Author Topic: Never Goes Beyond Reset Registry Permissions - Solved  (Read 10251 times)

Offline boweasel

• View Profile
Never Goes Beyond Reset Registry Permissions - Solved
« on: July 24, 2015, 09:03:51 am »
I began to run the tool last night before I went to bed.  Over 8 hours later it was still running and seemed to still be on the first step..  I stopped the repairs, unchecked everything except for Reset Registry Permissions, and started the repairs.  Forty minutes later, and it's still running.

I had previously run Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, JRT and Hitman Pro 3.  Only the AdwCleaner and JRT found anything.  SFC / Scannow did find some integrity violations but was unable to fix all of them.  Chkdsk ran clean.

Enclosed is the Log from the 8.5+ hour run, and a screenshot from the current Step1 repair.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 12:46:04 pm by boweasel »

Offline Samson

• View Profile
Re: Never Goes Beyond Reset Registry Permissions
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 09:19:35 am »
That is an older version of Windows Repair that you are running there v 3.0.0

The latest version is v3.2.5
http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 01:31:27 pm »
I began to run the tool last night before I went to bed.  Over 8 hours later it was still running and seemed to still be on the first step..  I stopped the repairs, unchecked everything except for Reset Registry Permissions, and started the repairs.  Forty minutes later, and it's still running.

I had previously run Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, JRT and Hitman Pro 3.  Only the AdwCleaner and JRT found anything.  SFC / Scannow did find some integrity violations but was unable to fix all of them.  Chkdsk ran clean.

Enclosed is the Log from the 8.5+ hour run, and a screenshot from the current Step1 repair.
have you ran the program in safe mode? some antivirus programs and other 3rd party programs get in the way. if you upgrade to the most current version of windows repair you will have a safe mode button that makes it a couple clicks away from safe mode :D
Julian

Offline boweasel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 10:46:11 pm »
Thanks, guys!  Why the version I was running should be so flawed is a mystery, but 3.2.5 did the trick.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 12:16:00 am »
Wow v3.0.0 is from march 2015, how on earth did you have such a old copy and it didnt tell you there was an update?

Also always run the repairs in safe mode :-)

Shane

Offline boweasel

• View Profile
Re: Never Goes Beyond Reset Registry Permissions - Solved
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 09:59:15 am »
Wow v3.0.0 is from march 2015, how on earth did you have such a old copy and it didnt tell you there was an update?
The v3.0.0.0 was downloaded through bleepingcomputer.com.  I accessed that website via a Google search with the problematic laptop.  Duplicating that same search on another non-problematic laptop and selecting bleepingcomputer still has me download v3.0.0.  And yes I did see that an update was available, but the problem child was running soooo slow and it took soooo long to go through the sfc scan, the chkdsk, the download and install of your tool, that I just went with what I'd already installed.  Besides, I've been using Tweaking's All-in-one repair for a number of years, and I'm sure that back in March, when 3.0.0 was current, I'd used it without any problems.  I certainly understand that you always want people to use the most current version of an application, but that shouldn't affect the functionality of older copies of that same software.  Internet Explorer 10 didn't stop working when they came out with IE11 
Also always run the repairs in safe mode :-)
Shane
Yes, I did run both 3.0.0 and 3.2.5 in safe mode.  And I can find no way to change this topic to (Solved).  I tried changing the heading to no available, and there seems to be no button or checkbox for that function.  Why not just put an empty check box after 'Don't use smileys' and label it 'Solved'?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 10:06:38 am by boweasel »

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 10:32:33 am »
If you go back to your first post...select modify, then you can add "SOLVED" to the thread title. (As it appears that you have done in your last post), but this will mark the whole thread as "SOLVED".

Offline boweasel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 12:11:32 pm »
If you go back to your first post...select modify, then you can add "SOLVED" to the thread title. (As it appears that you have done in your last post), but this will mark the whole thread as "SOLVED".
Okay.  I just rather thought that if a topic was marked Solved there would be some indication on the Computer Help page - the page that lists the topics.  For me, I see nothing to tell me that the thread has been solved.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 12:32:14 pm »
Okay.  I just rather thought that if a topic was marked Solved there would be some indication on the Computer Help page - the page that lists the topics.  For me, I see nothing to tell me that the thread has been solved.

That is exactly what happens. Modify your first post thread title by adding "solved".