Author Topic: Keyboard cancels keystrokes.  (Read 6970 times)

Offline Scottopotamus

• View Profile
Keyboard cancels keystrokes.
« on: February 17, 2013, 08:10:31 am »
Hello there!

I've tried searching for a solution to this for about four hours now and I've had no luck.... I thought it was about time I asked for more experienced help.

Today my keyboard has developed an issue wherein it will not revert back to a held down key after another key is pressed. For example if I held down the 'w' (to move forward in a game) and then the 'a' key (to strafe left) I would expect the command input to appear like this on a word document:

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwawwwwwwwwwwwww

However, it appears to cease all input when another key is pressed. I imagine it would look something like this:

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwa

Similarly, if I hold 'w' and press 'space' I stop moving forward altogether as soon as 'space' is pressed.

This issue has only just started today, and I have tried another keyboard to make sure it's not this one causing the problem. I've tried updating the driver software for my keyboard, but it was already up to date. I'm running out of possibilities now ^^;

Please help!

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Keyboard cancels keystrokes.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 01:04:29 pm »
All keyboards have a max amount of keys you can hit at once. Like my keyboard here at home I can hit up to 4 or 5 keys at once before. Yours seems to be set to only 2 for some odd reason.

There is one test you can do to confirm if it is something in Windows or not. One way is to download ubuntu Linux and run it off the cd. You will be in Linux off the cd and see if you have the problem there. Or any other way you can think of to boot into something other than Windows.

If you can confirm that it is Windows with the problem and not your keyboard I can do some research and see what I come up with :-)

Oh if the keyboard is USB, have you tried plugging it into a different USB port?

Shane

Offline Scottopotamus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 02:03:59 pm »
Hello Shane!

Thanks for your quick response, mate! :)

I just booted Ubuntu from the CD and loaded up LibreOffice Writer and I tried the same test as before. I held down the 'a' key and kept it pressed throughout. After a while I held the 'd' key whilst keeping the 'a' key pressed. I then released the 'd' key but still kept the 'a' key held down. This is what was typed out in the end:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaadddddddddddddddd

Before, I could have expected something more like:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaddddddddddddddddaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Apologies for the stupid explanations, but I can't think of any other way of expressing it in writing!

Yeah, I have tried plugging him into different USB ports but he's just not having it! lol I think I may have to see if he works on my Xbox. That's another test that could potentially rule a few things out.

I really can't figure out what it could be. If it was a problem with the keyboard then my other keyboard would work. If it was a problem with Windows then the Ubuntu test would have worked. I suppose it could be a problem somewhere along the lines with the hardware? I have no idea where though.

Another thing I should probably mention is that I've gone through all of my devices today and updated them. My keyboard is a Microsoft Wireless Laser Keyboard 5000 by the way.

Thanks again, mate! :)

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 02:19:51 pm »
So now we rules out it was Windows, good :-)

So now lets rule out if it is the keyboard. Try the same keyboard on another system and test.

If it works fine then we know it isn't the keyboard. That only leaves the motherboard and the usb ports. Which if it is one of those 2 would explain why it happens with another keyboard as well.

Shane

Offline Scottopotamus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 02:22:31 pm »
Hello again Shane!

I have no idea what happened, but it's fixed itself. Games are running fine with both keyboards now.

If I find out what corrected it shall I come back and post it here?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 02:23:45 pm »
Sure, if find out what happened let me know :-)

Shane