Author Topic: Windows firewall won't start  (Read 8700 times)

Offline Hamade

• View Profile
Windows firewall won't start
« on: September 25, 2014, 01:55:08 am »
Hi

It is set to start automatically but it doesn't. It won't start manually either. When I try to start it I receive the following error message: " Windows could not start the Windows Firewall on Local Computer. for more information, review the system event log. If this is a non-microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 13".
I don't have another active firewall. And I already tried the automatic windows firewall fix tool from Microsoft.
The computer was infected with a lot of viruses and malware but I scanned it with many programs many times and I can say that it's clean now.
Can anyone please help?

My System Spec:
Computer Type: Laptop
System Manufacturer: Asus K35S
CPU: Intel Core i5
RAM: 4 GB
Graphics Card: Geforce GT 520MX
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 01:57:12 am by Hamade »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows firewall won't start
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 06:05:33 am »
A system file check may be able to reinstate the firewall which is done by going Start Orb > type cmd.exe > right click on cmd and select Run as administrator > accept the UAC > type sfc /scannow at the prompt and press enter to see what that reports.

You can also go Start Orb > type services.msc > press enter and check that the Base Filtering Engine, RPC (RPCSS) and Windows Firewall services are showing as Started and Automatic then go into Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices > Non Plug and Play Drivers > scroll down to the bottom to check that Windows Firewall Authorization Driver doesn't have a yellow alert next to it - but right click on it and select Properties.

It will show if it's working properly under the General tab, but check under the Driver tab that it is set to Demand and that the Start box is greyed out which will denote it is started - otherwise click the Start button > OK.

If you have problems with the Authorization Driver then you can restore it with the batch file from  http://batcmd.com/windows/7/services/mpsdrv/ after selecting your version of Win 7 and SP1 from the dropdowns.

You could download Windows Firewall from http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/win-services/7/MpsSvc.reg and the BFE from http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/win-services/7/BFE.reg if required but run this ESET Services Repair Tool to see if that can get things going again http://kb.eset.com/library/ESET/KB%20Team%20Only/Malware/ServicesRepair.exe

If you download the Firewall and BFE then you will need to go into services.msc to start them.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 06:20:53 am by Boggin »

Offline Hamade

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 12:09:16 pm »
- The system file check didn't find any integrity violations.
- The Base Filtering Engine and the RPC and the Windows Firewall services are set to automatic. But only the first two started. And the Windows Firewall Authorization Driver is working properly and doesn't have a yellow alert next to it. The start up type is set to Demand and it has started.
- I tried the ESET Services Repair Tool.
- I also downloaded and applied the Windows Firewall and the BFE.
- The problem is there!

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 01:06:10 pm »
Did you run all the repairs in my Windows Repair tool yet?

Shane