Author Topic: Cannot start homebankig software  (Read 19700 times)

Offline lostplanet

• View Profile
Cannot start homebankig software
« on: November 22, 2013, 11:17:08 am »
Hi Shane,

I am newbee here and need some help.

I have Windows 7 Home Premium.

Since Friday last week, 15. November (Windows-Update log told me, that there were two Windows-Updates just before on 13. and 14. November) I could not start my homebanking software StarMoney anymore (maybe more common in Germany then in US). As far as I know the software is based on Microsoft-Access. It's an x86-Programm (32-Bit). Besides that everything else is fine on my computer. No problems with other programs.

Problem report is "There is no database open (DAO.DbEngine - error number 3633: DLL 'MSJET4x.DLL') ca not be loaded." (My translation from original german report.)

I tried system-recovery back to a day when the software did start without problems (Tuesday, 12.November) - no success

I de- and reinstalled the software - no success

I did full scan with antivirus-program - no malware found

I did run chkdsk - the tool found mistakes and repaired them - but no success in regard to start StarMoney

I tried to new-registrate the file "msjet40.dll"
regsvr32 C:\Windows\sysWOW64\msjet40.dll - no success
I tried this also from the prompt in safe mode, changing a) to c:\windows\system32 and b) to c:\windows\syswow64 to get both versions of "regsvr32.exe" to work - no success
Problem report is always: "The modul 'C:\Windows\sysWOW64\msjet40.dll' is possibly not compatible with the windows version, that you want to execute. Check if the module is compatible with a x86-Version (32-Bit) or x64-Version (64-Bit) of 'regsvr.exe'." (My translation from original german report.)

I did run "sfc /scannow" from the prompt in safe mode. Tool worked and told me later, that it
a) found some damaged files
and
b) could not repair some of these files
no success in regard to start StarMoney

Found Your page: pcwintech.com/shanes-toolbox

I did run Your tool "Test MDAC"

Report was:
"Connecting To Test.mdb using DAO...
ERROR!: 3633 - DLL 'MSJET4x.DLL' kann nicht geladen werden.
(Translation: ... could not be loaded.)
Connecting To Test.mdb using ADO...
ERROR!: 3706 - Der Provider kann nicht gefunden werden.
Möglicherweise ist er nicht richtig installiert worden.
(Translation: ... the provider could not be found. Possibly
it was not installed right.)
Done, Test Complete"

Can You please help to go further to solve the problem.

Thank You.

George

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Re: Cannot start homebankig software
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 07:31:04 pm »
Have you checked the cbs.log. There is a way to look in to the files, for which repair could not be done by sfc scannow. You cannot directly open it in that folder . YOu could use this link to open that as text and find the files. You just copy those files from your dvd using 7 zip as instructed by the second link
first link,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833#method3
to see the missing files to know whether it is that much important. If it says that video or jpeg, do not need to copy those files. If it is connected with running of application, like dll files, then take note of it
second link
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/42776-extract-files-windows-7-installation-dvd.html
Hope that this helps you
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline lostplanet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 04:01:15 am »
Hi jraju,

thanks for helping me.

I went to the first link that You gave me and managed to get the "sfcdetails.txt"-file on my desktop. The Log says, that only one file (mswstr10.dll) could not be repaired.

I found two of them on my computer: One in folder C:\Windows\SysWOW64  and another one in C:\Windows\winsxs.

I am not shure, how to proceed. Should I go to step 2 now on the same side that beginns with command "takeown /f ..." or should I instead directly go to the second link that You gave me and work with 7-Zip?

And in case I should stay with the first link and proceed with "takeown /f ...", which file of the two that I found should be adressed in the commands?

To be honest I do not completely understand, what the commands "takeown /f ..." and "icacls ..." exactly will do. But I believe it gives me somehow the rights to deal with the otherwise blocked system-files and execute the following copy-procedure. But which file should be copied? How came the file "jscript.dll" in the example on that page in the folder "E:\temp\"

Somehow confused. Please help. Thank You.

George

Offline lostplanet

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 04:08:32 am »
In addition to my previous post I give You the lines from "sfcdetails.txt":

2013-11-19 17:56:21, Info                  CSI    000002af [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"mswstr10.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-Microsoft-Data-Access-Components-JetIntlErr, Version = 6.1.7600.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
2013-11-19 17:56:22, Info                  CSI    000002b1 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"mswstr10.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-Microsoft-Data-Access-Components-JetIntlErr, Version = 6.1.7600.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
2013-11-19 17:56:22, Info                  CSI    000002b2 [SR] This component was referenced by [l:202{101}]"Microsoft-Windows-Foundation-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7601.17514.WindowsFoundationDelivery"
2013-11-19 17:56:22, Info                  CSI    000002b5 [SR] Could not reproject corrupted file [ml:48{24},l:46{23}]"\??\C:\windows\SysWOW64"\[l:24{12}]"mswstr10.dll"; source file in store is also corrupted

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 04:13:01 am »
Once you see the file missing that could not be copied, go to  the 2nd link, where it was given how to copy the dll files from the dvd. Your operating system. You download 7zip and follow the instructions of how to copy specific missing files.
        I suggest your own dvd source, because, if you download from unknown sources, then you are compromising your computer to that site, which allows you to download the dll files and other files. It is my personal experience.
        By 7zip, you could easily access the inside folders of the same thing , in your dvd and copy. I hope that this file is corrupted in your system as well as in the store. So, You have to copy the same file to the same directory in the computer. The instructions are exhaustive to repeat. Hope you understands. My system has shown so many dll files and microsoft shared, i copied the same file by overwriting the corrupted file in the same location. You have to go to folder options to show all the files, including system files before attempting it.

Offline lostplanet

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 04:22:15 am »
Hi jraju,

should I copy the file with 7-Zip in both folders

C:\Windows\SysWOW64

and

C:\Windows\winsxs    ?

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 04:28:30 am »
Please note that the file location, is c:windows\system32 folder. You have to copy, the required file in to this directory. I am not sure of the location, since your operating system is different. But this is the normal location of all dll files. If system restore is available, then i would not give this solution. Since it was not there, this is the only solution.
              Please go through the instruction in the second link, where it is clearly said, how to access the files in your dvd. Otherwise, i hope that Mr shane would give the link where genuine dll file could be downloaded. Please go through, how to access the dll files in your dvd , in the instructions.

Offline lostplanet

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 06:49:21 am »
I have Windows Home Premium 64-Bit.

This Windows-version has two folders for system-files. On called "System32" that contains 64-Bit-files and another one called "SysWOW64" for 32-Bit-files. Besides that Windows keeps a copy of each file in these two folders in the folder "winsxs" for internal use. This is what I learned in the last days when searching the internet for solving my problem. I assume this copy of the file in "winsxs" is what the problem report adresses when it says "source file in store is also corrupted".

From that and from the problem report and from the search for "mswstr10.dll" on my computer I found that I have two files "mswstr10.dll" on my computer: one in folder C:\Windows\SysWOW64  and another one in C:\Windows\winsxs. The location of the file in "SysWOW64" tells me, that the file is a 32-Bit-file. And the second file in "winsxs" is just the copy that Windows hold for internal use.

Based on these findings my question is: when replacing the file "mswstr10.dll" with 7-Zip, in which folder should I copy the file from my Windows-CD? In both folders (C:\Windows\SysWOW64  and C:\Windows\winsxs) or just in one of them and than somehow asking Windows do the rest of the work? My fear is, that just copying the files in the two folders may be to simple and that it needs some more action, that Windows will accept the files and that they work properly. But maybe I see the things to complicated.

Thank You for help. Maybe Shane could also give a comment to my problem.

George
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 10:16:33 am by lostplanet »

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 11:00:56 am »
The error

"The modul '........................' is possibly not compatible with the windows version, that you want to execute. Check if the module is compatible with a x86-Version (32-Bit) or x64-Version (64-Bit) of 'regsvr.exe'."

means that you tried to register the 32 bit version of a file with the 64 bit version of REGSVR32.exe. You MUST take the 32 bit version of REGSVR32 to register a 32 bit file.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2013, 02:11:39 pm »
And running WR ("Repair MDAC/MS Jet") on a 64 bit system won't help either because WR makes EXACTLY he same mistake/error. Not once but 10 times. Needs to fixed in the next WR version. For the time being you'll have to fix it manually.

E.g. "%windir%\syswow64\regsvr32 %windir%\syswow64\msjet40.dll"

Offline lostplanet

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013, 03:29:10 pm »
Hi Willy2,

thanks for joining this thread.

I believe, that I allready did, what You suggested. At first I started the 32-Bit-version of "regsvr.exe" with this command:
"c:\windows\syswow64\regsvr32.exe c:\windows\syswow64\msjet40.dll"
Got the compatibilty error-message.

Then I started the 64-Bit-version of "regver.exe" with this command:
"c:\windows\system32\regsvr32.exe c:\windows\syswow64\msjet40.dll"
Got the same  compatibilty error-message.

Somehow frustrating.
George
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 04:31:15 pm by lostplanet »

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 10:56:11 pm »
What's the file size of REGSVR32.exe in both System32 & Syswow64 ? Mine are ~19kb & ~14 kb (Win 7 64 bit).

Offline lostplanet

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2013, 05:35:09 am »
Hi Willy2,

good idea to check the file-size, because what you expect is two different files "regsvr.exe".

But this is given on my computer in the same way, as on yours.

They also have slightly different dates:

System32:  19 KB     14.07.2009  03:39

SysWOW64: 14,5 KB     14.07.2009  03:14

For me this looks reasonable.

George

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 04:33:08 am »
Hi,,Lostplanet

My internet was out of order . I am enclosing this file for your system. Please copy this to your system, C:windows\system32 folder. please read the instructions especially 12 , if there is any copying problem. Ok. This is for windows  home premium 32 bit ok

Offline lostplanet

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 12:14:17 pm »
Hi jraju,

thank You for answering and sending me that file.

Unfortunately I left home today for a longer journey. Therefore I cannot work with my computer in the next time. But when I am back I will check Your proposal and will give a report.

George

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2013, 07:48:24 pm »
Thanks guys for helping him out :-)

I was gone this weekend with the wife and kids.

lostplanet, when you get back let me know if you still need any help :-)

Shane

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2013, 12:06:42 am »
- Try this:
1. Open CMD.exe with admin rights.
2. type the following commands:

cd /d %windir%\system32
regsvr32 msjet40.dll /u
cd /d %windir%\syswow64
regsvr32 msjet40.dll /u
regsvr32 msjet40.dll

(The second command removes the registration of "msjet40.dll"). What are the replies of your system when you type these commands ?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 12:10:41 am by Willy2 »

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2013, 09:43:35 am »
@Lostplanet: You didn't tell if you have used Windows Repair All-In-One (WR) available from www.tweaking.com. Run the program with (at least) repairs #1-3 & 7. Perhaps that will solve the problem adn please reply even when it has helped to solve your problem.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2013, 11:38:38 pm »
@Jraju: files for MSJET are 32 bit files and therefore located in a the SYSWOW64 folder on a 64 bit system and in the SYSTEM32 folder on a 32 bit system.

Files for MDAC are located in one or more subfolders of %programfiles%.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2013, 04:53:48 am »
Hi, willy, These system files are also stored in dvd in the same place, as i understand.If the files on the computer is corrupted or damaged, or accidently deleted while uninstalling some programs prompting to delete some files. So all the files needed may be available in the dvd, with 7zip , you could choose your system needed files to get back. Normally dll files are stored in system 32. Shane is this correct

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2013, 02:42:27 pm »
Normally dll files are stored in system 32. Shane is this correct

Files that the system uses yes, not the ones it can pull from to restore those. Those are normally on the dvd or in the winisxs folder.

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2013, 06:28:08 pm »
Thank you shane for valuable information.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2014, 06:47:58 am »
This post is only meant to bring this (un-locked) thread back to the top of the forum topics.