 failed. They seem to be for w7! They failed to install & keep getting notice to shut down to allow installation. In meantime, cannot access updates. These show error code 80070BC9. I believe this code applies to W7? I need to find a way to get access to updates! If you find a way, pls. post it. Thanks. Rod
p.s.-Shane, I read what you said. In my case, dif. code, dif. OS-but APPS,Windows update file, AU install Agent all are intact on mine. I'll watch posts to see if a fix is found. Thanks much. Rod

Offline fjack

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 07:51:48 am »
thanks Shane you have more insight than all of the Microsoft level 2 techs i've dealt with they have spent over 10 hours trying to fix this with no success the requested screen shots are attached

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 11:11:47 am »
See if these have the same permissions as yours.

Shane